View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:19 PM

Bella was such a good girl on our walk tonight!!

Bella was such a good girl on her evening walk! I have posted so many threads about her stealing shoes,and running off etc...I thought I should at least tell everyone when she's good!
So,we have been working lots on her recal when there are distractions around (especially other dogs!) And I have finally made a significant realisation....Bella loveschasing balls MORE than playing with other dogs,or sticking her head down rabbit holes....or just about anything!!!
So, my strategy for walks is to take 3 balls. 3 solid rubber ones (her favourite for chasing) and a squeeky one (good for the squeek but she doesnt loveit as much to chase!)
So....to distract her if she sees another dog the squeek works REALLY well,and she turns instantly and runs backto me. Then if I am playing with her balls with her I always make her "down" before I throw.I dont throw balls for thewhole walk. Sometimes I put them back inmypocket. To prevent her running off with the ball I have 2! So if she looks like she isnt going to give me back her ball, I hold the other one upand sheruns and drops the first one at my feetLOL. Sometimes I do a lot of throws,sometimes one or two. Then the balls go back in pocket andwe carry on walking.
So...tonight on our walk first we met another dog , who is always on lead.We've seen him a couple of times. He is a lovely 8ish yr old crossbreed rescue dog whose owner has him lead as he can be dog aggressive. Bella was very well behaved (she was still onlead) and just sat whilst I chatted to him. He asked if he could maybe walk round with us if he met us again as his dog seemed not to be reacting to Bella so it might help him getting used to dogs.He's a lovely chap really trying his best for his rescue boy.
Then I was playing ball with Bella on the grass just off the path, and this other dog (?GSP or similar) bounded up from nowhere! Bella started to run towards her but I squeeked the ball and she ran straight back to me I then held her ball up and made her down and she stayed so still! Anyway, the other dog was leaping all around Bella, clearly wanting to play,so I did let Bella up to play...all the while her owners were nowhere in sight So they played a bit, then the dog started to run off so I called Bella back and she came and held her harness...other dogs owners eventaully ambled round the corner and called her half heartedly .... just hope this dog didnt run up to the poor dog aggressive dog we met earlier thouhg I was so proud of Bella for coming back to me, then lying down, even with another dog bouncing all round her!!
Then towards the end of our walk we were playing some more ball on a large grassy area. Bella was in a down, waiting for me to throw the ball. She was facing the path, I had myback to it (not wise on reflection!)anyway, I saw her ears twitch and eyes dart for a second from the ball to the path. I Looked around to see another dog (on-lead) going past. I told Bella "stay" and she didnt move a muscle, absolutely focussed on her ball!!! I waited till they were past (which took a while as he stopped to wee right by the edge of the path LOL)then threw her ball!
So...it seems that as long as I have balls with me, I can compete against other dogs for Bella's attention LOL(I've already been and bough another 4 balls this week LOL)
She was also really good about not reacting to the bunch of kids that jumped out of the bushes and pretended to shoot us with water pistols...and the idiot kid on the bike that raced up from behind us on a bike in the pavement yelling "move" as he whizzed by
She's been so good tonight
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Well done to you and Bella
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:43 PM
oh that sounds like such a good walk! well done to both of you, sounds like you are really making progress