View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:32 AM

How can I get them to stay away from the fence?

Bit of background. The dog next door drives me mad! She arrived 2 years ago, in her first summer she destroyed the fence between us and spent most of her time in our garden. My dog Molly hates her with a passion so had to be called in and kept in as the neighbours were really slow to do anything about it. Last summer they put a new fence in and at the moment she is unable to get through but as soon as she hears my dogs in the garden she barks and claws at the fence to try and get to them. This sets mine off and all hell breaks loose through the fence. The neighbour thinks we should take them to the park to get to know each other but I think it will just end up in a fight (in fact I'm sure it will). When all hell breaks loose they do nothing and it is up to me to call my girls in which I think is unfair. Their dog is very out of control but they don't see that, they are the type of people who drive with her sitting on their laps

So my question is how can I train my girls to ignore her? Molly will leave it when told to and can be recalled easily when they are mid fence arguing. But if I don't stand in the garden they will react to her. Any ideas how I can get them to stop reacting to her howling and scrabbling at the fence or am I on mission impossible???

Thanks Ali
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I would give some thought to taking up your neighbour on their offer of a meeting in the park. It could be that their dog will be totally different when out in the park so it might even work.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
The terrier next door kept barking at mine and broke holes in the fence, which I left. When it shoved it`s head through and saw the size of them it stopped.
It still barks at me though.
I don`t think you can do anything to train your neighbour`s dog, and restricting yours may be the only option if you don`t want to introduce them.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I would give some thought to taking up your neighbour on their offer of a meeting in the park. It could be that their dog will be totally different when out in the park so it might even work.
I think their dog and Dizzy would be fine as they have met before but Molly bears grudges and is not the most relaxed at meeting new dogs. It is very much on her terms. I am worried about that as their dog has no basic training at all, she does nothing and has no recall etc. When they have seen each other out the front of the house they both display aggression to each other. I am worried that I would be setting them both up for failure and perhaps even fuel the problem if you see what I mean.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I feel your pain !

OUr neighbours at the back have a male unneutured staffie and no fence, so the only thing dividing the dogs is our fence.

I posted a thread in the summer as Bruno and the maledog had been having a go through the fence and luckily as I was standing there telling them both to shut up, Bruno managed to break the fence and get through to the other dog. Because I was standing there I grabbed him by the back legsand yanked him back through. However it was really scary and thankfully no injuries. HOwever had I not been there it would probably have ended in the death of one of the dogs.

I spoke to the neighbours after this incident and due to them renting and not owning their property, I put reinforcements on our side, by placing a thick piece of plywood over the fence sheets so that they cant see each other and there are no gaps to stick their muzzles etc through.

I then covered that with willow screening so it doesnt look too bad. We have had no problems since, although I will be intrigued what happens this summer when they are in the garden more often at the same time.

I would seriously consider making it so that they cannot see each other at all through the fence and so that there is no threat of either of them getting through by force.

If your neighbour is reluctant to do anything then its a difficult one, and the only thing you can do is reward your pair from coming away from fence when called. But it will be almost impossible to stop them going up to the fence if the other dog is barking etc first.

Have you spoken to the neighbour about the problem other than just letting them meet.

Funnily enough my neighbour suggested the same thing with our boys, but there was just no way, I explained how he was onlead and that there was no way we could let them meet especially with the aggression they have displayed through the fence, and she seemed to accept that and has been much better about trying to keep an eye on when we are in the garden before letting her dog out, which is good.

good luck
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 01:45 PM
It's a horrible situation to be in isn't it. I don't want to fall out with the neighbours but they are on course for a disaster with the dog. The fence is 6ft high and they can't see each other only hear barking and scrabbling. It is just normal stuff and will not hold them forever as their dog is so determined.

We have spoken about it on a number of occasions due to their dog killing my rabbit last year and other problems. I have invited them to join me at training classes to try and help her obedience but they don't think she needs it.

Everyday when they set off for a walk, they just come out of the front door with her then spend 15 mins running up and down the road trying to get her to go in the car. They even leave her in the park when she won't come back and return to collect her later. She has bitten my OH and gone for my son. They are expecting a baby in the summer and I can only see things getting worse!

I will have a look into reinforcing the fence from this side I think and just hope she doesn't tunnel under like she did last year!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
out of interest, what breed is the neighbours dog?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 03:39 PM
She's a staffy also called Molly!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
What a complete pain for you. I would be tempted to spray the neighbour's dog with water when it is going mad at the fence, if you can?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
It's a horrible situation to be in isn't it. I don't want to fall out with the neighbours but they are on course for a disaster with the dog. The fence is 6ft high and they can't see each other only hear barking and scrabbling. It is just normal stuff and will not hold them forever as their dog is so determined.

We have spoken about it on a number of occasions due to their dog killing my rabbit last year and other problems. I have invited them to join me at training classes to try and help her obedience but they don't think she needs it.

Everyday when they set off for a walk, they just come out of the front door with her then spend 15 mins running up and down the road trying to get her to go in the car. They even leave her in the park when she won't come back and return to collect her later. She has bitten my OH and gone for my son. They are expecting a baby in the summer and I can only see things getting worse!

I will have a look into reinforcing the fence from this side I think and just hope she doesn't tunnel under like she did last year!!
Oh dear sounds like the type of staffy owner none of us want

I think I would be tempted to call the dog warden or even neighbourhood community police officer for your area and enquire as to whether they would be interested in having a chat with them about responsible dog ownership.

When the dog bit your hubby what did they do ???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >