View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Personally, I would remove the bed you have now, and get two new beds. Make it clear which bed belongs to whom. Mine share beds, but if I tell them to get in their beds, they know which ones are theirs. I also have an old cat bed under the kitchen table, which has somehow become Jakes. When I give them chews or bones, Jake takes his under the table, and Simon takes his into his bed. On no account would I let one try to invade their personal space and try to take their treat.

I also don't leave toys or chews lying about (tbh, they are usually eaten or destroyed), but if they are left, I remove them.

As has been said, a growl on itself is communication. For instance, mine are always fed side by side, and generally eat quietly. If I've given them something REALLY good, Jake will growl into his food as he is eating (wonder he doesn't choke!) He is not being aggressive. He is saying "mine,mine,mine don't even think about it!" Simon will also growl if the cat is mad enough to show an interest.

As for the bed thing, I presume you mean your bed? First time one of mine tried that they would be off. Getting on my bed is a privilege, I say who gets on.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:35 PM
sorry I havent read all the way through and I'm sure you may have had better advice etc but does rex have a place of his own (i.e. a crate he can get peace with a chew..)?

And is Duke 'clingy' with Rex?

I have to agree with some of the others though, to tell off a growl isnt always such a bad thing, I'd probably give an 'hey' when he started...depends on situation I suppose....

edit - defending food is one thing but instigating where your GSD isnt interested in him is another. The growling while being leaned on though, he might just want peace to lie without him....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
im going to put another bed in the living room so thery can have their own space but still be in the room with us.
Do you think i should let them go to whichever bed they want or make one dukes and one rex's?
I think you need to pick whos bed is whos before rex does or it will just be another place to fight over
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Personally, I would remove the bed you have now, and get two new beds. Make it clear which bed belongs to whom. Mine share beds, but if I tell them to get in their beds, they know which ones are theirs. I also have an old cat bed under the kitchen table, which has somehow become Jakes. When I give them chews or bones, Jake takes his under the table, and Simon takes his into his bed. On no account would I let one try to invade their personal space and try to take their treat.

Thats a good idea about the beds as if i just get 1 new one they will both want it!!

I also don't leave toys or chews lying about (tbh, they are usually eaten or destroyed), but if they are left, I remove them.

As has been said, a growl on itself is communication. For instance, mine are always fed side by side, and generally eat quietly. If I've given them something REALLY good, Jake will growl into his food as he is eating (wonder he doesn't choke!) He is not being aggressive. He is saying "mine,mine,mine don't even think about it!" Simon will also growl if the cat is mad enough to show an interest.

thats sounds abit to similar to what duke has started doing, when rex is licking out his bowl, duke starts to growl, i think hes just saying just because you've finished yours don't try and get mine!!

As for the bed thing, I presume you mean your bed? First time one of mine tried that they would be off. Getting on my bed is a privilege, I say who gets on.
i mean their bed, there not allowed upstairs as rex gets too guardy over my room
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
sorry I havent read all the way through and I'm sure you may have had better advice etc but does rex have a place of his own (i.e. a crate he can get peace with a chew..)?

And is Duke 'clingy' with Rex?

Rex hasn't got a crate but he sometimes goes halfway upstairs on the bigger step and duke won't try and go up there, but to be honest most of the time duke isn't even trying to get what hes got just rex thinks he is.
I wouldn't say clingy, he used to want to lie with him when he was younger but rex wouldn't have none of it

I have to agree with some of the others though, to tell off a growl isnt always such a bad thing, I'd probably give an 'hey' when he started...depends on situation I suppose....

edit - defending food is one thing but instigating where your GSD isnt interested in him is another. The growling while being leaned on though, he might just want peace to lie without him....
rex does seem to be a loner as in he doesn't want to do anything with duke but hes just always been like that, quite sad really as i think duke would like a dog to curl up with, play with etc
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:28 PM
rex does seem to be a loner as in he doesn't want to do anything with duke but hes just always been like that, quite sad really as i think duke would like a dog to curl up with, play with etc
you could always send Duke down here coz Zena is desperate for a playmate, Georgie's always too tired now Mind you, I'm quite enjoying having a nice lawn at the moment!! Sad isn't it, it's not a match made in heaven with your two, but you can't blame Rex for what he's been through, he's had to be independent to survive I suppose, but never say never Kirsty
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Don't know if you saw my post before but have both dogs, Rex especially, had thorough vet checks to rule out health issues? If Rex is in pain then that could explain his "grumpiness"
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a fairly harmonious group of dogs so it's very rare I have to step in. The worst thing that happens here is if Jessie gets a bee in her bonnet and snaps at Jed for no reason other than he's breathing. If I catch her in the act (or even if I see her eyeing him up) then i'll physically go over to Jessie (just so the other dogs know they arent in trouble) and say something like "what do you think you are doing??!!" in my best teachers type voice so she knows i'm displeased. She hates to think she's done something wrong so that type of thing works a treat with her. I did once catch her fully attacking Jed in the back of the car. She was so engrossed in what she was doing that she didnt hear me leap out of my drivers seat and hurl the rear hatch open. She was on Jed's back as he was cowering down trying to avoid her teeth so in that instance I took her collar and plucked her non too pleasantly off him and out of the car and told her what I thought of her. Since then her behaviour has gotten better.

I've taught the dogs from day one that one of my big rules is that each dog has their own space when eating and that shouldnt be invaded by the other dogs. The collies have manners and dont go near anybody else yet Flynn cant quite resist circling and eyeing the other dogs wares up. He never moves in completely but it's obvious to us all that if that dog turns it's back, Flynn will be in like a shot! I do go over and make him move away but Jed will also growl a warning if he gets too close and I allow that.

Sometimes Flynn will guard me or his bed or if there is food about he'll curl his lip at the other dogs. He gets a very distinct look in his eye which tells me he's not happy and I never allow things like that. If that happens I move him away and he consequently becomes bottom of the pecking order since I may invite one of the other dogs over or give them the things Flynn is guarding, just to show I control those things, not him.

If they are having a grumble over invasion of personal space or if one dog has overstepped the mark somewhere (like playing too rough) then I let them get on with it but I dont allow guarding and I dont allow bullying.

However, I have submissive dogs both to each other and to myself and I know what is likely to disgruntle them so I try and avoid those situations or nip it in the bud when I see the behaviour forming. I dont leave anything out neither that could cause friction. All toys are put away out of the dogs way, bowls are removed as soon as they've eaten and anything edible which gets left (such as bones etc) is removed asap.

I suppose you just have to read your dogs and come up with a management plan that suits you.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 06:15 PM
aw, yeh not ideal I suppose, Loui would love a little girly to play and lie with.....I'm not so sure he would stay harmonius with a male tho... Maybe we could borrow Zena?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry I've not read all of the thread, but if this is a new behaviour in adult dogs, and there is no obvious explanation, it warrrants a vet check, as sometimes a medical cause can be at the heart of this kind of problem .

Wys
x
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >