Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2015, 06:50 AM

Orange curd and other preserves.....

Well in all the "excitement" ( I know, pathetic!) of the price war I forgot in each shop to buy lemons for a bit of lemon curd.... I have a very old preserves recipe book and they have a recipe for orange curd.. will see if I am up to that today..I have oranges....any other jam or chutney recipes out there?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-08-2015, 09:28 AM
I'll ask Karen to reply as she's a chutney whizz........
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2015, 01:49 PM
That was interesting! I had forgotten what a longwinded job curd is and had to stop as I was exhausted so I jarred it etc, Tasted it and it is an incredible taste! Will add less sugar next time but sorted that with a squirt of lemon juice into each jar. Today after googling, microwaved each jar as I was not happy with the set and it is perfect.. five jars ready to go and betting they will all think it is LEMON curd! Will be lovely on plain yoghurt.... yumm!!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Never tried orange cud must look out for it I've made lemon curd in the dim and distant past and have heard of banana curd but never tried that one
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2015, 12:49 AM
I adore lemon curd. I'll have to look for recipes, never thought of making it myself. We have it here imported and expensive. I'm sure home made would taste better too.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2015, 05:47 AM
I love home made lemon curd its tangy and sharp not like that awful sweet sugary gloop from the shops...

This year I made strawberry curd for the first time too. Its sweet but really yummy.I used my neighbour as a tester and got an empty jar 3 days later she said her grandson ate one slice of bread with it and then screamed for more..
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
I love home made lemon curd its tangy and sharp not like that awful sweet sugary gloop from the shops...

This year I made strawberry curd for the first time too. Its sweet but really yummy.I used my neighbour as a tester and got an empty jar 3 days later she said her grandson ate one slice of bread with it and then screamed for more..
Used to make an onion and sweet pepper relish for the stall, and a youngster bought a jar and came back half an hour later.. he had eaten the lot with a spoon. Not made that for a while.. I cannot take vinegar so no idea what it was like..You can offset excessive sweetness with lemon juice..
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Used to make an onion and sweet pepper relish for the stall, and a youngster bought a jar and came back half an hour later.. he had eaten the lot with a spoon. Not made that for a while.. I cannot take vinegar so no idea what it was like..You can offset excessive sweetness with lemon juice..
Yes there is lemon juice in the strawberry curd but you have to be careful it doesnt get too runny...

To be honest I dont mind strawberry preserves being sweet, but lemon should be tangy..

My rhubarb and vanilla went down well with everyone too ..
I only started making jam and chutney last year but Im really enjoying it and so are all my family and neighours!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
Yes there is lemon juice in the strawberry curd but you have to be careful it doesnt get too runny...

To be honest I dont mind strawberry preserves being sweet, but lemon should be tangy..

My rhubarb and vanilla went down well with everyone too ..
I only started making jam and chutney last year but Im really enjoying it and so are all my family and neighours!
I did a strawberry with honey and vanilla... all the orange curd sold..our jams are gourmet preserves .. great fun playing with flavours and textures. Ireland has wonderful rhubarb especially in a cold wet year like this.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2015, 06:03 AM
Sounds good Rosebud..

Our apples are almost ready and Im going to be making a jam from winter fruits which is dark and sticky and a fruity winter chutney with them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >