Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2011, 07:07 PM

A few questions

As I have a Goldie I want to keep her coat looking nice. I have bought some Groomers spray (Coat Conditioning Spray) is there anything else I can use? She is on Purina as that what she was on when I got her.

I have emailed Lynda and will hopefully be going to see one of her classes.

Are there any good beginners guides out there to clicker training online?

As she gets dirty pretty fast I've been bathing her once a week, is this OK. I am using Bob Martins dog shampoo for puppies.

Also as she is food orientated is clicker training perhaps the best way to train her?

Thanks
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm sure you will get loads of help food wise, clicker training wise etc.

I'm afraid you may have a lifetime of grooming on your hands! I personally wouldn't bath a dog, unless it had rolled in poo or dead rat or something nasty. If mine are muddy, I just use warm water and a sponge.

Oh, and clicker training is the best
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by jeeves View Post
As I have a Goldie I want to keep her coat looking nice. I have bought some Groomers spray (Coat Conditioning Spray) is there anything else I can use? She is on Purina as that what she was on when I got her.

I have emailed Lynda and will hopefully be going to see one of her classes.

Are there any good beginners guides out there to clicker training online?

As she gets dirty pretty fast I've been bathing her once a week, is this OK. I am using Bob Martins dog shampoo for puppies.

Also as she is food orientated is clicker training perhaps the best way to train her?

Thanks
Good coats need feeding from within and without.
A dog's coat is constructed from keratin, a form of protein so giving a good quality protein diet (ie of a named source).

Bathing a dog once a week will strip the coat of necessary oils and remove the waterproofing, it is totally unecessary to bathe a dog this often. Dirt will dry, and then brush out.

Supplements such as Fish Body Oils are good sources of Omega 3 which not only feed the coat, but the brain, the heart and eyes, which must be fed alongside Vitamin E (preferably natural not synthetic) as the former depletes the body of the latter.

I think I already posted the links to clicker training in another thread ie Learning about Dogs, Clicker Solutions and Clicket Training? LADs does virtual courses as you will have seen and does very easy DVDs and books you can teach yourself.

A food orientated dog is a joy to train, as nothing is better than, to paraphrase the title of a book by Suzanne Clothier, food that rains from the sky!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
You tube is a great place to learn about clicker training too
you cant go far wrong looking at kikopups channel
Or Slyvia Trkman has loads of vids on there - and also sells some great ones online and even has a virtual puppy and tricks class
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks I can now see the links in the original post. New to this MAC life. Thanks SB, really useful.

She had rolled outside in her own poo so I bather her and as she loved it so much I have been putting her in the bath since. I will try the flannel/sponge method. She is just sooooo white and marks show up easy.

Thanks for the advice xxx
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a Goldie, and they do get very dirty, especially in the winter, they do like to wallow in muddy puddles. we never bath him unless he has rolled in poo. When he is muddy we wait for the mud to dry then brush it off. Goldies like swimming so a trip to a river or sea is good- not ponds they come out stinking. Also I recommend whistle training.
Good luck