Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-04-2010, 01:28 AM

Something wrong with Bramble

Thought I'd post on Dogsey in case anybody has any ideas as one of my cats isn't well.....

Straight swipe from Catsey....

Hi there.

Thought I'd pop back over (first time in ages) to Catsey rather than post on Dogsey. Something isn't right with our Tortie Bramble.

Before I start I'll just add that Bramble only ever comes into the house during the night or if she's getting fed. Although we've had her since she was 8 weeks (and she's 14 years old now) she lives a very private life and is a shy girl.

Anyway - because of this lack of contact it's hard to know quite how much weight she's lost but yesterday I was stroking her in the garden and was suddenly shocked by how skinny she was. The picture above is her normal punching weight.

I gave her the once over and she seemed OK. With 4 cats It's hard to tell if one cat isn't eating as the food will always be eaten so last night I fed her away from the other 3 cats so I could check if she was managing OK. She ate the dry food without any problem and i gave her meat which she also ate pretty damn quickly.

Tonight she's come in and something isn't right. She seems to be breathing quite fast, her waist and hips seems slim and her thighs seem wimpy and her back legs are a bit weak.

Again I've fed her - she ate fine. She 'meows' when I say her name - she purrs when I stroke her. Teeth are fine, gums are fine, eyes are bright, worming was due but not overdue so I've done that today.

Chippy, Murphy and Paddy are all fine.

At a loss really ?

---------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by dandysmom View Post
Phil, that calls for a trip to the vet ASAP, methinks! I don't like that weight loss, and as she's not in the house all the time it's no wonder you didn't notice anything before; cats are extremely clever as disguising illness. Please get her checked. And please let us know.

Just been through to the kitchen and she's still not right. I've made her a nice bed with some old towels and she's settled. It's hard to explain but rather than curling up like she always does - she's lying 'straight' a bit like the Sphinx. Her breathing still seems heavy and rather than 'sleeping' she's just kind of staring where she's pointing. Had another feel around her body but nothing seems sore or unusual other than the skinny back half.

The lethargy is a worry as she's normally quite sparky.

Anyway - she's fed, watered and cozy.

I did pick a worm off her bum a couple of days ago so whilst not ideal - I hope that it's perhaps a nutrition problem that can be sorted..

Between broken limbs, bloat and poison - we have a uncanny history of horrible emergency vet visits on Easter Sunday so I'll see how she is the morning.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 01:55 AM
I have no idea I'm afraid Phil, I'm not really up on "Cats"?

My instincts say at 14 years old it may well be serious though, so I'll have to agree and say vets asap. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I have no idea I'm afraid Phil, I'm not really up on "Cats"?

My instincts say at 14 years old it may well be serious though, so I'll have to agree and say vets asap. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Vets I think too Rips.

She's the 3rd age wise. Chippy is 16, Murphy 15 and Bramble 14 a few months older than Paddy. Don't confuse cat years with dog years though. My cats are trim outdoor cats and any one of them will zoomie past the dogs. Bramble (even a couple of days ago) can be seen up on my chimney pots after the birdies.

Just given her a few little bits of smoked cheese which she gobbled up no problem.

Just had the Dogsey gang through the kitchen / outside before bed and she never blinked. I'll sit with her while i have my brew then see what tomorrow brings.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 02:52 AM
No, I know cats live longer than dogs. My cat was 12 before she disappeared and was still fit as a fiddle, that said 14 is still a good age for a cat.

Hope all goes well for Bramble at the vets.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Hi Phil,

I'm so sorry to read that Bramble is poorly, and it is worrying that she has lost so much weight.

I have to agree with the others about the vet visit. Can you try and get in there today rather than Sunday?

I do so hope it's just worms........ the little b*ggers can be quite effective to weight loss if they "get a hold".

I didn't think 14 was a great age for a cat - I though 19-20 was pretty much the norm, although I could be wrong, as I've never actually owned one myself.

Please keep us posted, hon, I have everything crossed for your beautiful girl x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 06:57 AM
One of my sisters cats had the same symptoms and I can't for the life of me think what it was that was wrong but I know he/she did need vet treatment, so I advise the vets asap as I know it was quite serious.
I will ring her later and see if I can find out what it was her cat had, although I know it may not be the same with Bramble.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Cats are quiet prone to over active thyroids as they get older, which would explain the skinniness, the wolfing food and the quick breathing, however only a blood test will tell you that and if it is, its easily controlled with pills, a couple of mine had it and with medication lasted a lot more years
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear Bramble is not well, my cat went very thin at 14, unfortunatly she was in kidney failure. She did keep going a while longer with drugs. I hope it isn't so serious for your old girl. Good luck at the vets.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 07:59 AM
I have just spoken to my sister and she has had it with two cats and on both occasions it was kidney failure. So I would take the cat to the vets as soon as possible.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thought I'd post on Dogsey in case anybody has any ideas as one of my cats isn't well.....

Straight swipe from Catsey....

Hi there.

Thought I'd pop back over (first time in ages) to Catsey rather than post on Dogsey. Something isn't right with our Tortie Bramble.

Before I start I'll just add that Bramble only ever comes into the house during the night or if she's getting fed. Although we've had her since she was 8 weeks (and she's 14 years old now) she lives a very private life and is a shy girl.

Anyway - because of this lack of contact it's hard to know quite how much weight she's lost but yesterday I was stroking her in the garden and was suddenly shocked by how skinny she was. The picture above is her normal punching weight.

I gave her the once over and she seemed OK. With 4 cats It's hard to tell if one cat isn't eating as the food will always be eaten so last night I fed her away from the other 3 cats so I could check if she was managing OK. She ate the dry food without any problem and i gave her meat which she also ate pretty damn quickly.

Tonight she's come in and something isn't right. She seems to be breathing quite fast, her waist and hips seems slim and her thighs seem wimpy and her back legs are a bit weak.

Again I've fed her - she ate fine. She 'meows' when I say her name - she purrs when I stroke her. Teeth are fine, gums are fine, eyes are bright, worming was due but not overdue so I've done that today.

Chippy, Murphy and Paddy are all fine.

At a loss really ?

Originally Posted by dandysmom View Post
Phil, that calls for a trip to the vet ASAP, methinks! I don't like that weight loss, and as she's not in the house all the time it's no wonder you didn't notice anything before; cats are extremely clever as disguising illness. Please get her checked. And please let us know.

Just been through to the kitchen and she's still not right. I've made her a nice bed with some old towels and she's settled. It's hard to explain but rather than curling up like she always does - she's lying 'straight' a bit like the Sphinx. Her breathing still seems heavy and rather than 'sleeping' she's just kind of staring where she's pointing. Had another feel around her body but nothing seems sore or unusual other than the skinny back half.

The lethargy is a worry as she's normally quite sparky.

Anyway - she's fed, watered and cozy.

I did pick a worm off her bum a couple of days ago so whilst not ideal - I hope that it's perhaps a nutrition problem that can be sorted..

Between broken limbs, bloat and poison - we have a uncanny history of horrible emergency vet visits on Easter Sunday so I'll see how she is the morning.

Loss of weight and breathing difficulty in an old cat is not good.. sorry to say this Phil, but she could be on organ failure, the labored breathing can be a sign of heart failure...(as happened with my old cat in the summer)

Personally I would take her to the vet as soon as (emergency) to have her checked out, if she is in any kind of organ failure she needs to see the vet now.

Lets hope its not and something can be done , to could also be a number of other things, poison and the breathing could be a sign of distress/pain

Good luck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >