I am so sorry, that sounds like a totaly nightmare
I hope things are getting a little easier
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
As someone said this week, it is not lambing time, it is salvage time

We lost our electricity for 5 days (complete nightmare with two young children!) with electricity poles down and smashed all over the place. And the phone lines were also down - for two weeks (just fixed this afternoon)! Aaargh - no way of contacting anyone (as we have no mobile signal and no broadband). We had as much snow in 24 hours as we had all winter!

Lambing is a disaster We have had dozens of dead ewes - buried under snow or drowned in fast flowing burns. We have had a number of lambs stillborn or dying soon after birth, and have dozens of lambs needing to be bottled fed four and five times a day, as their mothers are too weak to feed them, have died, or simply abandon them.

A very difficult and sad time.
Oh Moobli, I'm sorry to hear this. I must admit I was not optimistic as to how you were getting on once I started hearing news from other farmers.

It must be sole destroying.

If you need more hands to help with the bottle feeding of the lambs I can probably spare a few hours over the weekend - just wish I could offer more help.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 10:25 AM
As someone said this week, it is not lambing time, it is salvage time

We lost our electricity for 5 days (complete nightmare with two young children!) with electricity poles down and smashed all over the place. And the phone lines were also down - for two weeks (just fixed this afternoon)! Aaargh - no way of contacting anyone (as we have no mobile signal and no broadband). We had as much snow in 24 hours as we had all winter!

Lambing is a disaster We have had dozens of dead ewes - buried under snow or drowned in fast flowing burns. We have had a number of lambs stillborn or dying soon after birth, and have dozens of lambs needing to be bottled fed four and five times a day, as their mothers are too weak to feed them, have died, or simply abandon them.

A very difficult and sad time.
Oh Im so sorry to hear this,

huge hugs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I am so sorry, that sounds like a totaly nightmare
I hope things are getting a little easier
Thanks BenMc. Hopefully the better weather will help, and it should also get easier once our singles are born, as their mothers should be capable of taking care of them, without the need for us to remove and bottle feed so many of them. Thanks for thinking of us.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Oh Moobli, I'm sorry to hear this. I must admit I was not optimistic as to how you were getting on once I started hearing news from other farmers.
It must be sole destroying.
If you need more hands to help with the bottle feeding of the lambs I can probably spare a few hours over the weekend - just wish I could offer more help.
Thanks Fiona, that is really kind. We are just about coping at the moment, but if we do get a flood more lambs then I would definitely love for you to come over and feed a few hungry mouths. I will let you know. It would be great if we could find some temporary "foster" homes who could rear the lambs for us and then we would take them back, but unfortunately most people don't have the time or the space.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Oh Im so sorry to hear this,
huge hugs.
Thanks Shona. I bet your farmer friends are very pleased all their little ones are born and safe now.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks BenMc. Hopefully the better weather will help, and it should also get easier once our singles are born, as their mothers should be capable of taking care of them, without the need for us to remove and bottle feed so many of them. Thanks for thinking of us.

Thanks Fiona, that is really kind. We are just about coping at the moment, but if we do get a flood more lambs then I would definitely love for you to come over and feed a few hungry mouths. I will let you know. It would be great if we could find some temporary "foster" homes who could rear the lambs for us and then we would take them back, but unfortunately most people don't have the time or the space.

Thanks Shona. I bet your farmer friends are very pleased all their little ones are born and safe now.
its so much easier for them, they dont have hundreds of sheep, they do it all indoors, there lecky didnt pack in so they had heat lamps and so on. But even given all that, its still stressful, they are up for hours every night, I just cant imagine how hard it must be for you lot,
I have never had to do outdoor lambing, even the Farmer I went out with pulled his sheep in to lamb {again not many sheep }
It must be heartbreaking for you. x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 11:08 AM
What does a foster home need to have Kirsty? And how long would they be needed?

You know that Andy is at home (most of the time). We have a fenced in garden (though would have to give some thought about how to deal with the dogs).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
What does a foster home need to have Kirsty? And how long would they be needed?

You know that Andy is at home (most of the time). We have a fenced in garden (though would have to give some thought about how to deal with the dogs).
A huge thanks again Fiona, for even considering it. However, to make it really worthwhile we would need someone who could take a good batch of lambs - say ten or more. A massive thanks again though.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 09:43 PM
A huge thanks again Fiona, for even considering it. However, to make it really worthwhile we would need someone who could take a good batch of lambs - say ten or more. A massive thanks again though.

awe hun, If I were not working so many hours now I would have took some from you the outdoor kennel {heated} and run would have worked ok for them for a few weeks....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks Shona. Well we now have 14 (at the last count) pet lambs that are being bottle fed five times a day. Thankfully they are all learning to suck really well from the bottle, so the job is a little easier and less messy than when you are first training them to the bottle

They are real cuties and there are some definite characters coming through. I just hope they all make it, as there are so many things that can go wrong with lambs that haven't had their mothers milk.

Now just keeping our fingers crossed that the snow forecast for next week never comes, or we are bound to lose yet more lambs and ewes
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks Shona. Well we now have 14 (at the last count) pet lambs that are being bottle fed five times a day. Thankfully they are all learning to suck really well from the bottle, so the job is a little easier and less messy than when you are first training them to the bottle

They are real cuties and there are some definite characters coming through. I just hope they all make it, as there are so many things that can go wrong with lambs that haven't had their mothers milk.

Now just keeping our fingers crossed that the snow forecast for next week never comes, or we are bound to lose yet more lambs and ewes
I'd heard from someone else that there was some forecast too but wasn't sure how accurate it was so didn't have the heart to mention it to you. I really, really hope that it stays clear for you.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >