Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2009, 11:34 PM

Going Euro

Has anyone any idea about taking your dog from Scotland to France and back, pet passport etc...how does the rabies thing work over here I know to bring a dog in you have to wait the 6months after rabies test but dont know from this side..?

Also I am asking as I am considering taking my bitch over to a boy is this feasable? do the shots affect pregnancy??
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2009, 07:34 AM
if you wish to leave the UK and enter Europe and dont need to being your dog back into the UK within 6 months, you can leave quickly.
you have the rabies injection, and 1 month later you have the blood test. once you have the results, a few days later, if you have the rabies all clear, you can leave with your passport.

from Europe, if you intend to bring your pet back into the UK within 6 months of leaving, you cant leave the Uk until 6 months after the blood test.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by alady?? View Post
Has anyone any idea about taking your dog from Scotland to France and back, pet passport etc...how does the rabies thing work over here I know to bring a dog in you have to wait the 6months after rabies test but dont know from this side..?

Also I am asking as I am considering taking my bitch over to a boy is this feasable? do the shots affect pregnancy??
Its cheaper and less hassle if they ship sperm over.
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys....Im not so sure about Ai but will look more into it..
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
You need to plan ahead, AI is somewhat restricted here in the UK for KC registered dogs

You do have to fulfil all the regulations laid down by the KC & TBH I'm not the greatest fan of AI

A friend of mine is taking one of her bitches(her only breeding bitch)over to France next year & a member on here has taken a bitch to Finland(I think it was Finland)& was successful.

Many GSD breeders take their bitches to Germany as well & also have good results

Basically your dog/bitch has to be chipped, then vax for rabies, blood tested around a month or so later & then have a high enough titre level for the Passport regulations & then 6 months after the test the passport is validated for return to the UK. Before return to the UK the dog/bitch has to have a tick/tapeworm treatment
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jodee, I am not that keen on AI, used it for the horses a lot but havent ever for the dogs... I think I will go back to the original plan which was to import a pup, I am just concerned it will be 10 months old by the time she gets here, Thanks for your help everyone I will give all my options a great deal of thought now..
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks Jodee, I am not that keen on AI, used it for the horses a lot but havent ever for the dogs... I think I will go back to the original plan which was to import a pup, I am just concerned it will be 10 months old by the time she gets here, Thanks for your help everyone I will give all my options a great deal of thought now..
At ten months old you will miss the critical development stages of your pup! Depends on the breed a little.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I plan to do the same & the breeder will have my puppy until he can come here. Her dogs are all superbly reared & socialized & I will have the benefit of her doing his basis training
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
At ten months old you will miss the critical development stages of your pup! Depends on the breed a little.
It depends a lot on who has the puppy as well