Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Johnderonden: I was merely giving an opinion when i used my dogs as an example. If i had even the slightest doubt on their temperament i would not have them with a 2yr old child.
And a good example it was, too. I'm pretty confident that every keeper of the dogs involved in recent child deaths (with the exception of Caydee-Lee) also felt confident in their dogs. The confidence turned out to be misplaced but was that poor dog skills in the owners and, if so, to what extent? We will never know because the evidence was destroyed before it was examined.

I also dont believe you would see the dogs true temperament in those situations
Whilst we cannot replicate the exact same situation we can create senarios that mimic some aspects of the event. Is it enough to make reliable determinations? We don't know because the evidence was destroyed before it was examined.

Dogs seized are regularly assessed and those who do so have a good idea of, and factor into their considerations, the effects of removing the dog from its usual circumstances. Behavioural assesments are not an exact science but it would be wrong to imply that they are without worth.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I said "
Originally Posted by gsdmad
Oh come off it. The dog KILLED a 4 yo child!!!
ANY dog that kills a person should be PTS

Your response was...
Originally Posted by Wire Haired View Post
I said:

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep

You seriously think that all dogs that kill should be put to sleep? Even if they've killed a rabbit. Even if they killed another dog. Even if they killed a child by pulling them on lead under a car? Even if they killed an adult because they tripped over the dog and banged their head? You think ALL dogs should be put to sleep no matter what or how they kill?
How did i not read your post? you compared a dog killing another animal to them killing a human!!

Hows frey?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I see no other option, what would you have them do with it... the dog has killed a child, regardless of its breeding/upbringing, responsible owners or not, the dog has to be PTS...
Context

It is the rush to destroy the dog without examination that I have objected to. I have accepted the dog's fate is sealed in the very post that you have partially quoted.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wire Haired View Post
It's the lassie fantasy. Dogs are the only animals that are always killed.

Yes other animals are sometimes but not always. Every time a dog walker is trampled to death do you think farmers destroy their herds?

Cats kill other animals, including other pets, very regularly but they're excused as it being nature. Just read dog forums when someone's dog is attacked by another dog, most people think it should be destroyed.

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep, I am fed up with "dogs are evil" when if the attack had been by the family cat it would be excused. People expect dogs to be perfect, not to retaliate when in pain and to accept any amount of abuse from their kids.
The family cat wouldn't have killed the boy!
What pets do cats kill?
You have a weird way of looking at things!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Context

It is the rush to destroy the dog without examination that I have objected to. I have accepted the dog's fate is sealed in the very post that you have partially quoted.
Quoted?? did not quote anything!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
The family cat wouldn't have killed the boy! What pets do cats kill?
You have a weird way of looking at things!
It might do in one of wire haired stories, she has a knack for a good epic
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Context

What would an examination/assessment of the dog do though? all it would reveal that the dog had an unstable temperament and was an unfortunate product of it's poor genetics/environment. For as long as idiots choose to keep 'dangerous' dogs, breed from dogs will no regard to temperament and not give a hoot about socializing or a proper up bringing, these tragic incidences will continue to happen. You can test, analyze and examine these situations until you are blue in the face but the outcome will always be the same.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Quoted?? did not quote anything!!

Post #55

That is you, isn't it?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Like...

My cat, when in a violent rage, scratched my husbands arm which then got infected, then was cured, then got re-infected, his arm then dropped off and consequently he died. The end.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I wish I knew who the rest of you think she is I'm curious now, but I don't think shes a newbie, or a Jimmy as they are called on another site I'm on!
Page 9 of 53 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »