View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:41 PM

So how long do you think it would take??

Question - or a rant

Tonight at agility the trainer made a comment that really upset and anoyed me

TBH I am actually thinking about leaving the class for a few months as I dont think they are doing any good for either of my dogs

As most people know Mia is reactive to other onlead dogs
I worked her in a training class and seen she was able to focus and work once she knew the dogs in the class

So with the trainer knowing all the problems I took her to agility

All was pretty well in the class, she was friends with all the dogs and getting along great

Then a couple of weeks ago there were two new dogs in the class - both barky and reactive (2 of the other dogs in the class are very barky in class too so it is a big it of a din - v stressful in class)
The new dogs were barking and lunging back at Mia so obviously I didnt want to let Mia off the lead but the trainer and owners said to do it
So I did, Mia charged over at the dogs and barked at them, no contact (she shouts from a distance) then she was able to settle down and do the rest of the class oflead no issues
Tonight there was another new dog in class, barking at Mia
as instructed - although I wasnt happy with it - I let Mia off the lead
again she ran towards the other dog
I was getting her back, saying sorry to the owner and saying that Mia wouldnt attack her
The trainer then gave me a lecture about how that kind of thing is scary for other dogs and owners and another dog might go for her
She said how she understood because she had had a dog like that - but it was taking a really long time to fix Mia

That has really upset me because yes sure many people might have helped Mia quicker, but on good days she is doing really well
But I was following the advice of the trainer - against my judgment - no way would I have said Mia was ready to be offlead around a strange dog who was barking and lunging at her

I think I am really going to have to leave the class, the energy in the class is horrible with so many reactive dogs together (yes the other owners dogs dont run at other dogs, but they are still out of control on the lead) and if I have no idea what dogs are going to be in the class from week to week then I really think this is just going to make Mia worse

- and the money I will save I will be able to go to a heelwork to music or fun obedience class - onlead!

Sorry for the rant, I am just so disheartened tonight. Made to feel like an irrisponable owner
Oliver21508
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2010, 06:28 AM
That's horrible that you have to go through that. I agree with you that you shouldn't let her off lead if you don't feel ready. I had problems at agility too a while back, Ollie's recall was poor but they still made me let him off. It was getting too tense and so I left.

It's completely up to you whether you leave or not, but the trainers don't seem very nice and they don't seem to be that helpful either.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 06:34 AM
your only fault is that you listened to what the told you, you should have never have let her off in a situation like that.

This is YOUR dog, it dosent matter to the trainer if she has a set back, but it sure matters to you.

Dont feel bullied by trainers.

TBH i dont think agility is the place for very reactive dogs, theres always alot of hypey dogs barking etc
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Poor Mia - all she seems to be learning is that she should run up and bark at other noisy dogs! This is one of the major problems (for owners of reactive dogs) with 'roll on/roll off' classes where new people join after a few weeks. Why not try and find a club that run courses - once she is used to the dogs you know there will be no new ones coming in, and Mia will be happier.

I groan when I hear trainers over ruling an owners opinion. Sometimes, they are right and the owner needs to have a little bit more confidence in their dog, but it is not for them (the trainer) to insist. It is your dog - not theirs - who is learning/honing unwanted behaviour, and leaving you feeling like poo at the end of it!

There is no time scale for a reactive dog not to be reactive. What a ridiculous thing for her to say - I have Staffies and (as old as they are) if another, unknown, Staffie comes into their face they will react. That is not because I am a bad owner, or they are bad dogs - it is because that is how they are!

Find a nice, quiet (mostly), positive training, plenty of space club for you and Mia to attend - it will help her get her confidence back, and perhaps realise that she is able to cope with other dogs around - that might be another agility club, or something else that is fun.

Also, try and make sure that you are not adding to her stress when she is getting worked up about other dogs. Work on 'attention/look' exercises and make it really worth her while to ignore other dogs if she possibly can.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Agree with all the above but it is hard sometimes to stand your ground.

Agility isn't good for reactive dogs until they have learnt to love it so much that they will concentrate on the course and nothing else. Could have been worse---it could have been flyball (G)!

At least you have been pushed into a decision, you should enjoy training whatever it is and if you aren't then the dog won't either.

Go and find a fun class for her.

rune
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I also agree with what's been said. It's such a shame that you've had this really unhelpful experience when you've obviously been working so hard with Mia & making progress.

With reactive dogs I always try to find training & rehabilitation exercises that reinforce & reward fairly calm & static behaviours. There are physiological reasons for this too because the more dogs "practice" calm, quiet behaviours with not too much muscle movement, the more the neural pathways associated with those behaviours are reinforced & sensitised, so the more readily they are turned on. This is called "long term potentiation" & is part of the physiology of learning. The upshot is that dogs (& people) are more likely to have a "default" setting of calm, quiet behaviour rather than bouncing, pinging, barking, lunging etc.

I can always remember a very wise & knowledgeable friend saying to me that she never trains any behaviour unless she has trained the "off" switch too. It's all too easy to wind up a hyperactive dog, but it's not so easy getting it to settle down & be quiet! So sometimes agility in a room full of excitable dogs isn't a good idea. Perhaps something physically quieter but mentally demanding may suit Mia? What about scent tracking or problem-solving exercises? But heel work to music may be good as well as I suspect that the owners are more likely to have calmer & more attentive dogs than some of the agility lovers!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
training must be fun, even for dogs with issues, when its not fun, its not working,

I think the trainer has let you down, she has taken to many dogs on that have a gobby problem and now finds that she cant cope, so it sounds like shes singled your dog out to be the worst one.....

get a better trainer hun,
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
It takes as long as it takes. Sounds like the trainer was stressed and over-reacted. Not the way to talk to people. Rise above it or leave.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi,

Sorry to hear what you've put up with but don't get disheartened. You're not an irresponsible or bad owner at all. You were following advice from a trainer who really should have known better.

You know Mia better than anyone. Don't let anyone push you into doing something with your dogs. I know it's easier said than done when it's s "professional" telling you what to do but I think you need to stand your ground.

personally think you should leave. It's a shame you're so far away. I'd suggest coming to our agility class. We do have reactive dogs there. They're allowed to sort out their differences (obviosuly in a controlled way wiht the owners consent - nobody tells someone else what to do with their dog) and then we all have a good giggle going round the course.

I agree with you too - you can use the saved money to do something else with Mia.

Good luck.

Laura xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I have been going to a dog training class on and off for 4 years now. I recently went back for an 8 week course after a years off because I felt Jed was missing out on his time with me (Flynn was doing gundog, Jessie was doing agility). I tell you something, I wont be going back again in a hurry. It used to be a bit of a circus but this latest batch of newcomers have dogs that are virtually uncontrollable and they have no idea how to get anything out of their dogs. Bear in mind these are dogs that have passed their puppy and intermediate courses and are techinically now in the "advanced" group.

There is one man there with a lovely beardie but it's a bit of a handful. His idea of making it do a down is to swipe all 4 feet out from under it so it flips over onto it's back with a thud and then pinning it there. Why the trainers are allowing this to happen is beyond me, they should be interjecting and showing him a better way. They also allow reactive and aggressive dogs off lead who immediately have a pop at the other dogs. There was one woman who used a Pet Corrector without making sure it was ok with everybody else (which to me is manners). Jed is scared of those things and fortunately didnt hear it but if she'd used it again I was going to say something.

I know how you feel going to classes that arent doing your dog any favours and the classes arent run that well. I was always being told to raise my voice to my dog even when giving the first command. Why do I have to do that? My dog isnt deaf and yes, if it ignores me then I raise my voice but surely on the first command, I dont have to shout at it??

I wouldnt take it to heart, you know your dog better than anybody else. Try and find another class where they perhaps understand the problems you face a bit better. Finding a good training class is a bit like trying to find a good husband...you have to trawl through the crap ones to find a good one.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »