Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2021, 07:18 AM

Daily Thread, Tuesday, 29th June 2021

Good morning all, i hope you are all well. Have a good day, take it easy and above all stay safe and well. God Bless.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2021, 08:21 AM
Morning Moyra
Up early again today so I have plenty of time to walk my 2 dogs before doing Molly this afternoon. Seems like Steve has no more of these shifts for the foreseeable future, we aren't happy as it was made out this would be his regular job and he has been so much happier
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Morning Moyra, griff and all to follow.

Oh that's a shame griff.

Well a really bad sleepless night with Dillon usually after one of us getting up and settling on the sofa and stroking him and talking softly to him while he lies beside it settles him. Not last night pacing, panting, huffing and yipping. I have looked up sundowner dogs (dementia in dogs) and he is ticking off some of the boxes the above being one, not realising when the rat is about we notice before he does now. Nor does he take notice of the cats if they're nearby at one time he would shoot off and bark then settle for a while in the garden then come in any time of day or night.
Now he wants to lie in the garden but all he does is yip and e can't have that at all hours through the night.
The Piriton I gave him usually makes him sleepy but not last night. He sleeps during the day but not at night times this is recent when we took him for his yearly check up in May he was a bit restless at nights but usually settled quickly.
Seeing Katherine regards his joints Friday but I am ringing today to see if a vet can advise Melatonin is ok to use alongside his Previcox.
Never had an elderly dog before so this is all new to us.

Keep safe and well everyone.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Awww Lynn, bless him! There are supplements you can get they may help him...there are targeted specifically at older dogs and there is something the vet can give but I can't remember the bloody name of it .. diesel had it.
Yes, we are disappointed about the shifts, I am hoping that they just haven't done the new shifts yet, part of me thinks that they may have just used him for Holiday cover.....he said it is boring and the route is tedious but easy, he said he doesn't have to deal with people screaming and shouting.... doesn't have to issue tickets or anything, if some say hello/ goodbye, he speaks to them, if they don't speak....he doesn't bother either, the most effort he has had to make is talking to the security guards lol....and that's purely out of boredom
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2021, 09:53 AM
Good morning everyone

Do hope they haven't just used him Kelly and the he gets more shifts.

Poor Dillon do hope you find something to help him. I had a dog with dementia was put on something but can't remember the name but she wasn't restless at night just had to whip her out as I fell out of bed or she just wet in the hall and then take her into the bathroom with me or she would scream the place down. No other room was a problem. Hugs to y ou and him

Damp here this morning so bedding changed and in the tumble dryer. Managed to get out and only get a little damp round the edges. Made a couple of phone calls for Ben and await an answer back from one. Carpet fitter arrived on time and took all the measurements quickly. Very nice chap think he owns the company. Just waiting for the builders to get back to him with a new quote and clarification of some parts quoted and then it will be all systems go

Hope all are well. Take care.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Thanks griff and Sue.
Waiting for a call back from a vet to see if I can give him the melatonin a natural supplement would prefer to use this first to see if it helps rather than harder drugs first off.
It's the Pineal gland it doesn't produce the melatonin through the night to make them drowsy and switch them off from day to night. I have read some very good reviews about it.
We just put the odd early morning call down to Spring and Summer birds waking early but after last night and him being restless ost of the night this is the only thing I can pin it down to, I am sure it is not joint pain, there are other things that have been subtle that you tend to put down ageing.
Like going out the gate, stopping crossing the road then standing there looking as if he's thinking why did I do that so back over the road we go. Sometimes he then makes a firm decision and off we go on the odd occasion we have crossed over back again a little way down the road crossed over confusion back again it's the standing there looking confused that's ticking boxes.
His slower r to the cheeky rat and the cats to.
During the day at home all is the same the worst time is through the night.

I really hope they haven't used Steve griff the job sounds ideal for him.
Sue glad the carpet measuring is done good luck with the other quote.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2021, 12:39 PM
Diesel got quite slow and seemed to just stare a lot I put her on these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ceva-Produc.../dp/B01MUBAR5X
After she had her splenectomy...she never seemed right and cried all the while, the vet did prescribe something but I lost her within 3weeks so didn't really notice any difference as such. I did use melatonin with Delaney but that was for anxiety I think
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-06-2021, 01:46 PM
Thanks griff that's now currently unavailable on Amazon.
Melotonin can be sued for a lot of things like anxiety fear of fireworks etc.,
Still waiting for vet to call looks like it will be Piriton to help get him through the night tonight (hopefully).
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2021, 02:56 PM
Good afternoon all.

Cloudy and dismal morning, but fairly bright, if breezy this afternoon.

Aw Lynn, poor Dillon. From all you've described, it could still be joint pain, but if it is dementia, all you can really do if find the best meds that suit and be patient with him (easier said than done).

When will Steve find out more about the permanency or otherwise of his new job, Kelly. I hope for both your peace of mind that they do make it permanent for him
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-06-2021, 05:50 PM
Vet rang a little while ago. Not one we usually see and wanted me to go down the prescription route. I said no I want to try the Melatonin first before prescription drugs to see if it will help, if not then I will discuss again.
She kept on about it not being licensed and I said no I know it's a supplement.
Anyway she agreed to try it and it should be fine alongside the Previcox, I know if it doesn't agree he will come off it.
I will discuss with his usual vet on Friday when we go to have his joints looked at again.
I did feel sorry for her because she insisted it was prescription only and I said no you can buy it from viovet no prescription and other places to. Then she said I'm surprised it was for humans.
I didn't argue that point but I know you can buy it easily without prescription online and Holland and Barratt but you have to be careful with the human version as it can con tain xylotol poisonous to dogs.
So anyway we got there and we will give it a try and see if it makes a difference tonight he has had Piriton.

It is difficult Chris as you get tired but we have to remember time isn't on his side anymore so have to try to be patient and make the most of him. 9 years 8 months on Friday.

Forgot to mention I messaged Lee who owned his brother and he had a very bad front leg so they are sure bone cancer as was the vet and he was just turned 9 and not coping and difficult for amputation on these large breeds at the best of times let alone front leg amputation so they decided to let him go.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >