View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
There`s a dog trainer in London who likes to train the dog `alone`. Was it an amichien guy?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think that's strange wanting to take the dog out alone without you? When we saw a beahviourist (re Cherry and fear reactivity to other dogs) he wanted to go out WITH me and, I presume, then he watched how I reacted to Cherry's behaviour as well as it is about the owner's as well as the dog's behaviour!

I agree with you!

He wanted to walk my dog for ten minutes or so alone - the rest of the session was with me there of course.

But I didn't understand why he needed to be alone with my dog - and I didn't allow it, and never would.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Funnily enough in a consultation I had with a fantastic behaviourist years ago, she didn't want or need to interact with my dog at all. She could get all the information she needed by questioning me & observing the dog itself & how the dog interacted with me. Even when it came to demonstrating things, she was happy to direct me how to do it at a distance, & when my dog was safely back in the car, she fetched one of her own dogs to use to demonstrate what I should be doing & looking for in my dog.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I came across this the other day, and although I did toy with putting it into the other recent thread about CM programmes, I didn't want it to get lost, as I think it's quite important for everyone to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRAQXOAMz0

"This is a scene from the 100th episode special of the Dog Whisperer. This is Todd Henderson, a crew member explaining how he 'sets the dog off', so they can get the bad behaviour on film"

"In this clip, they take a known aggressive dog and deliberately provoke an attack. Cesar just laughs about it, completely unaware the he has just reinforced the behaviour he is supposed to be eliminating"

This is so bad. So very bad. For a number of reasons.

It does confirm that the programme is entertainment, not about helping dogs or owners (as we already know, right?) and also that dogs are "wound up" beforehand so as to give the most exciting TV ... YUK YUK YUK ....

Disgusting.

Wys
x
Absolutely disgusting. I ahve no sound right now on my PC which IMO makes it easier to concentrate on the dogs in question. Wasn't that a lab x called Curly? If its the dog I think it is, he was taken from a guy in New York who after having CM at his apartment, decided to give up the dog anyway. He gave him to CM who then handed him over to one of his crew.
Never heard what happened after that but clearly now he's being used as a stooge to provoke other dogs.

Shouldn't these people be banned from owning or working with dogs? Aren't there laws in the UK and US to rpevent this sort of cruelty?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I posted this link to my FB profile and got mostly responses inline with whats been said here, except one chick, who owns like 7 dogs and is a professed dog lover/trainer, who said I'm just nitpicking and looking for things to dislike about him because I don't like him. "He's only trying to make it intersting for TV after all"

I was floored! How can people really think its OK to provoke a dog and cause it stress for the sake of interesting TV and still call themselves dog lovers!

It boggles the mind...
It does boggle the mind!

She is entitled to her opinion, but I think she is blinded a bit still by the whole tv thing...

Wys
x
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
No one, absolutely NO ONE, will get my dogs off by themselves... EVER! I dont even let trainers use my dogs as demo's. Most especially my fear-reactive dog. but even little Mouse, who absolutely adores everyone, and has no issues, would ever get taken out without me. I have 0 trust in people... as far as my dogs are concerned.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-02-2011, 01:57 PM
The alone thing can give you a better idea of weather its the dog problem or owners problem.

E;g if you take the dog off the owner and it starts walking to heel/ignoring other dogs and following you commands you probably have an owner problem!

Of course even if you do all the dogs training yoursleve you still have to teach the dog to work for the owner as well.
That said when I have done this you can progress very much faster because the dog is learning from you and you are likely to be better than the owner.

Then when you team them up you just have to teach the owner maintenance skills instead of training skills, which is very much easier.

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
The alone thing can give you a better idea of weather its the dog problem or owners problem.

E;g if you take the dog off the owner and it starts walking to heel/ignoring other dogs and following you commands you probably have an owner problem!

Of course even if you do all the dogs training yoursleve you still have to teach the dog to work for the owner as well.
That said when I have done this you can progress very much faster because the dog is learning from you and you are likely to be better than the owner.

Then when you team them up you just have to teach the owner maintenance skills instead of training skills, which is very much easier.

Adam
...and yet again we show some ignorance ....99.9% of dogs will behave differently (and usually better) for a 'new' person....there is no history there...the dog is learning about the new person and therefore not showing 'true' behaviour.

This is why when people take on rescues they are told about the 'honeymoon' period.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Ignorance = bliss.

Any dog going into a new situation will be cautious. This may well take the form of walking carefully.

And this man says he trains dogs for money?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post

Adam
you are serious right? the dog may well behave for you (as many a rescue dog behaves for the honeymoon period. Kerrie was an Angel for about a month)

Worries me that you claim to be a "trainer", and I assume people pay for your services???
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >