View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Interesting ideas.. Lynn I refuse to use the electric oven as it costs so much in power. Apart from roast potatoes at Christmas... have a gas hob and that is fine as it is bottled gas and I can pay as I use and one bottle lasts months. Anyways. I parboiled after finding it as ******* to cut up as a turnip, then took some chunks out and deep fried them. Not sure! Definitely sweeter and a different taste altogether from ordinary potatoes.. Let the other bits cook through and will mash them tomorrow.. Stars of the meal were the home grown broad beans. Will not buy sweet potatoes again !
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Love broad beans Sorry you weren't taken with the sweet potatoes though
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Cava14una....it is probably me Lol i am not a very good cook
Rosebud, my dad wasn't keen either, i put it in a curry....trying to make him eat more veg and it is like having a child, you have to trick him lol he wasn't keen at all, fine by me i ate the whole pan of veg curry lol i blame the steroids making me eat (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Love broad beans Sorry you weren't taken with the sweet potatoes though
Sokay! If they hadnt been 29 cents for nearly 2 lbs I would not have bothered! I will mash the rest today as it is already cooked and see if that is better.. I am very limited food wise because of illness so it was interesting!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2015, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
Cava14una....it is probably me Lol i am not a very good cook
Rosebud, my dad wasn't keen either, i put it in a curry....trying to make him eat more veg and it is like having a child, you have to trick him lol he wasn't keen at all, fine by me i ate the whole pan of veg curry lol i blame the steroids making me eat (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
Ah well I do not eat curry or anything like that! Just simple food for me. Maybe the mash will work better! Just read the leaflet from the new ALDI we have opening this Thursday and they are still on the 29 cent offer... all 6 of the super 6 are things I cannot eat so I felt cheated is all! When it stops throwing it down sideways out there will pick more beans and kale probably IF it ever stops!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2015, 05:52 AM
PS I did not altogether miss out at ALDI as I got another of the Tiramisu cakes AND a huge chocolate gateau for E1.76 each with long sell by dates.. Safe in the cupboard!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2015, 08:02 AM
I love sweet potatoes. To me they seem much bigger than normal ones though so I tend to chop them in at least half and just chuck it in the microwave. Depending on my mood it could be multiple unhealthy toppings or just a side salad. I have been known to just eat the potato and nothing else.
Most of my pets like them too, my dog used to have them cooked and mashed in his kong, or just have bits of mine. My rodents like a bit cooked while it's still warm but will eat it once it's cooled too. And my snail eats them raw, skin and all, one of his favourite things.
My OH won't even try them though...
I will have to try putting some in a veg curry, sounds great.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Totally agree SarahJade. My dogs like them and the ratties had stand up hair pulling big lassie slaps over them

Have a wonderful photo of rats and a pumpkin but not suitable for here!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I love sweet potatoes. To me they seem much bigger than normal ones though so I tend to chop them in at least half and just chuck it in the microwave. Depending on my mood it could be multiple unhealthy toppings or just a side salad. I have been known to just eat the potato and nothing else.
Most of my pets like them too, my dog used to have them cooked and mashed in his kong, or just have bits of mine. My rodents like a bit cooked while it's still warm but will eat it once it's cooled too. And my snail eats them raw, skin and all, one of his favourite things.
My OH won't even try them though...
I will have to try putting some in a veg curry, sounds great.
I often just have a baked potato.. ah well if the dog will enjoy them if i am there again this week! collie loved spuds but wee dog is more choosy.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I'm going to show my ignorance now ..... are they sweet?
They are disgusting, actually. They're only semi sweet, some more than others and they are VERY mushy when baked "properly". They are full of beta carotene and they turn you yellow if eaten in large amounts. They smell strange when cooking, too.

There's a place here that serves sweet potato fries covered with sugar and sea salt... IDK why I even tried them, but who ever came up with that idea should be banished from humanity.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >