Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacky_Russ
New Member!
Male 

27-02-2010, 12:34 AM

Jack Russell nose bleed during the night, left nostril only

Over last night my Jack Russells nose had been bleeding, which took me a while to spot. I woke up to see her blanket had some blood on it, nothing major a small faint patch, and a slightly more red smear in another part of the blanket.

I'm not too sure on the colour of it as the blanket may have changed the colour, but it wasn't really dark. I worked out it was her nose from the small blood on the fur around her nose and a small dried clot on the outside of the nose.

It is only her left nostril, and I wiped away the dried blood first thing, I saw no cut's so I'm assuming it's bleeding from the inside.

She's been fine all day today, no bleeding or problems, yet just before she went to bed tonight there was a small very light red wet bit in the same area, I'm unsure if it's just minor discharge or if it'l bleed again, I'm waiting over night to see.

However I've come to seek advice on what else could have caused it, given it was only wiped on the inside of the blanket in which she sleeps, I'm assuming she can't have gotten up in the night and hit it, as there would be blood elsewhere.
Unless she hit it while covered with the blanket, but I'm not sure.

Any help you can give would be fantastic, as I am really worried for her well being.

As I said she's a small Jack Russell Terrier, we got her from a rescue shelter when she was at least three or four human years old.
That was at least 11-12 HUMAN years ago, so she is really quite an old little girl, but she's still got energy, will eat happily and scrounge for scraps, so she's certainly not over the hill, just a little unsure on her feet at times and slightly blind. I just hope this isn't something serious that would take her from me.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 07:57 AM
I think if I was you I would pop her along to the vets this morning to be checked, especially given her age.
You don't want things to get worse over the weekend and for the sake of a consultation fee it could save you a lot of money if things deteriorate over the weekend.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Hope you find its nothing to worry about.
Jacky_Russ
New Member!
Male 

27-02-2010, 08:11 AM
is there any chance it was just something minor, I just checked her this morning, it seems fine, no dried blood I can see, so I'm wondering if she's okay.

I should really take her to the vet it's just so expensive and would really upset my dog as shes scared of the vet.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:45 AM
It would only be around the £20 mark for a consultation and as it could be the sign of something more serious I think your dog should be worth that to you.
Sorry if that sounds harsh its not mean't that way but if you find that a lot of money to spend on your dogs health then if something bad happens over the weekend you could find to stop her suffering it could cost you a lot lot more.
If money is tight (and I do understand that as its extremely tight for me too) then please go today and then next week find yourself a vet that treats through the PDSA and register.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Given her age I would be concerned about a nasal polyp or tumor that is starting to bleed. Definitely cause for concern and definitely worth the vet visit.
Jacky_Russ
New Member!
Male 

27-02-2010, 10:14 AM
if it was something like a nasal tumour or something serious, is there anything a vet could do to help remedy it?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jacky_Russ View Post
if it was something like a nasal tumour or something serious, is there anything a vet could do to help remedy it?
Yes your vet could at the very least make your dog more comfortable and hopefully treat it.
I was hoping you would have rung the vet and had an appointment by now or at least rung for thier advice.
We can't make it better for your dog and it is your responsibility as an owner to make sure she gets proper vet treatment.
Please do not leave her. At her age she needs you there to get her help as and when she needs it.