Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 03:06 AM

My Grandaughters Rabbits

I have posted in a couple of threads here in 'other pets' and mentioned my Grandaughter and her rabbits.
I thought I could tell you a little bit about Libbie and show you her beautiful rabbits

my Grandaughter Libbie now aged 8 has 5 rabbits she adores them
ever since she was 4 she has cleaned, fed and looked after them everyday. she has lost one or two over the years but she's taken it on the chin and she always had the other rabbits to help her take her mind off the ones that have died. she's brilliant with them.

Libbie aged 5

recently ALL 5 became very sick the vet told her and her mum, "in 2 days time you won't have any rabbits at all, they have caught a bug from somewhere maybe a cat/ wild rat or wild rabbit has left some kind of virus in their garden and the rabbits have picked it up. there is nothing I can do except put them out of their misery". Libbie was mortified and told the vet I want to try and help them first if they are any worse tomorrow we will bring them back and you can help them go to sleep peacefully
the vet gave them some antibiotics to take with them but doubted if they would help.
Libbie stayed up a little later than usual and with the help of her Mum gave them the antibiotics, then fed them water through a syringe every hour or so. the next morning She did the same before going to school and after when she got home. she even skipped brownies and horse riding to look after them.

she is a very dedicated little girl
These pictures she took for me 1 week after the vet said they would all die.

and today they are still all very happy and healthy. and so is Libbie
to celebrate they bought a new hutch for them all and Libbie helped with her pocket money too

and she is back horse riding too

I am very proud of her
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Aww bless, do you know what the rabbits had, I'm assuming it wasn't myxi or e.c, but I don't know, that must of been a horrible time for her.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 09:54 AM
What a lovely thread. Your grandaughter is an absolute star and i can see why you and your daughter are so proud of her. Beautiful bunnies. I would also be interested to know what bug they had. My bun had her mixy vaccination but the vet recommened another one as well, he said the same about it being something that can be spread in a garden from other animals. Im so glad all her buns pulled through. Such dedication from one so young is a joy to see!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Aww bless, do you know what the rabbits had, I'm assuming it wasn't myxi or e.c, but I don't know, that must of been a horrible time for her.
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
What a lovely thread. Your grandaughter is an absolute star and i can see why you and your daughter are so proud of her. Beautiful bunnies. I would also be interested to know what bug they had. My bun had her mixy vaccination but the vet recommened another one as well, he said the same about it being something that can be spread in a garden from other animals. Im so glad all her buns pulled through. Such dedication from one so young is a joy to see!
Thank you

i'm not sure what it was all I know is one day they were fine the next day they all had diarrhea very lethargic and their spine's were sticking out of their fur they seem to go downhill at an alarming rate. they all had their vaccs before they became ill. I think my daughter has now changed her Vets
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Wonderful story, so glad they pulled through, she is a child after my own heart
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Wonderful story, so glad they pulled through, she is a child after my own heart
thanks Steph
she must take after her Nan
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 07:16 PM
How lovely, brilliant start to the wee girls life, learning responsibilities e.t.c, i'm sure she will grow into a lovely young lady. No wonder you are proud!

And lovely rabbits, if you do find out what it was they had please let us know, sounds awful!

That is the hutch I had my eye on, the b/f was going to buy it but I said we should do a project and have a go at building one, should be fun, lol!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
How lovely, brilliant start to the wee girls life, learning responsibilities e.t.c, i'm sure she will grow into a lovely young lady. No wonder you are proud!

And lovely rabbits, if you do find out what it was they had please let us know, sounds awful!

That is the hutch I had my eye on, the b/f was going to buy it but I said we should do a project and have a go at building one, should be fun, lol!
thank you
it was horrible to see the rabbits listless and very skinny one of them was only young too and even I thought she would die before the night was over
but miracles come in fives in Libbie's house
she has one big wish at the moment and that's to have a little dog of her own instead of sharing mine but my daughter is due to have a baby next week and she said the time is not right, but maybe when the baby is a few years old it's a possibility, but not a promise.