View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Not sure I understand the query I would say not playing with your dog and its toys is 'the soft option for the lazy owners'.

My current dog loves to play with me and her toys for hours every day. Even when I am busy in the kitchen cooking/ironing she will bring her small squeaky ball so that I can kick it away up the long hall for her to collect and drop back at my feet

If I am watching the TV that is the prompt for Chloe to fetch a soft toy to play tug and throw .
She will also play with toys on her own carefully selecting one which can involve rooting to the bottom of the toy box discarding those she doesn't want in the process.

Consequently Chloe spends a lot her her day being active and mentally stimulated, the recipe for a fit and happy dog .
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:14 PM
I have not read all the way through and dont have a gundog but still think thats (OP/topic) a lot of rubbish.

Dogs are not that stupid that they dont know the difference between a game you play with them and the job in hand.

I would imagine when a dog works (whatever that 'work' is) that it is all a big game anyway, or it should be IMHO.
Otherwise, why bother?!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I dont want to post too much of what this person has said because I dont want it to appear like i'm making this thread about them but to put it into a little more perspective this is the quote in it's entirity, take your own meaning from it:

""Dogs need toys" is what polite Yanks would call "horse feathers". Dogs that don't gain fulfillment from their environment may benefit from toys as it is preferential that they chew toys rather than each other and deffinitely not themselves. Toys are a soft option for lazy owners."
I think I would take that as; if a dog is enjoying training each day to the point of being satisfied and tired when they go home that day (and finds that training highly rewarding in itself) then they don't need toys (on top of that) to amuse themselves when they go home?
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I go on that forum to.

Just went and found your thread.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Not sure if its allowed to post members comments from one forum on to another etc?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 05:23 PM
the woman i used to work for with the flatcoats wouldnt let her dogs have soft toys, or furry toys as she didnt want them shaking them and ripping them apart, as if they then went onto work, she didnt want them ripping up the pheasant, duck, rabbit or whatever. but they are allowed hard toys like their kongs, and they have bones, and balls and things, and they play, and they only ever play with someone, they dont have tuggy toys because she doesnt want the risk of them becoming hard-mouthed and not giving back game, which i think is fair enough.

daph isnt too fussed about toys, she has a play now and again, but if someone took toys away from asbo he would be such an unhappy dog, he loves to play and he often helps himself to the toys, and whinges when they toy bag goes away after dinner while they have to settle for a bit.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Not sure if its allowed to post members comments from one forum on to another etc?
This thread wasnt meant to be about the person on the other forum and whether they are right or wrong in their opinion. I had simply never come across that opinion before and it had never entered my head that a dog should not be given toys.

I was merely curious about how important other people think toys are to a dog i.e absolutely essential as part of training and bonding or are toys merely an extra bonus dogs enjoy but dont actually need? We use them because they are an easy way of entertaining our dogs.

It's a bit difficult to describe the context the statement was made without the whole thread being seen and answers to questions I asked being seen. I dont believe the person I quoted from is a member on here.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Toys are a big thing for me, they are a way for my dog to;

Explore differences, such as texture and weight
Make choices based upon things she knows and has experience with her toys
Learn control (not pulling a toy apart, giving to "drop" etc)

As well as a way for her to blow off steam and direct her prey drive in a harmless way!

Oh yes, and important for learning eye/paw/mouth coordination.

And a superb reward!!!

Since Jin was 4 months, her access to toys became restricted. They are stored in a box with a lid. I will often choose a few out (different ones- a rubber one, a squeaky one etc) or let her clamber in and choose her own. Some things she has perminant access too.....her 11 different flavour, texture and sized nylabones, LOL! And toys like her ball that has a hole in for treats is kept in a cupboard unless being used.

Jin LOVES her toys!

I cant imagine what she would be like being coopes up (on season) without toys to help blow off steam!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 07:10 PM
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 07:18 PM
phoebe is not in to toys, she has a couple that are out at all times and some i get out to play with she shows very little intrest most of the times and will go weeks without touching them atall. a real good play doesnt happen very often
but she seams quite happy. Ive tried a few things to get her to play but unless its a stuffed toy she can kill and rip to shreds shes not intrested.
Ild mbuy her teddys to kill more often but as it last about 4 mins it would cost me a fortune.

I think it would be very sad for a dog to not have toys especially if they enjoyed playing with them, but i dont think toys should be used as any sort of substitute
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >