Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Advice Please - I would like a Rabbit

Hi All

I am looking for some good and honest advice, i was never allowed any pets when i lived at home and since i moved in with OH 7 years ago i am making up for lost time.

I would like a rabbit but not really sure about them and how they are as a pet, i have seen big ones and little ones in pet shops but dont have a clue whats what, do they take alot of looking after.

I already have 2 hamsters, 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, cold fish and tropical fish, would i be taking on too much to get a rabbit as well.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Hi All

I am looking for some good and honest advice, i was never allowed any pets when i lived at home and since i moved in with OH 7 years ago i am making up for lost time.

I would like a rabbit but not really sure about them and how they are as a pet, i have seen big ones and little ones in pet shops but dont have a clue whats what, do they take alot of looking after.

I already have 2 hamsters, 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, cold fish and tropical fish, would i be taking on too much to get a rabbit as well.
Hiya

I have had the pleasure (and not so pleasure at times!! ) of working with/looking after all kinds of breeds of rabbit. In terms of maintenance, they will be the same as your guinea pigs. A through clean out once a week with daily spot cleanings.

I would ALWAYS keep two rabbits together. They like the company of their own kind and are very social. Rabbits which spend too much time bored and alone can develop all kinds of behavioral problems (much like a dog would). A neutered buck and doe are a good combo, or a pair of littermate brothers or sisters.

Rabbits are active...they need to space to run around. They need the biggest size hutch (or cage if indoors) you can afford and have space for. If you have a secure garden and can let them run (supervised of course), great. Make sure they are relatively tame and friendly before you attempt this though, if you want to catch them. Same with running around the house...don't set them free until they are hand tame.

Diet...a good pellet mix (Excel is good), lots of hay, fresh vegetables.

They like being mentally stimulated and playing with toys. You can buy all sorts of interactive rabbit toys and games to keep them happy, again like you would with dog.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hiya

I have had the pleasure (and not so pleasure at times!! ) of working with/looking after all kinds of breeds of rabbit. In terms of maintenance, they will be the same as your guinea pigs. A through clean out once a week with daily spot cleanings.

I would ALWAYS keep two rabbits together. They like the company of their own kind and are very social. Rabbits which spend too much time bored and alone can develop all kinds of behavioral problems (much like a dog would). A neutered buck and doe are a good combo, or a pair of littermate brothers or sisters.

Rabbits are active...they need to space to run around. They need the biggest size hutch (or cage if indoors) you can afford and have space for. If you have a secure garden and can let them run (supervised of course), great. Make sure they are relatively tame and friendly before you attempt this though, if you want to catch them. Same with running around the house...don't set them free until they are hand tame.

Diet...a good pellet mix (Excel is good), lots of hay, fresh vegetables.

They like being mentally stimulated and playing with toys. You can buy all sorts of interactive rabbit toys and games to keep them happy, again like you would with dog.
Thanks for your advice, we have a secure garden but its not grass its little pebbles but we have a car port which is covered and secure where the rabbit could live and its not draughty. I was thinking that now the weather is getting warmer now could be a good time to think about puchasing a rabbit as if its outside we would spend more time outside in the summer so could interact more, we have a hutch outside that was for the guinea pigs but now they are staying inside and get loads of fuss and attention, would that be suitable for a rabbit?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 01:49 PM
In terms of more commonly found breeds...

Dwarf lops tend to be the most popular bunny based on my observations. Beware though; some are overbred for the pet market and have questionable temperaments. Choose carefully.

Dutch rabbits...I'm a fan of this breed of bun. They tend to be active and inquisitive and generally speaking, good tempered.

Rex's (Mini) are my favourite breed. Beautiful coats and generally very laid back. Can be real characters!

Lionheads...again, I've had positive experiences with this breed. Only real downside is the grooming involved.

Netherland Dwarfs...some people say they can be aggressive, but I find the opposite if they from a good breeder. Easily kept because of their small size.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Thanks for your advice, we have a secure garden but its not grass its little pebbles but we have a car port which is covered and secure where the rabbit could live and its not draughty. I was thinking that now the weather is getting warmer now could be a good time to think about purchasing a rabbit as if its outside we would spend more time outside in the summer so could interact more, we have a hutch outside that was for the guinea pigs but now they are staying inside and get loads of fuss and attention, would that be suitable for a rabbit?
Hiya

Yes, now is the time of year to introduce young rabbits outside (although potentially it can still get quite cold at night). As for hutch size, it depends really on how big they are. If the hutch and run were purchased with guinea pigs in mind, it may not be big enough. You'll need to look more closely at breeds you like and think about the sizes they grow to.

I notice you are saying rabbit instead of rabbits. I definitely wouldn't get one on it's own and keep it outdoors as it will be very lonely. Although humans are good company, they are not really substitute for a 'friend' for them. If you intended to keep a single rabbit as a house rabbit (where it will get lots of interaction all year round) I would be more inclined to say that was ok. But a bunny on it's own outdoors...don't do it, please!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I just noticed on another thread you said you'd love one but didn't think you could cope with anymore pets.

If this is the case then don't get any, they are hard work to clean out e.t.c and need handling or they will start to nip and become untame. Think carefully. You could always get rabbits after the pigges are gone as they are a similar type of pet. x
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I just noticed on another thread you said you'd love one but didn't think you could cope with anymore pets.

If this is the case then don't get any, they are hard work to clean out e.t.c and need handling or they will start to nip and become untame. Think carefully. You could always get rabbits after the pigges are gone as they are a similar type of pet. x
Hi

I said i didnt think i could cope but i dont know really i have always taken care of all my pets and loved them all, cleaned and fed every one all the time. My piggies are coming on great now that they are inside and are very sociable and love to snuggle even oliver who was the hardest of them all.

I will think very carefully about my decision to get a rabbit or two, they eat all the same food as the piggies and a bit more and as for the hay etc then i already got that so a couple of etc i dont think would cause too much of a problem.

Ihave a great play pen for the piggies which would also do for the rabbitsl

I will give it some serious thought over the next few weeks. My question was also do people think i am taking on too much, i feel like a child wanting all these pets but im getting a few months of 40 now but just want lots of pets.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I couldn't recomend the English enough, they have 5* temperments and looks (I think ) and they are so easy going and loving, and if you ever want to do rabbit jumping they are good at that too

What I would recommend the most though is make sure that you have as much room as possible for them, and they are best kept in neutered pairs, handled daily, fed a pellet, not a mix, and allowed time to explore and play as much as possible, as rabbits are very inquisitive, oh and as many toys as you can get too, and a cardboard box is greatly appreited too.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I couldn't recomend the English enough, they have 5* temperments and looks (I think ) and they are so easy going and loving, and if you ever want to do rabbit jumping they are good at that too

What I would recommend the most though is make sure that you have as much room as possible for them, and they are best kept in neutered pairs, handled daily, fed a pellet, not a mix, and allowed time to explore and play as much as possible, as rabbits are very inquisitive, oh and as many toys as you can get too, and a cardboard box is greatly appreited too.
My English is an absolute swineface, very cheeky and always up to something he shouldn't be! My lop is a sandwich short of a picnic as was the other lop I had. I also had a dutch who was somewhere in-between and a netherland dwarf, she was quite nervous and skittish.

And definitely in pairs, Luke was NOT happy as a single rabbit, he is so much more happy and relaxed now he has his wee pal.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
My English is an absolute swineface, very cheeky and always up to something he shouldn't be! My lop is a sandwich short of a picnic as was the other lop I had. I also had a dutch who was somewhere in-between and a netherland dwarf, she was quite nervous and skittish.

And definitely in pairs, Luke was NOT happy as a single rabbit, he is so much more happy and relaxed now he has his wee pal.
But don't you love him for it , I grew up with so many English, and first cross English that I lost count, and I've got some of my own now and can't imagine life without the breed, they are like little puppies continually, and are so friendly and people orientated, and if you want to do things with your rabbit they love jumping (I've only just started this, and have been told that males are better then females, but tri's are meant to be great whatever the sex, so Harmony's hopefully going to start it soon )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >