Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:51 PM

It finally happened

After months of being incredibly patient while other dogs go for him and snap at him for no reason, we were out for our walk today and he was playing football with the children we were with when this dog came over. He sniffed and the jack russell snapped at him which he ignored (as usual) and went back to playing ball but the dog wouldn't leave him alone and went for him about 5 more times with Boris moving out of the way each time. Eventually Boris got fed up and went for it which is the first time he's ever done this (he's 14 mths). He didn't hurt it but did see it off quite determinedly. The OH shouted no at him just out of automatic reaction but I'm wondering, should you tell them off if another dog has pushed their buttons repeatedly or just let them get on with it provided it's just noise and no biting involved?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Tempting as it is, I wouldn't leave him to it. As a large dog he'll get the blame if any other dog is injured and people will be screaming dangerous dog at you. At the end of the day, you can't allow him to react because he is so big.

What did the JRT owner say? They are going to get their dog killed allowing it to behave like that.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 09:24 PM
i would definitely stop him, not if he just gave the dog a wee telling off (jake gets that a lot, and needs to so he can learn some manners!) but if it goes anymore than that, i would stop him.

it wouldnt be nice for anyone, if the other dog (JRT in this case) was injured. and the owners of the dog should be in control, so they are responsible. i dont think it is fair for boris to have to take that, but its also not fair for the JRT to get hurt as the owners should have stopped him.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:52 PM
You need to protect him in that situation, don't allow the other dogs to do that to him.

Water pistols work well!

rune
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2010, 12:10 AM
The JRT's owner said that his dog deserved it so he wasn't cross or anything. As a big dog Boris puts up with a lot of smaller dogs going for him and he just ignores them but this was over and over again. Next time I think I need to be more proactive and step in to stop it happening -I'm afraid this time I seemed to be frozen to the spot for some reason!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 12:43 AM
It only takes one time. Trust me I know. I cannot walk kismet on one if our favourite fields because she has been labled dangerous and now she has to wear a muzzle all because one pushy westie was just one agressive little dog too many and she took him down. The dog was unhurt but breaking them up it's owner was bitten - by his own dog I hasten to add- but it's kismet that's been labled the monster.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Fluffypup View Post
The JRT's owner said that his dog deserved it so he wasn't cross or anything. As a big dog Boris puts up with a lot of smaller dogs going for him and he just ignores them but this was over and over again. Next time I think I need to be more proactive and step in to stop it happening -I'm afraid this time I seemed to be frozen to the spot for some reason!
but why did the owner stand back and watch his dog doing that to yours?? i would have told him to get his dog away from mine. i think the water pistol is a good idea, that way you can get other dogs away without boris having to do it.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
It only takes one time. Trust me I know. I cannot walk kismet on one if our favourite fields because she has been labled dangerous and now she has to wear a muzzle all because one pushy westie was just one agressive little dog too many and she took him down. The dog was unhurt but breaking them up it's owner was bitten - by his own dog I hasten to add- but it's kismet that's been labled the monster.
That's so unfair. It drives me nuts that a lot of small dogs are allowed to get away with murder. A couple of weeks ago I was just finishing a walk and Dan, Rogue and my two kids were back in the car, I went to fetch Rio who was lagging behind and some guy let four JRTs out of his car they ran straight up, had a proper go at Rio and one of them grabbed my boot and the bottom of my jeans. If I allowed Rio or Dan to do that they'd be labelled dangerous dogs in a heartbeat. Thanks god the kids and little Rogue were safely away though, otherwise I may have been wearing JRT shaped slippers! Lol!
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't know why he didn't do anything. We have quite a few dog owners like that around here, they seem to feel a big dog can take it and should take it. I doubt if he would let his dog do it to a smaller dog but, like a lot of people, he probably has the attitude if it's a big dog, it's ok. He did say oh stop it halfheartedly but made no move towards him so he carried on. If my dog was going for another dog for no reason at all I'd be horrified and stop him straightaway so it's hard to understand owners who aren't bothered. The water pistol is a good idea, thanks.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:13 AM
why do owners let there dogs run up to others and think its ok it makes me so angry i have trained my two they have to wait to be released to go play with other dogs yet as in this case when a dog comes and trys it on and my dogs retaliate there the the nasty bull breeds its so wrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >