Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Dog Protecting injured owner

I'm sure all of us have had mishaps at some time or another.
Well tonight I was stepping over the front door step and for some reason my foot caught on the step and I just crashed forward onto my knees. Not to be recommended when you suffer from arthritic knees and know that at some stage [probably in the not too distant future] you will need replacement surgery.

As I lay there stunned Harvey [yep I was still clutching his lead] came and looked anxiously at me. Knowing that I had my nearly 90 year old mother in the car waiting for me, I made a valliant effort to get back onto my feet but the pain shooting through my knees forced me back down.

To my absolute horror through the open door I saw my mother get out of the car parked over the road - she is just a few months after knee replacement surgery. Bless her, she had seen me fall and was coming to try and aid me.
When she got over to the house she wanted to try and help me up - that made me feel even worse.

However neither of us expected what happened next, Harvey got between us and gently leaned against my mum to show her she was not to try and "hurt" me anymore than I was, he was there to help protect and guard me. He then stood over me and nuzzled my face. Bless him

No I couldnt get up, had to ring for assistance in the form of my brother/nephew who thankfully live down the road and even more thankful that they were in their house. It took them seconds to get me up onto my feet. So, I have two knees like footballs tonight. My left arm is sore so must have knocked it too and am eating painkillers like there is no tomorrow

As mum said there was no way Harvey was going to let anyone near to me. Hes my No 1 hero!

If you knew what a day was going to bring, I think most of us would stay in bed...........
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Ouch......I suffer from dicky knees and am in the same position as you with regards to replacements.

Try and take it easy - you are going to be very sore for a few days.....

x0x
x0x
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Bless ya.

I hope your knees are ok!!!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Poor you. Dogs are amazing. My friend has just got back from Goa and was telling me about a dog she befriended. Luckily for this dog, she belonged to one of the bars and was neutered, fed etc. Over the course of the two weeks, she would hunt out my friend and lay with her on the beach, and if she walked back to her apartment alone she would come with her and watch her go up the steps. Once she was in the dog would trot off back to her bar. One night my friend walked back alone and as usual her bodyguard went with her. Then a local man started to follow them. When he reached them the dog stood between my friend and the man and began to growl. The man commented what a protective guard dog she had and walked away! She said the worst part was when they drove away in a cab at the end of their holiday, the dog ran down the street after the car. She cried all the way to the airport.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Ouchie, poor you and well done Harvey
Hope your knees are feeling better today.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Its lovely isn' it my Sal did something similar yesterday too. While I have been recovering from this Op she has been an enthusistic Stafford guarian angel.

Hope you are feeling a bit more mobile soon. Take care.

Although if help had been summonded the first groan of pain from you and I would suspect if you Mom is anything like my elderly Mom the ""helpers" would be in more danger from her than the dog............
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Oooohhh - how horrible for you. I have a dodgy left knee and have fallen on it before now so have some idea of howyou feel.

Well done to Harvey though for looking after you.

Make sure you rest your knees (difficult if you have get out and about). Lots of painkillers, anti-inflammatories and RICE to start with. Are you sure you haven't broken anything? Cracked Kneecap? Torn ligaments? etc If the swelling hasn't subsided along with some of hte pain in a couple of days I'd suggested getting x-rayed.

Hopefully though you're already on the mend. Take care, look after those knees (at least until you have a date for your TKR/TKA) and let everyone else do the running around for a while until you're back to normal.

Laura xx
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Can really sympathise with you on the knee pain. What a great dog Harvey seems, protecting you like that. Hope your knees get better soon.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Good dog Harvey! I hope you are feeling better very soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Ouch, that must have been sooooo painful and probably still is! I have one dodgy knee that goes "out" sometimes and I can't get up from the loo but it soons goes back to normal again when I manipulate it, don't know what's wrong but apart from that they're fine thank goodness, coz that is very painful when it does that!

You talking about your lad there, reminds me of when old Georgie went flying through the french doors and because of the flyscreen curtain he couldn't see my dear old mum (83!) standing in the middle, so he took her with him knocked her off her feet, and sent her flying, whilst he proceeded to make his way to the back gate to see who dared walk past He then realised what he'd done to old mum, so he came over to her lying on the decking, and she told him she couldn't get up (I wasn't around), and she told me that he had sat himself down next to her, pushed himself into her as if to say "climb up on me, I'll help you up" and he just stayed there, whilst she grabbed him and managed to get herself up! Dogs are so very knowing aren't they, I think that's what I love about them at times!

Hope your knees get better and glad your mum made it across that road to help you out at her ripe old age!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >