View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2012, 12:56 PM
I cant see why you would have problems getting another older Portie, many breeders will at some point have one to re home, why not put your name on breeders waiting lists, for an older retired dog, (or a return), if you are in no hurry , it may be an option.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I have three, and I don't find it too difficult.
The jump from 1 to 2 is a bit harder to start with, because everything is doubled..2 to 3 isn't as big a jump however
I don't find things any harder, so Im sure you'll manage
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I found it difficult to adjust at the beginning. I found that many people weren't as supportive when I had two. I had my own flat at the time with a friend and the oh. We all agreed getting a second dog was right for us and agreed totts was the right addition. But when she got home that changed my oh didn't want to be seen with her and my family didn't like her at all.

I had only ever owned one dog. I had experienced dogs with issues afyer rehoming with muffin but totts had so many problems we had not anticipated. I knew she wasn't trained and had lived outside with dogs, I had no idea she would be so skittish, nervous and afraid of everything. The first few weeks were very difficult as I tried to adjust to owning two dogs, not having the support of those I had been told I could rely on and behaviour problems I did not know how to handle. I was so overwhelmed walking them was a real challenge I forgot everything I knew about training under the pressure. To top things of she then went into heat which I was told wouldn't be due for another month or so. (i had only ever owned entire dogs or one spayed bitch) Then when I had the chance to get myself and her back on track she went into phantom. I learned though and I have learned so much from owning her.

Muffin has changed so much for the better. Which I didn't envisage. Their bond is so beautiful to see. I will post pictures of the difference from when I first rehomed her to when they became best friends. Totts relied entirely on muffin while learning to trust us

My girls sleep while I'm at work. The don't play often although amber and totts play when off lead.

My training club gave me a discount for every dog I train. Usual cost for one dog is 16 a month. I can train all 3 of mine for 30 a month.

Totts and muffins coats both cast but totts has those short hairs that get caught and stick in everything and muffins coat is the type that comes away in clumps and turns everything black that she's touched. So the extra fit was very noticeable for me

My dogs all like to need a trip to the vet at the same time, very costly.

The jump from two to 3 was definitely not as challenging.

That's just my experience of the jump though. I think if you have the support, the time and space go for it.

I would never go back to owning one dog itself now. Owning 2+ is just even more rewarding if possible.
winstoncaesar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2012, 01:56 PM
i find my only problems is my first pup i got winston get jelous of my newer pup caesar and goes and sits on my nans laps giving me evils!!

I love both my boys and they are such fun to watch playing and working together in the fields!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
The only downside apart from more expense, mess and cleaning all of which we are more than happy to do and love having two dogs so wouldnt change a thing.

But the only potential problem we could have in the future, and on odd ocassions now for the short time we do it, is the potential for separation anxiety if for some reason one of the dogs isnt there. We experience this more with one than the other for instance if one needed a vet visit that wasnt necessary for the other. So i guess this would be much worse in our case if one was hospitalised for any reason.
Ditto this, Fred would quite happily live on his own he was not fussed one bit when Mya was in having her spay Mya pines for Fred if he's not there so this can be a nightmare.
But they are lovely together, I love having 2 woofs
Edited to add mine sleep when we are not in too. They tend to play when off lead on walks, or should i say Mya tries to encourage Fred to play but Fred is too busy sniffing and peeing on bushes hehe
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
I have owned 1, then two and then three together, and I must agree the jump form 2 to 3 isn't so shocking, but I preferred it when I had two.

1. If you had a boy and a girl you can use a coupler which means you only use 1 lead, but be warned taking two male dogs this way, one always gets wee'd on.

2. Training them to wait while you pick the poo up is no problem.

3. Travelling in the car I have always used a Clix Harness clipped into the seat belt in the back, secures your dog/dogs safely. My dog Alfie stands in the back until I clip it on now, and then he lies down and falls asleep.

Otherwise, 2 should be fine.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Having two dogs is wonderful but, as everyone else has said, costs are doubled with vet, insurance, holiday kenneling etc. My two play together at home and out so I dread to think what life would be like if we were in a tiny house as quite often their tug o wars take up a lot of space!! I walk them with friends spaniels but the spaniels are, like someone said, led by their nose and rarely interact with the other dogs, too busy getting caught in the brambles of the hedges!! I like the fact that mine have each other for company when I go out. As far as training goes, the young one learnt all the good things from the older one! Brill!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I have two bitches, a 7 year old greyhound and a 4 year old lurcher. I had the grey 3 years before i got the lurcher.

My two get on ok, they will run together whilst offlead and sometimes lay together, my lurcher is much livelier than my greyhound.

I have 3 here at the moment as i foster dogs so i often have three to walk. Not a problem, 2 on one side and one on the other. I use the wait command as well for poo picking up if they are onlead.

So no much difference from 1 to 2 i don't think apart from the obvious, 2 x food, 2 x insurance etc etc
Chocolatechien
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I moved from one dog to two about a year ago as I thought company for my bitch was sensible but was then very shocked to discover she didn't want or like the new dog!
It took about 4 months for the resentment to subside and 6 months before they enjoyed each others company- so much so Im considering getting a third! It's a completely different dog owning experience as they naturally like to compete with each other however that makes them easier to train but I did spend 6 months thinking "What have I done?!"
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I know David already said that he realises the cost of things will be doubled but I dont think it really hits you until you see something the dogs need or want.

Beds are my biggest nightmare, even rubbish beds I find are very costly. I'd love to buy Tuffies beds for my lot and at around £90 for the size I want, it's very expensive IMO but I could afford to buy one. Then when you realise you are looking at £360 for 3 beds (because of course the dogs are going to want one each to save squabbles over who gets the best bed) then it becomes unaffordable.

So for me, a big practicality to consider is that whilst buying a single item may be affordable, does buying 2 make it unaffordable?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2