View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't think that it can be denied that certain breeds are more suitable than others for first time owners. But as for 'high energy', it depends. There are different kinds of 'high energy'. Some dogs are very high energy out of the house (and require a good deal of exercise and stimulation to stay say) but are perfectly content to chill and relax in the house. I think a lot of the usually recommended first time dogs (Labs, Golden's, Spaniels, etc.) fall into this category when they get beyond the initial mad puppy stage. So provided the would-be first time owners make the commitment to exercise and stimulate the dog enough, these breeds tend to make pretty good pets.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm a bit surprised that from your own experiences, you can't see why we are saying it. You had some severe problems with Woody which were almostly totally due to your inexperience and 'getting it wrong'.

In your deepest dispair there was talk of him being pts, rehomed, the lot.

Now fair play to you, you've worked at it and seem to have turned things round. But how many 'average families' will be willing to put in the work and to get the help you got from experienced dog people?

So, what advice would I give for a potential first time owner (with not even any previous 'family dog' experience)? Get some experience. Volunteer at rescue centres; if you are interested in a specific breed, get involved with the breed club. Spend as much time as possible with your 'chosen' breed before getting one of your own.

Alternatively I'd recommend that the complete novice considers an older rescue dog. Evidently not one with issues, but there are many wonderful dogs in rescue only there because of change of family circumstances (e.g. owner death), not because of behavioural issues. Personally I think this is a good introduction into dog ownership without being thrown in at the deep end with a pup and you get a much better indication of what you are getting. It also means that if dog ownership if not really for you, you've maybe only committed yourself to 5-10 years rather than the 10-15 or so you would expect when getting a pup.
You're right, I have first hand experience of it but I guess it's difficult for me to see why he wasn't the right breed for us because we've managed to make it work so well.

I guess I can see however, how some people could have given up at that stage. It's hard for me to commit, so I guess I'm 50/50 on it.

Re: the bold, just wanted to confirm there was never any talk (not on my part anyway) about re-homing, that was never an option and the pts was given to me as abit of a threat about where things would go if they continued to get worse. Just wanted to clarify that.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but sometimes high energy breeds aren't suitable for people who've owned dogs all their lives!

My friend has a springer spaniel that is IMO totally unsuitable for her. She's an older lady, with severe back problems and now she looks after her baby grandson a few days a week.

The dog is crated several hours a day while she goes out (to look after her horses, do the shopping etc) and is shut out the whole time the baby is there. He's only walked for about 2 hours a day and she goes to the same places all the time.

I wish she would rehome him because sometimes she is very unhappy and I don't think the dog is in the right environment.

I personally wouldn't have a springer. Not because I don't like them, but because I know I'm not physically fit enough to exercise one enough.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi Mish, probably going a tad ot here but I need to ask please, what is this "driven" thing you keep going on about please, I just don't know what you mean that's all, coz is it not the same thing as the working instinct in a dog? If it's different, then I need to know exactly what it is Sorry, I have to ask coz it's been bugging me for a long while and you can guess why!
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Think she may be talking about 'prey drive'

Prey Drive is ONE type of drive, But other types have Drive, Think Workaholic, one track minded. Run over Broken glass to get what they want.

Prey drive is a hunting drive, mainly of Northern Breeds & Hounds,

Drive can be created if a dog dosent have much, but if youve got a dog with a natural drive it needs "working" not suppressing.

Think of a GSD/Malinios doing manwork, not letting go no matter what.

Think of a powerful BC herding 200 sheep everyday & still wanting & needing to do it the next day

Think of a ESS beating ,in poring rain, sides been torn by brambles but not caring.

Think of the sibes having to run

Drive is a natural inbred trait for the dog to want/need to work, that through selective breeding we have enhanced for are own needs.

a Highly Driven GSD in a inappriate home will probaley start guarding, a collie herding cars or kids, a ESS chasing shadows the sibes escaping.

Choosing a lower drive dog even in these high energy breeds would be the way to go!!!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Prey Drive is ONE type of drive, But other types have Drive, Think Workaholic, one track minded. Run over Broken glass to get what they want.

Drive can be created if a dog dosent have much, but if youve got a dog with a natural drive it needs "working" not suppressing.

Think of a powerful BC herding 200 sheep everyday & still wanting & needing to do it the next day

Think of a ESS beating ,in poring rain, sides been torn by brambles but not caring.

Drive is a natural inbred trait for the dog to want/need to work, that through selective breeding we have enhanced for are own needs.

a Highly Driven GSD in a inappriate home will probaley start guarding, a collie herding cars or kids, a ESS chasing shadows the sibes escaping.

Choosing a lower drive dog even in these high energy breeds would be the way to go!!!!
good post!
my collie and my first sibe are very good examples of these lower drive dogs,im not saying they were easy but having had both driven and not so driven i could see how things could easily of gone horribly wrong if they had not been slightly 'lower drive' they put me in good stead for what was to come.lol.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
My lab is 'driven'!! I have to give him something to do all the time. He is lots of fun but only for someone who is committed. I often wonder what happened to his siblings, if they are the same, I hope they got good homes.

I am always trying to make up new things for him to do. He hardly rests. We go out early in the morning, he has about half an hour rest then he's up again and we do 'sniffer' work, find the toy game, (he has to bring me the toy I ask for which I have hidden) - any game ideas I would really appreciate! We go to gun dog training on a Sunday morning. He is really fast at learning a set command so we work on things like that as well. He learnt to roll over in next to no time! He stands in front of me, ears forward, eyes all bright, as if to say come on what's next!

I am not happy when people say what a great dog I think I will get one - he wouldn't be every one's cup of tea, bless him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for answering me there Mish, and thanks for putting it so very clearly, coz now I understand exactly what you mean!!! I'm not regretting anything though YET!!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post

good post, i was just thinking how to explain about the drive but you have worded it perfectly!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
just to add there is a big difference between high drive and non high drive dogs, this particularly evident in gsds(or mainly so to me as they are my breed) for instance sadie is high drive, she is on the go constantly her desire to do the work that she has been trained to do far outweighs her own concern for her safety, an example being last year she ripped her foot open at the beginning of an agility course, most dogs wouldve stopped but she didnt (i didnt realise she had done anything) she completed the course in winning time and only at the end when calmed down did she begin to yelp and i saw the blood but she had definately done it at the start as there was blood on the obstacles.
yoda was just average drive, he would want to please but did not have the natural high drive/work ethic that sadie does, that sadi he was very good and from obedience lines just not as 'manic' as sadie is.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Well I'm guilty of not researching even though I got my dog from rescue (my first ever dog remember!) I just wanted a puppy because I'd always been a bit scared of dogs & thought that if I had it from puppy it would be easier on me. We did have the intiial food guarding issues & although I made the situation worse before it got better I managed to end the problem after a few months. So I'm very happy with my colliexlab as my fist dog - she is high energy & I'm happy with that too as it's what I needed on reflection! & I enjoy every minute with her.
The thing that makes me laugh now is that some of you may remember I wanted 2 puppies at first & you lot advised me against it untilshe is older! I'm soooo glad I took that advice now I don't want another one now!!
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >