Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
The thing is too, if my wee Toro was out in the streets running round lost, we've all seen dogs looking frantic because they don't know where they are...she would probably suffer the same treatment that the 2 dogs in the programme did because of her breed, they didn't have a clue, non mentioned the dogs were fearful, nervous, showing normal behaviour in a provoked situation which the police instigated...
How did you all think that Mallinois looked in the back of the police van ? scared nervous, frightened, she certainly didn't look at all at ease, wonder how she'd be treated out in the streets showing that behaviour ?
You thought the same as me hun, I sat here thinking ''her Mallinois doesn't look very happy, infact I thought nervous, plus I was thinking ''any minute now it's going to honk up'' and she said ''Oh she's a very laid back dog, I almost have to wake her when I wantt her to get out, ........that didn't look a laid back dog, it looked more like.......please don;t drive so fast I don't feel well
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I shouted Callum through from the kitchen to see it, I couldn't believe it...then hanging on to the scruff of the neck at that hut, wot the heck was that about ? ok it didn't have a collar on , why not ? surely they should be wearing some sort of collar, chain ect ?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
i didnt see the programme but i am 100% against the ban. the idiots who mistreat them and train them to fight etc. should be the ones being punished, a lot more severely that what they currently are. its ridiculous. no breed should be generalised to that extent. many pit bulls are used (in america) as therapy dogs, assistance dogs, search and rescue dog, sniffer dogs etc, surely if they were vicious by nature they wouldnt be suitable for this. also, watching animal cops on animal planet, shows the sweet nature of them. so many have been abused and used for fighting yet when they are rescued they are so gentle and sweet. besides, pits have been bred to not have human agression... i definately think it is the wrong end of the lead that is being targeted.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I saw it. I felt so sad for those dogs, but if they hadn't been PTS their fate would have been worse than death I think.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
ok it didn't have a collar on , why not ? surely they should be wearing some sort of collar, chain ect ?
Not if it's working. It could get caught on something while it's searching the gardens etc.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Not if it's working. It could get caught on something while it's searching the gardens etc.
Didn't think of that, but there is collars that open if they're caught...
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Ah, I've never heard of those collars. I guess she just had a slip chain on the dog so it could be let off quickly in case it needed to chase someone.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But there in lies the problem.

A pitbull type could be a boxer cross, some collie/lab crosses have that look about them....who decides....

At the moment it is up to the indvidual in charge of the situation (policeman/woman usually) to decide.....if you get one who happens to not like dogs then woe betide you.
but this is all down to crossbreeding again? if people didnt own lookalike dogs then wheres the problem? but thats a whole other issue there i think......

the person deciding must have knowledge - like in the programme - the police woman was the only one qualified..... that says something... i purposely would not own a dog which looked like a banned breed as id be terrified my dog being taken off me

and yes i could put mysefl in an owners shoes and see how hurtful it woul dbe to take your precious (in some cases ) animal away.... but why have a potential issue with the police anyhow????

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
What I didn't understand if if it is illegal to own these dogs, why were the dogs just seized and pts rather than the owners being arrested as well as I am sure they'll just go straight out and get another?

Where is the deterrant to actually owning these dogs, not just using them to fight with, or as a weapon? The general public, educated and numpties, find it hard to see that owning one is illegal when they are seen and the owners just don't even get cautioned!

They did both look like pitbulls to me, and although one was young and had no signs of having fought (scars etc) and the other was clearly terrified they, under the law, could not be safely rehomed and may have made it back into the wrong hands so can't see an alternative to being pts, sad though that was for the dogs.

As usual the dogs are always the losers
i agree..... imo the owner should have been arrested.... if that was at his house - surely then he would hav been??? (seen that before?)

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
the reason they are PTS is because the dogs are illegal. People should not have them full stop.
i agree.......

like i said they are banned for a reaon - but the numpties dont help their case either tbh
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
but this is all down to crossbreeding again? if people didnt own lookalike dogs then wheres the problem? but thats a whole other issue there i think......

the person deciding must have knowledge - like in the programme - the police woman was the only one qualified..... that says something... i purposely would not own a dog which looked like a banned breed as id be terrified my dog being taken off me

and yes i could put mysefl in an owners shoes and see how hurtful it woul dbe to take your precious (in some cases ) animal away.... but why have a potential issue with the police anyhow????

i agree..... imo the owner should have been arrested.... if that was at his house - surely then he would hav been??? (seen that before?)

i agree.......

like i said they are banned for a reaon - but the numpties dont help their case either tbh
Nor would I own one. I am sure that (sadly) many of the dogs siezed under the DDA are not Pit Bulls at all, but crosses. Logic says that that if you cross certain breeds (say, an American Bulldog with a non-typey Staffy) you can end up with resulting dogs that look very much like Pit Bulls. It is buyer discretion if someone chooses to keep such a cross as a pet as far as I am concerned. Buy a breed that looks very Pit like and you take that risk.

Although in some cases it may sadly result in a much loved pet being taken away, the majority of the time these dogs are owned by idiots. Case scenario like the moron on last nights program who attempted to release the dog and make a run for it.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
whether you agree or nor pitbulls(and their types), should be banned is not for you to decide - laws the law - like i said whether we agree or not....
We live in a democracy. It is for all of us to decide what our laws should be.

We have BSL because too many people don't understand what a useless, cruel law it is or, if they do understand, they are not sufficiently moved to actually tell their MPs.

The number of people hospitalised for dog attacks has increased by almost 50% in the past decade,
I don't trust that figure. In fact that whole article looks highly suspect.

according to a new report, commissioned by pet insurer LV=.
I don't trust that source (who encourage owners to break the law regarding collar and disc requirements so as to give themselves a commercial edge).

... the average hospital stay after a dog attack is two to three days.
In some fantasy land, maybe

According to US data, Pit Bulls are the most likely dog to bite humans however these are banned in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act so very few exist. The second most aggressive dog that is likely to attack a human is the Rottweiler, a common breed in the UK that is not mentioned on the Dangerous Dogs Act.
Lol. I smell the Clifton Report. This article is getting worse and worse.

13% of Brits said there had been an increase in the number of ‘aggressive looking' dogs in their area

You wonder why they are bothering with this tripe but then, suddenly,...

Emma Holyer, Spokesperson for LV= General Insurance, said: "This research shows that it's more important than ever to ensure you have pet insurance..."
...it all becomes clear.

Edit to add: Incidentally, when I was canvassing pet insurers about their position regarding Speak Out For Animals' microchipping campaign, LV were the only insurer who wouldn't support it.
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »