View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2006, 06:54 AM
thanks everyone for your advice! i've decided i'm not going to give up on him (think i've just had a bad couple of days and maybe i've been getting a bit frustrated)....he has too many good qualities that out-weigh the bad ones. i've come to realise its not his fault re his re-call and pulling and any other undesirable behaviour he has. i've just got to undo all the damage that has been done before i got him. so i've decided i'm going to start from scratch for the recall (basically treat him as a puppy) and use a different word other than 'come'. i'm also going to do more lead work in the garden. i do heel-work off-lead in the garden which he's great at! . so thanks again everyone
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2006, 08:19 AM
he is very good. he's very quiet and unassuming in the house and garden, and will just lie down and chill out. he has a mad blast round the garden every now and then, but otherwise his behaviour is great. he's great with my other springer girl too. i've just started clicker training with him and he's picking it up very quickly. he can do all sorts of tricks now! he's doing really well training and agility classes too.

my problem is he becomes a totally different dog outside. its as if every walk is his first and last one. its 100% per hour everywhere! which i dont mind, but when he came to me his recall was non-existent and his manners on the lead were terrible, so he's on a long line all the time. i get pulled around all over most of the time. i have tried to take him to 'boring' places to try and keep him calm, but it doesn't make any difference. i am always practising recall at home and round the garden which he responds to immediately (by whistle), but outside is a different matter. i blow the whistle, jump up and down, shake his treat box, sometimes he comes, sometimes not! at the moment i feel i'm never gonna be able to let him off his lead and let him have a real good run. i just think he'll just rocket off into the distance! so, do i perserve with him, or do i hand him back to the rescue centre and see if someone with more experience can help him? i love him to bits but sometimes walking him is more of a chore than a joy (he gets walked at least 2 hours daily, plus all the training that i do with him). and i cannot take him to the places that i used to enjoy with my other springer because he'd just pull me all over because there would be too much to see and smell and i just think it would blow his mind! sorry to go on......
Hi Springergirl may I make a couple of observations, firstly I think I posted this link for you before...http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8049

Sam sounds a lovely dog and perfect for you, ok he has a couple of minor faults because things may have happened to him to make his behaviour as it is. It may take a long time and a lot of hard work to get a good recall, with practise and as his trust in you grows it may improve but on the other hand he may never have a good recall, but that doesn't mean he can't go for walks and enjoy his life with you .

Are his manners on the lead still bad? If so I would tackle that problem first and I would do so when out with him alone and on a normal lead not a line so he gets used to control.

If Sam were mine I would plod away slowly at the recall and although it is a good thing to have it isn't everything, I would try to accept and enjoy Sam as he is with all his many good attributes ....If you return him to the rescue are you sure someone will take him on who can do a better job or love him more than you do?

I doubt anyone else will do more for him than you have Springergirl, it sounds as if you have come a long way with him already, he could be a lot worse off if returned to the rescue and re homed again
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2006, 08:48 AM
hi minihaha,

thanks for your reply.....it made my cry . i can't believe i was ever thinking of giving him up...think it was just a moment of frustration, and maybe inexperience! but i will plod on with him. think i'll start taking him out on a shorter long line, just to gain some control! i think i am so obsessed with the recall thing because i dont want to resign him to a life on the lead, i want to see him running free through the long grass, through the woods etc with my other springer.

he is getting better on the lead, i will just have to practice more with him.....around the garden etc., not just when we're going for 'walkies'.

thanks for giving me a shake mini!!!!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
hi GSDLover,

i've just purchased a mikki harness off ebay, so i'll see how he goes on with that! think i'm just gonna start from scratch with the lead training and recall training. see how he gets on. went to our obedience class last night and he behaved wonderfully!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by springergirl
hi GSDLover,

i've just purchased a mikki harness off ebay, so i'll see how he goes on with that! think i'm just gonna start from scratch with the lead training and recall training. see how he gets on. went to our obedience class last night and he behaved wonderfully!
For what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing -- stepping back, deep breath, and hitting it with a fresh and renewed perspective.

Please do keep me up to date if possible, whether by the forum, PM, or email. I'll be interested to hear how things progress.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2006, 01:03 PM
thanks GSDLover........think maybe i was over-reacting and not thinking about the good things that he's learnt. so big breath and start again!! good luck with your little horror too
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:12 PM
We still have pulling problems with Loki, despite having him from 7 weeks old, treat training and stop-start training. He knows all the commands but maybe it's the sled dog inhim - he just wants to forge ahead. I still work on it but for days when I need to get somewhere or have a buggy with me etc., I use a dogmatic halter. He hates it but can't pull at all .

I thought about a harness but worried it would encourage him to get his head down and pull for all he's worth - think husky pack and sled?

As for recall - perfect if there are no other distractions I think you have to make coming to you more worthwhile than anything else but even if I had a huge marrow bone in my hand I don't think I'll ever compete with another dog, live prey etc. Maybe your dog is similar?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Springergirl It may take a long time and a lot of hard work to get a good recall, with practise and as his trust in you grows it may improve but on the other hand he may never have a good recall, but that doesn't mean he can't go for walks and enjoy his life with you .

Are his manners on the lead still bad? If so I would tackle that problem first and I would do so when out with him alone and on a normal lead not a line so he gets used to control.

If Sam were mine I would plod away slowly at the recall and although it is a good thing to have it isn't everything, I would try to accept and enjoy Sam as he is with all his many good attributes ....If you return him to the rescue are you sure someone will take him on who can do a better job or love him more than you do?

I doubt anyone else will do more for him than you have Springergirl, it sounds as if you have come a long way with him already, he could be a lot worse off if returned to the rescue and re homed again
Excellent advice from Mini. I really have my work cut out with Loki (he hates other dogs as well as pulling on lead and non-existant recall around distractions) but in every other way he is a wonderful, sweet-natured, loving friend and I couldn't be without him. We just have to tailor things a bit - go a bit further afield for runs/games of fetch, etc.

Really hope things work out for you and this little dog.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 07:04 PM
My dog has a brilliant recall at home and at his training class and also in the woods if it is near to the end of his walk and there is nothing to distract him BUT not so good at the start of a walk or if he spots something in the distance before me.

I have decided I am going to have a try at recall with a whistle as I was talking to someone else who used a whistle due to her dog having a nonexistent recall. He now returns to her at first call and at the speed of light.

I am still researching it at the moment so can't give any details yet but it may be something you could perhaps do with your dog.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I think it's quite common- they are so excited at the start of the walk; it's all too much and they push ahead out of sheer excitement and on the way home it's a done deal and they've done what they need to do so they slow down.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >