Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-01-2005, 09:13 PM

Eating Poo!!!

I have 2 staffies, one of them keeps eating poo!!.... any poo! her own, my other male staffies or even horse muck when being walked??? what the hells wrong with her?

its disgusting, i let both the dogs out last thing at night and if you dont watch to catch her, she will have a poo, then turn round and eat it straight away!!!

then she will follow Rocky my other dog untill hes done one, then eat his!!

i feed her plenty, its not because shes hungry. and she has always done it since we got her, she is nearly 6 months old

how can i stop her doing this, ive tried shouting at her when she does it, and she will stop... then sneak back when your not looking
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi Red Devil

You can get tablets from the vet which make the poo unpalatable to the dog.

Or what I did was put pineapple in her food for a few weeks that put her off! lol
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I dont know about eating their own poo but Abby eats horse poo, duck and almost any other type of poo she can get pretty disgusting but most dogs I know do it.
Im sure someone who knows better will be along soon.
Mary
CBT
Dogsey Senior

17-01-2005, 09:25 PM
eating poo can sometimes be caused by a combination of factors.
It can be a deficiency in the dogs diet,
it can also be caused by too rich a diet, and when the unprocessed nutrients come out the other end the dog doesnt want to waste them so to speak
I wouldnt worry one bit about eating sheep/cow/horse poo or rolling in it, most dogs like doing this, mine are impossible to stop from eating sheep, rabbit, horse, cow poo, I gave up trying to stop them years ago, they just do it when Im not looking lol lol

there is stuf you can buy called deter, or some people say to put pinapple in their food and this puts them off.

I had an old collie who always had a brown poo shaped ring in his kennel every morning but never any poo - where did it go I hear you ask? go figure!! lol lol
my staffie tara recently had pups and i have had her on a high protein bitch diet and she has taken to eating her poo after she has done it, so I have had to stop opening the door and just letting her out into the garden like I did before, i now have to get the wellies on and go out and stand til shes done it then bring her back indoors immediately, not so convenient especially since its bl**dy freezing most of the time and snowing as I type!!!!

once I put her back onto her normal diet when her pups are weaned she will probably stop doing it so Im not too worried, the main thing at the moment is to avoid her like the plague and not allow her to give "kisses" after shes been outside :smt078

I wouldnt worry too much, with the old collie I worried it was a sign there was something wrong etc but eventually I came to the conclusion that some dogs are just dirty b*****s and if he wanted to eat it that was fine by me, saved me having to shovel it up :smt003
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 09:25 PM
I walk my dogs through a horses field to get to our walk everyday, my older staff not only eats horses poo, she will roll in it as well if I don't watch her, trouble is she is teaching her 6month old sister her dirty habits!!!!
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 09:28 PM
All my dogs eat poo....not thier own, but others ,cats,rabbit..if it's there they 'll try it Also if one is sick I have to run to get to it or they'll try to eat that :smt078
CBT
Dogsey Senior

17-01-2005, 09:29 PM
sorry that probably wasnt too helpful, must have been posting at same time as everyone else, those links will be worth checking out :smt023 but I just thought Id share with you all, my OH says my dogs are the smelliest horriblest dogs hes ever met, but then his dog is a nutjob who tries to chase cars if he gets the chance and also has an unatural fondness for other male dogs, so i guess its a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 09:35 PM
How old is the poo eater? Libs does it occasionally too (yuk)
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 09:40 PM
and Indie does hers or Jazz's or even the cats she's not fussy (EEEEWWWW)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >