to me,a breeder is an owner of a bitch that has pups
what is your definition lozzi
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Confused as what to answer here as it has gone lots off topic

It very much makes my blood boil all the bad breeders out there

In my mind there are very few good breeders, and the ones that there are would have such long waiting lists that it would be pretty impossible for me to get a dog from them, so I have to rescue

In my mind it is impossible to have a responsible breeder of crossbreeds
Or pet dogs
or sport dogs

MOST breeders are not good enough (IMO) they do not have the experience and shouldnt be breeding, so even if you know the pedigree then you still have no guarantee about the tempriment of the pups

If you NEED to know a dog will be OK for what you want - be it good with kids, fits in with your children or whatever then there are some good breed rescues who will have assesed adult rescue dogs so you can have an idea what they will be like

You also get puppies in rescue - Ben was less than 8 weeks old, when I was getting him there were 5 other litters in the rescue and 2 pregnant bitches

The argument that people give that it will take too long for the breed they want to end up in rescue
I have to ask if that is the case and you are in a hurry then how can you possibly be finding a good breeder in that timescale??

If you buy from a less than amazing breeder then you are enabling that breeder to breed another litter of puppies. For every puppy born there is one less space in a home for another dog
So buying a puppy from an OK breeder really is condeming at least 1 dog to die in a rescue
I am sorry if people disagree with that but anyone who breeds has to be aware that there are more dogs than there are homes for dogs so they should only breed if there dogs are really really worth breeding from, if they are total experts on the breed so they can tell if they are worth breeding from and for the owner to be able to come back to them for support

I know it dosent sound it but I have no problem if someone wants to buy a pedigree dog, but I dont think they can bury their heads in the sand and say that they have nothing to do with the dogs in rescue, every dog was a mongral once - and most of the mutts in rescue have quite a few pedigree dogs in their grandparents

and I also hate the snobbary there is out there for pedigrees, it is just as bad to badly breed pedigrees as it is to breed crossbreeds
and I have far too often have people come up and be all over my dogs until they ask the question 'what breed are they' when I say 'crossbreeds' they often walk off, like they were worthy to be petted when they might have been some unknowen breed but if they are 'just' crossbreeds then suddenly they might contaminate their wheezing waddling fluffy
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 12:59 AM
My Shade's Mum is 1/2 GSD 1/2 Newffie.
her dad is full German Shepherd therefore she is 3/4 Shep that looks more like a Newffie
she is my Shepland or Newshep but really she is just my Shady, my mutt, my dog, and I wouldn't have her any other way.
I did a thread here a few weeks back called 'name that dog' it was a pic quiz to name the 2 different breeds of dog in 1 dog.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=120059
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
This annoys me too. to me, it is just people trying to pretend they have a pedigree, which they do not. I don’t know why people cant just say they have a poodle x Labrador, or a cocker spaniel x poodle etc etc. a lot of it is pure snobbery. im not going to make some stupid name for jake's 'breed'.

Also, talking about rescues etc, I just want to say that you can still get puppies in rescue. As can you also get a specific breed rescue, there are specific breed rescues up and down the country that people can go to. if people can wait months and months for a pup, then why cant they wait that time for a suitable rescue dog? I think a lot of it (not all depending on the individual situation and circumstance) is snobbery, and for some people it is downright impatience.

I also do not agree that every dog comes from a ‘breeder’. I certainly do not class jake as coming from a breeder, he came from an irresponsible owner whose dog somehow got pregnant (I don’t know the circumstances surrounding that) and that handed them into the SSPCA. Trying to claim everyone whose dog has a litter, planned or not, is a breeder just makes no sense to me

I have a crossbreed, who is also a rescue and the snobbery of some people towards us just sickens me! it is a topic that really pees me off!

Other than stray dogs that roam the streets and have no owners.... EVERY pup comes from a breeder...Jake came from a breeder, the owner of Jakes dam allowed his dog to get in whelp.. he allowed her to breed, he becomes a breeder...whether he is a one off, or a multiply breeder, he stil bred a litter of pups/

i still dont agree. no one can say the circumstance to which she became pregnant, for all we know she could have gotten out through no fault of the owners and become pregnant and they didnt find out till it was too late... it could have come about a whole number of ways, but we dont know. i think the term breeder is used far too losely with some people.
Is it, so what is your definition of a breeder ??? other than someone allowing their bitch to get in whelp???
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 08:53 AM
This annoys me too. to me, it is just people trying to pretend they have a pedigree, which they do not. I don’t know why people cant just say they have a poodle x Labrador, or a cocker spaniel x poodle etc etc. a lot of it is pure snobbery. im not going to make some stupid name for jake's 'breed'.

Also, talking about rescues etc, I just want to say that you can still get puppies in rescue. As can you also get a specific breed rescue, there are specific breed rescues up and down the country that people can go to. if people can wait months and months for a pup, then why cant they wait that time for a suitable rescue dog? I think a lot of it (not all depending on the individual situation and circumstance) is snobbery, and for some people it is downright impatience.

I also do not agree that every dog comes from a ‘breeder’. I certainly do not class jake as coming from a breeder, he came from an irresponsible owner whose dog somehow got pregnant (I don’t know the circumstances surrounding that) and that handed them into the SSPCA. Trying to claim everyone whose dog has a litter, planned or not, is a breeder just makes no sense to me

I have a crossbreed, who is also a rescue and the snobbery of some people towards us just sickens me! it is a topic that really pees me off!
I've also been thinking about this, to me this person is a breeder, they allowed their dog to have pups, and did nothing about it, but they are also the worse kind of breeder, people say that if you get a dog from a breeder its like killing a rescue dog, some people don't even use the word like, they try to guilt people, but what about these breeders, if the rescue takes in puppies from irresponsible breeders then they may not have room for a older dog in need, so because of these breeders other dogs will probaly have a higher chance of dying, as they can't get the rescue space when they need it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

In my mind there are very few good breeders, and the ones that there are would have such long waiting lists that it would be pretty impossible for me to get a dog from them, so I have to rescue

Or pet dogs
or sport dogs

MOST breeders are not good enough (IMO) they do not have the experience and shouldnt be breeding, so even if you know the pedigree then you still have no guarantee about the tempriment of the pups

If you NEED to know a dog will be OK for what you want - be it good with kids, fits in with your children or whatever then there are some good breed rescues who will have assesed adult rescue dogs so you can have an idea what they will be like

You also get puppies in rescue - Ben was less than 8 weeks old, when I was getting him there were 5 other litters in the rescue and 2 pregnant bitches

The argument that people give that it will take too long for the breed they want to end up in rescue
I have to ask if that is the case and you are in a hurry then how can you possibly be finding a good breeder in that timescale??

If you buy from a less than amazing breeder then you are enabling that breeder to breed another litter of puppies. For every puppy born there is one less space in a home for another dog
So buying a puppy from an OK breeder really is condeming at least 1 dog to die in a rescue
I am sorry if people disagree with that but anyone who breeds has to be aware that there are more dogs than there are homes for dogs so they should only breed if there dogs are really really worth breeding from, if they are total experts on the breed so they can tell if they are worth breeding from and for the owner to be able to come back to them for support

I know it dosent sound it but I have no problem if someone wants to buy a pedigree dog, but I dont think they can bury their heads in the sand and say that they have nothing to do with the dogs in rescue, every dog was a mongral once - and most of the mutts in rescue have quite a few pedigree dogs in their grandparents

and I also hate the snobbary there is out there for pedigrees, it is just as bad to badly breed pedigrees as it is to breed crossbreeds
and I have far too often have people come up and be all over my dogs until they ask the question 'what breed are they' when I say 'crossbreeds' they often walk off, like they were worthy to be petted when they might have been some unknowen breed but if they are 'just' crossbreeds then suddenly they might contaminate their wheezing waddling fluffy
hi
very unfair...it is often far to hard to adopt from rescue centers....i wouldnt be allowed a dog from a rescue,because i work(albeit as a vn)and have unneutered males,it seems it is almost easier to adopt a child than a dog in some cases...although i have done a fair amount of fostering and rehoming myself,so i have contributed in my own way
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

Or pet dogs
or sport dogs

Great Post!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
very unfair...it is often far to hard to adopt from rescue centers....i wouldnt be allowed a dog from a rescue,because i work(albeit as a vn)and have unneutered males,it seems it is almost easier to adopt a child than a dog in some cases...although i have done a fair amount of fostering and rehoming myself,so i have contributed in my own way
I help out with one and we have LOAAADS of dogs who have come from homes where their owners have worked 9-5pm and because of the dog's particular breed and temperament are MORE suited to new homes where people work 9-5pm!!! (obviously after a substantial settling in period.) It's about the rescue taking the time and care to match a new owner to a dog But having unneutered males IS difficult of course...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
I know not everyone can rescue but the reasons some people give are just daft.
You are helping so I dont see a problem, nor do I see a problem with someone getting a dog from a REALLY good breeder
But most people get dogs from pretty rubbish breeders - but they think they are getting them from good breeders

I do have to question tho why should a rescue be harder to get a dog from than a good breeder? If I was breeding pups (which of course I wouldnt) I would want the homes my pups went to to be the best it was possible to get for the pups
Why are breeders less careful than rescues?? (and not all rescues - I had no checks at all to get Mia)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I help out with one and we have LOAAADS of dogs who have come from homes where their owners have worked 9-5pm and because of the dog's particular breed and temperament are MORE suited to new homes where people work 9-5pm!!! (obviously after a substantial settling in period.) It's about the rescue taking the time and care to match a new owner to a dog But having unneutered males IS difficult of course...
ahh well,i do have a crossbreed and a rescue in my pack too.....am i still condemning dogs to die? lol.
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 50 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »