Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Turkey thigh

Just brought a few massive ostrich thighs (turkey really)
Going to cook them, scrape off the meat an add it to his kibble as a treat for bentley.
Just wondered how long you would cook it for, I was thinking hourish? and if anyone else ever cooked them for there dogs?

If the weather was'nt so bad, I may of just slung it out the back and let him just munch away raw. But its peeing down, so gona cook it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd say an hour probably sounds about right, maybe a little longer if they're very large. You could slash through the meat with a knife before you cook it to help the heat get through to the centre of the leg
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd agree with about an hour. Just treat it like your roasting a chicken. Tilly has one as a treat now and again and she loves them. So cheap and you get loads of meat from it!
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I'd say an hour probably sounds about right, maybe a little longer if they're very large. You could slash through the meat with a knife before you cook it to help the heat get through to the centre of the leg
Thanks alot, thats a good idea goin to give them a good slashing now.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I get these sometimes and cook them on low in the slow-cooker all day. The meat is really tender and just falls off the bone then. However, the last one I bought didn't quite fit in as was too big!
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
I'd agree with about an hour. Just treat it like your roasting a chicken. Tilly has one as a treat now and again and she loves them. So cheap and you get loads of meat from it!
I thought I'd just give it a them a try, something different to kidney, heart, chicken or mince.
No doubt he'll love them and there dirty cheap to, makes a change bentley not costing be alot of money!!!
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I get these sometimes and cook them on low in the slow-cooker all day. The meat is really tender and just falls off the bone then. However, the last one I bought didn't quite fit in as was too big!
Cooked them, and they when down like a storm.
Next time though I will slow cook them like you said, will save me trying to hack them to bits, nearly lost a finger!