Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Bambi is dying..

My little Nethie boy is getting on and starting to slow down a lot.

In the past few months we have had issues with him not grooming himself properly resulting in us having to do it for him.. The vets couldn't find anything wrong with his teeth so it wasn't a teething issue, they just said to keep an eye on him and to go back if he was any worse. I contacted his previous owners to see exactly how old he was and it turns out he is nearly 9 years old instead of the 4 we thought he was.

I thought the other week I had gotten his grooming issue sorted, I moved him into a new hutch with a run underneath and he seemed to come back to life and his coat looked better.

Today on clean out day, he was wobbling, his coat was back to the horrible condition it was (OH and sister had been feeding them so I hadn't seen him) and he just looked old and frail. He's lost a bit of weight that he had gained too..

I've rang the vets and they said it could be the cold. We'll be giving him a few more days, just to see if it is the cold thats bothering him - we've added more bedding to his hutch and a cardboard box to keep him a bit warmer. Christmas day he will be going to my Mum's so he can live indoors (OH is allergic to them and we haven't anywhere to put him in our home) and if that doesn't perk him up then he'll be going to the vets and it looks like he'll soon be joining his lover - Mindy on the bridge..

Just what everyone needs at this time of year
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Bless Bambi, fingers crossed for a bit of perking up once hes indoors xxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 02:56 PM
So sorry, hon xxx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Sad to hear this, hopefully Bambi will perk up at once indoors. xx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I didn't realise he was that old, he'll be having daily runs inside the house - well until he can go to my Mum's just so he's warmer than being in the outside run..

Hopefully he'll be fine and it's just the cold..
Thanks everyone
x x x
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I didn't realise he was that old, he'll be having daily runs inside the house - well until he can go to my Mum's just so he's warmer than being in the outside run..

Hopefully he'll be fine and it's just the cold..
Thanks everyone
x x x
Sorry he's not very well, it seems this cold weather does take its toll on the oldies
I wouldn't bring him inside though, not unless you can keep him inside until the weather warms up because it'll be a big shock to his system to be n a nice heated house to then go back into the cold, it would be much better for him to stay in his own home and have extra bedding, I know it sounds cruel but it's true.

Hope he perks up soon Hun xx
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2011, 11:05 PM
i lost my netherland at 9 years 11 months in 1999 so i hope bambi perks up soon.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Bambi will not be going to my Mum's, she says she can't have him indoors like they did with Socks because where they had Socks they had a downstairs loo and Socks was blocking it and my Dad struggled with the stairs (he's disabled) so looks like extra straw..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I hope he perks up Aimee xx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm an idiot!

I fed the rabbits yesterday tea time and I'm sure I locked the hutches properly and because I was so busy getting ready for work I didn't double check! We haven't been out in the garden today due to going to my parents for Christmas and OH's just been out to feed them and Bambi's hutch was wide open and he's not there!

We can't find him anywhere, the dogs can't find him either, they aren't even picking up a a scent!

And whats worse is Bambi stops when approached by anything so a fox could've have him easily. I sure I locked the hutch!

I'm such an idiot! Why didn't I double check, why didn't I go out to them this morning!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >