Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2014, 08:27 AM

Washing chicken before cooking it.

Do you?
My DiL a QA supervisor for a pre packed food supplier is always telling me this but I still do it, as I do with all meat/food.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...en-advises-fsa
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2014, 08:32 AM
No I don't wash chicken and I don't eat it anyway .
If I am cooking it for others I handle it with extreme care .

I don't wash meat either, you can not caramelise the surface of 'wet' meat.
Mince is another thing I never buy and treat with suspicion , I finely dice my own meat if mince is called for.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2014, 08:32 AM
No I never had, never understood why you would,
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2014, 08:46 AM
No don't wash it and neither does my friend since she got Campylobacter (sp?) (Twice!!)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2014, 08:50 AM
I buy fresh chicken from the poulterers at the shuk, and when I think of the handling it gets when being cut up - or even when whole and being drawn - and the same hands handling money...

...yes, I do wash chicken. Unless it is Pereg's chicken backs in which case I pack each one separately and freeze them, and she has them from the freezer. But if I am going to make soup for myself from any of them, I do wash them first.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Why would you wash it

Cooking it is going to get rid of any nasties .
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2014, 09:00 AM
I tend to wash everything that has been handled in stores - all fruit and vegetables and anything that might have been picked over by previous customers. Just habit I suppose.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2014, 09:07 AM
No I don't wash chicken before cooking, what would washing in cold water achieve or washing in hot water for that matter, it still wouldn't be as hot as the oven.

Tesco's chickens which I like as they are not full of water never have giblets in them, which mystifies me. What do they do with them?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2014, 11:10 AM
It actually makes no real sense to me to wash meats before cooking them. Cooking properly will rid you of bacteria and market meats don't have any contaminants on the outside anyway. All the antibiotics and horrid stuff for you is actually IN the meat.

Trouble, we asked a local meat market about this stuff and he told me that they used them to make ground chicken and whatnot. I was like Whaaaaa?? But you know it makes sense TBH... ground chicken looks so weird that you can tell it's not just pure meat.

As for the whatnot... could be sold to dog food companies, mixed into chicken patties... who knows? I always give the giblets, liver, heart, neck to the dog anyway... but was just wondering.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
No I don't wash chicken before cooking, what would washing in cold water achieve or washing in hot water for that matter, it still wouldn't be as hot as the oven.
I have not bought a whole chicken or even chicken parts for years - I do not have a proper oven so do not roast anything.

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Tesco's chickens which I like as they are not full of water never have giblets in them, which mystifies me. What do they do with them?
Chicken [and turkey] giblets are sold separately here. Gizzards, livers, hearts and necks. I buy turkey ones for Pereg - and myself - she has hers raw and for me I cook them in a slow cooker as a casserole or stew. Livers for myself I slice and flash fry.

Turkey necks [which they cut in half for me] and chicken backs are, as I say, packed individually by me and frozen for Pereg. If I want for myself they are also done in a slow cooker.

But when I used to roast whole chickens I did wash them. Habit mostly and also for Kashering when they had to be soaked then salted.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >