View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2012, 02:02 AM

Do you think shows should be cancelled or postponed in unsafe driving conditions?

Some one I know Is disappointed they can't go to Welks tomorrow as planned as the person who was taking them is unwilling to drive in rain. And gale force wind as they feel driving conditions unsafe.reading though a few dog forums other people feel the same its not cheap to enter these shows so I'm asking exhibitors where do you draw the line and decide yours and your dogs safety comes before. Winning a rosette at breed or agility shows you.be entered months. In advance..I saw someone ask earlier on a forum why dog shows Dont have the same policy schools do in bad weather.ice.snow.gale force winds etc that make driving conditions hazardous.I was looking forward to hearing how my friends pup did as well .
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 06:20 AM
I think it's disappointing but would be a very difficult decision for a big three day show, logistically and financially. I don't think there have been many absentees for WELKS (as far as I know), still today to go, and some parts of the country don't have severe weather. It's not something you can really plan for. How would you let all of the exhibitors know at such short notice?

I remember Blackpool being abandoned on the third day a few years back, I can't remember what happened about the entry fees though.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 06:41 AM
The second day of a two day agility show at Newbury showground has been cancelled but more to do with the conditions at the showground rather than the driving conditions. I would have thought the latter would be left up to the individual.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2012, 06:42 AM
With all the forward planning that has to go into such shows, I cannot see how they could be postponed - and cancelling at such short notice would be an impossibility - as moetmum said, how would you let all of the exhibitors know?

People have to decide for themselves whether their safety is more important than losing entry fees and rosettes IMO.

Edited to add that I once cancelled a longed for and much wanted holiday at the last minute [with no refund] because of driving conditions. I refused to risk the lives of my children and myself.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 06:47 AM
What rosettes Malka! We win a bit of cardboard with printing on it. We go to meet our friends and have a day out, if we are extremely lucky we might win a rosette, we would have to be best puppy, best dog or best bitch.

The dogs enjoy meeting their friends too.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2012, 07:00 AM
They were at newbury yesterday and witnessed road accidents thats what caused them to re_evalute today.last night they were adament they were not driving but feeling very dissapointed after a week of prep i am hoping they changed mind in early hours but very unlikely.in answer to how could you let everyone know,same way schools do fosse data.web or radio stations.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
With all the forward planning that has to go into such shows, I cannot see how they could be postponed - and cancelling at such short notice would be an impossibility - as moetmum said, how would you let all of the exhibitors know?
Most agility shows now have a central telephone number that folk can ring to get a message. If the conditions are bad enough to warrant cancelling, it would be expected that people would have some idea beforehand and ring the number if they want to check. After all the rain we have had, you would surely stop and think whether you would want your dog slipping and sliding around a muddy ring anyway and I know from 'another site' that many competitors had already made the decision themselves. My personal circumstances were already keeping me at home but I wouldn't have gone anyway.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 07:23 AM
No I dont. The show will make provision for wet weather. They cannot control it, nobody can. You pays your money and takes your chance or makes your choice.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2012, 07:24 AM
An event at hop farm has been cancelled info from a well known networking site.just had a noisy at fosse data no mention of situation but i do know looking though dog forums even people living within an hr of showground were having doubts.i dont have a pedigree dog at minute but id like to think once i had entered i had made a commitment to attend whatever the weather but in practice that may not be practical.i have got a dog that trains in agility and once his ready to compete at kc shows id like to think thats where our. Motorhome would come in handy.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
They were at newbury yesterday and witnessed road accidents thats what caused them to re_evalute today.last night they were adament they were not driving but feeling very dissapointed after a week of prep i am hoping they changed mind in early hours but very unlikely.in answer to how could you let everyone know,same way schools do fosse data.web or radio stations.
Not everyone is a fan of the internet, radio wouldn't be any good as people travel out of their area and you would have to be listening at the time. I wouldn't be happy if I had travelled the night before and stayed in a hotel having driven for 3 hours. It has to be a choice made by exhibitors in this instance.

I do remember when S Wales changed venue from Builth Wells to Newbury, I was gutted as I would have entered if I had known it would end up an hour away! That decision was made a couple of weeks in advance due to flooding at the time.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >