Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I know not everyone can rescue but the reasons some people give are just daft.
You are helping so I dont see a problem, nor do I see a problem with someone getting a dog from a REALLY good breeder
But most people get dogs from pretty rubbish breeders - but they think they are getting them from good breeders
Problem here is that what is a GOOD breeder in some peoples view is a BAD breeder to others.
I have asked people in the GSD world at shows - is that breeder any good - seems to be winning? Answer - no, awful, used a dog with high hip score 3 generations back blah blah....
If I was looking for a pup from a breeder I wouldn't know where to start looking. You can only go by what you think is best, or what advice you trust.
Hence I'll stick to my rescues - then I don't need to worry about potentially paying over the top for a badly bred dog, and unintentionally lining a bad breeder's pocket .
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I know not everyone can rescue but the reasons some people give are just daft.
You are helping so I dont see a problem, nor do I see a problem with someone getting a dog from a REALLY good breeder
But most people get dogs from pretty rubbish breeders - but they think they are getting them from good breeders

I do have to question tho why should a rescue be harder to get a dog from than a good breeder? If I was breeding pups (which of course I wouldnt) I would want the homes my pups went to to be the best it was possible to get for the pups
Why are breeders less careful than rescues?? (and not all rescues - I had no checks at all to get Mia)
hi
its not that they are less carefull(breeders),dogs are living things and its not all black and white,alot of rescues have their rules and will not deviate from them,where as breeders i have dealt with tend to take experience and knowledge and the job i do into consideration,before making the decision
as i say i have a rescue,and a crossbreed tho lol
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
still ot
why is it owners of rescues usually say 'i have a rescue' rather than 'i have a dog'?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2010, 12:42 PM

How can you say that?? there are as many good breeders out there as bad ones, so the odds will be as many get from good breeders as those that get from bad ones.

I do have to question tho why should a rescue be harder to get a dog from than a good breeder? If I was breeding pups (which of course I wouldnt) I would want the homes my pups went to to be the best it was possible to get for the pups
Why are breeders less careful than rescues?? (and not all rescues - I had no checks at all to get Mia)

Again how do you work that out... breeders like rescues are all individual, you will get good and bad in both.

Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
Problem here is that what is a GOOD breeder in some peoples view is a BAD breeder to others.
I have asked people in the GSD world at shows - is that breeder any good - seems to be winning? Answer - no, awful, used a dog with high hip score 3 generations back blah blah....
If I was looking for a pup from a breeder I wouldn't know where to start looking. You can only go by what you think is best, or what advice you trust.
Hence I'll stick to my rescues - then I don't need to worry about potentially paying over the top for a badly bred dog, and unintentionally lining a bad breeder's pocket .
So all rescue dogs come from good breeders do they??

The odds are you will be getting that potentially badly bred dog from a rescue ..were do you think they come from in the first place.

Don't tell me I am wrong or condemning dogs , because I am buying from a breeder , and I wont tell you who to get your dogs from.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

So all rescue dogs come from good breeders do they??

The odds are you will be getting that potentially badly bred dog from a rescue ..were do you think they come from in the first place.

Don't tell me I am wrong or condemning dogs , because I am buying from a breeder , and I wont tell you who to get your dogs from.
Erm...no...I don't think I said that at all.
Where am I saying you are wrong for buying from a breeder? I don't give two hoots where you get your dogs from!

I said this:-
Hence I'll stick to my rescues - then I don't need to worry about potentially paying over the top for a badly bred dog, and unintentionally lining a bad breeder's pocket.
That is about me personally, noone else.
Don't read something into it that isn't there.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
OK right now, I may be getting another rabbit soon, I will talk about rabbits, as being rescues etc, because right now I know more about them then dogs and breeders , when I was looking for a bun when I got Nancy, I knew of a great breeder, who was also breeding the colour that I wanted (which was a bonus) up in Wales, so I waited until it was the right time went to go and get one, Nance, now I wasn't looking, but got sent a few links, one of them was for a English breeder a while away (80 miles each way), but I'm now looking to get a certain bun of her, the breeder is a member of the British Rabbit Council (BRC) and I'm still trying to get to know this breeder, but it seems at this point that I am going to get one of her older baby rabbits, who is a rare colour, she is breeding for colour, as well as health temperment etc, and she is selling spotteds for more then charlies and selfs (£40 for the first, £15 for the latter) this may seem bad, but I understand, like I said its a rare colour, when I was looking previously there was only 4 breeders, I don't know if this has now increased, I'm sure it must of, and as the self and charlies are not show quality I can see why they are cheaper (some people I have been told cull the latter ones) as dogs there is loads of rabbits in rescues, so by going to such a person am I killing a rescue rabbit? Bearing in mind that I doubt that a rescue would look twice at me, I live in a flat, with two sighthound type dogs, so I've gone to what I feel is a good breeder, and does the answer to whether I am doing so reflect on dogs, as there is many rabbit rescues across the UK that I could go to and get a English (most likely not a tri, but a English is a English) or does the whole thing about going to breeders only work with animals like dogs and cats?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
No we don't need more breeds, or dogs actually! There aren't enough homes to go round for the ones already in the world! I personally could never bring myself to buy a dog from a breeder, nevermind a designer dog.

To me, for every dog you buy from a breeder, that's like killing a dog in rescue isn't it?

Sorry, gone off topic
I quite agree-this is why I don't think I could ever have a puppy-we always have rehomed adult dogs. I personally would not feel happy with buying a puppy if I know there are adult dogs needing homes.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
What breeds are anti allergic?

I know several people who are severely asthmatic and allergic,, but have no problems with dalmations, and I've been told that labradoodles are anti-allergic as well..... If you want I can look into the science of the whole thing.... I'm sure there are more....[/QUOTE]

I am surprised that Dalmations would be recommended as they moult quite a lot, I know as it was a breed we considered getting as I am asthmatic and allergic to a lot of things. Labradoodles are not all the same either-sadly a lot of them have ended up in rescue cos they have the Labrador coat not the Poodle. Someone who is asthmatic would be better off getting a pedigree poodle where you know they won't moult.

We got Kerry Blue terriers in the end as they don't moult and have a soft poodle-like coats and fortunately have never caused me any health problems.

Oh - nearly forgot-we got our 2 from Kerry Blue rescue-sadly even though they are a rare breed some still end up having to be rehomed through no fault of their own. Ironically the couple who had my 2 dogs had a newborn baby with a lung problem that needed a 7-hour operation and the consultant said to rehome all pets.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Just as an aside - without breeders carrying out dedicated work some breeds would not have survived at all.

Taking one of my own - we have less than 40 dogs born and registered each year (they are not a puppy farmable breed, nor are they popular as pets). In the last 3 years i think we have had 3 dogs come into breed rescue or been reported as being in a rescue kennels (2 through breed rescue were both over 8 years old and one of them was picked up from a dog warden at the other side of the country to prevent it going to a shelter with a pts policy).

Do we simply allow breeds like this (which go back well over 1000 years to the time of the vikings without changing very much at all) to die out all together because we should all be getting dogs from rescues?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-04-2010, 08:36 PM
i am not against breeds or breeding, quite the opposite as the breeding can produce traits that we can capitalise and therefore out dogs remain pets, not wild animals

what boils my blood is breed snobbery and this thread stinks of it
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 50 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »