Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
Hello *waves*

Im all about whats best for the dog ... I would love another dog , possibly a flat coated retriever or red setter , but I know im not capable , yet , of giving the care , training and attention three dogs would need , so I have to wait *sulks*

Im sure you did all the research etc before getting your dog hun , and if you are both happy & healthy then its all good
Four dogs...you would have four dogs...because once you have one Flat Coat it is NEVER enough,people kept telling me but did I listen?!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I think you should have the dog you want as long as it's appropriate to your lifestyle. No point having a lap dog and being someone who wants to walk/run etc. and vice versa. I know people who have had dogs for years and are clueless about training etc. just because it's your first dog doesn't mean you wont instinctively be a good owner. Easy dogs don't necessarily teach you much, my first dog was an absolute swine and it was a steep learning curve for a teenager but we learnt together. Everyone has to start somewhere.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Four dogs...you would have four dogs...because once you have one Flat Coat it is NEVER enough,people kept telling me but did I listen?!!!
Hmm , I have told my OH that my plan is to have 4 dogs eventually ... two BC's & two FCR's , sounds good to me , lol
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Hmm , I have told my OH that my plan is to have 4 dogs eventually ... two BC's & two FCR's , sounds good to me , lol
perfect.
My BC loved our FCR pup...absolutely loved him, they lay around licking each others faces.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 04:48 PM
My instinct would be to say that a RR is not for a first time owner.

I always had family dogs growing up ranging from Chis to labs to BMD etc. The first dog I owned was a Patterdale Terrier and to be honest after him I thought most breeds would be easy.
Before getting Beau, we did a lot of research and even then wondered if we could manage one. A big, strong, fast, independant, intelligent, confident dog could be a nightmare to get wrong.
He has been like no other dog I have ever had and he has been a challenge (and still is) but we are getting there.
Could I have coped if he was my first.......probably but I would have been constantly questioning my own ability instead of questioning my methods. I knew I had trained dogs before so I just had to find the best way to train Beau.
My short answer is yes it can work but go in with your eyes open.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't think first time owners should be excluded from having a particular breed but I think it's their duty to research the characteristics of every breed they're considering and take everything into account before making their decision.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
My instinct would be to say that a RR is not for a first time owner.

I always had family dogs growing up ranging from Chis to labs to BMD etc. The first dog I owned was a Patterdale Terrier and to be honest after him I thought most breeds would be easy.
Before getting Beau, we did a lot of research and even then wondered if we could manage one. A big, strong, fast, independant, intelligent, confident dog could be a nightmare to get wrong.
He has been like no other dog I have ever had and he has been a challenge (and still is) but we are getting there.
Could I have coped if he was my first.......probably but I would have been constantly questioning my own ability instead of questioning my methods. I knew I had trained dogs before so I just had to find the best way to train Beau.
My short answer is yes it can work but go in with your eyes open.
Excellent post...and the highlighted bit sums it ups so well for me.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
What a difficult one - but my tuppence worth would be everything depends on the person and the amount of stickability, wish to learn and desire to do right by the dog they have.

That's because I was a first time owner of a jack russell - we got her to save her further abuse at the age of 18 months old - and I knew nothing - absolutely nothing -about dogs, full stop.
Nothing would stop me from saving that girl - and after I had - then I researched jack russells to the hilt.

I was absolutely committed to making her life the best life possible and we did so much with her. That girl was our world. She went to training classes, she went to agility and I even taught her sign language. She was the best dog in the world . She suited us and we made sure we suited her.

So, show me the person. If they are committed to making it work, they will.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 05:10 PM

I know quite a few hard core Collie peeps that have a odd flattie or two around! they must blend in well!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I know quite a few hard core Collie peeps that have a odd flattie or two around! they must blend in well!
I think they do you know,my OH has always had a collie in his life, until recently (the FCR invasion!) I also adore collies. They are similar in a lot of ways.
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »