View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ladyjack
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I also feed Burns to both my dogs and I always add a little tuna,pilchard, or just a little gravy made from half an oxo cube, (no salt in oxo)

Glenice.
sylviad
New Member!
Female 

14-05-2010, 09:46 PM
As long as your puppy will eat dry kibble, he will be fine. The thing is, they need to exercise their gums and teeth by chewing on more solid items, like kibble and certain chew toys. Dry kibble can provide that "cleaning" activity as it will scrape away any developing tartar.

Someone said their puppy choked to death on dry kibble by inhaling it. It is not likely a common event and probably was just an unfortunate accident. There could have been underlying factors, such as puppy age, breed, congential problems. Dogs with pushed-in faces, like pugs, often have problems with their breathing.

Also, dogs have different inherited traits that can affect their teeth. Some can eat soft food and have no problems, while others develop dental problems. So a lot can depend on your dog's breed.

To be on the safe side, I'd say that feeding dry kibble and moist on occasion for a change, is best.

Another excellent topping for kibble is fish oil. It helps keep their coats shiny.

Sylvia
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2010, 08:43 AM
I know my friends dog was recently put down after choking on dry kibble and the complications from that (it was an adult dog)

I still feed my puppy dry kibble though, mainly because he just looks at me like I am mad when I give it to him soaked.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 01:23 PM
For adult dogs I tend to add warm water (but do not soak) the kibble. I also add a bit of wet food for extra flavour. If your dog eats all its food and liquid straight away, (as mine do) you will still have the crunch of the dried -good for the teeth - and the added liquid will help with he need to drink so much after the dried feed. It is amazing how much dried food expands (and I sometimes think about it expanding in the stomach - because it is very concentrated it is easy to overestimate amounts and it is important not to over feed with dried.
Puppies starting out weaning, or when very young, I think should always have the kibble fully soaked.
Chico's Mum
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Ladyjack.
Are you sure there is no salt in Oxo cubes? If I add Oxo cube to my casseroles I don't add salt because it is salty enough for my taste with the Oxo cube?????
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:20 AM
my pup is 14 weeks tommorrow, she wil eat kibble soaked or hard, I dont soak over night, just poour hot water on & wait till its cooled then add her meat.

I will keep soaking till her teething is done as i dont like pups to be put off eating at 4months by having pain when eating
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2