View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Try ginving your rabbit paper to rip up, mine used to love paper carrier bags, newspapers etc and it won't hurt them. My daughters guinea pigs like them now.
Our rabbit also liked a football, he would push it around and mate it and if I kicked it across the garden he would chase it and herd it back.
Also some fruittree branches (that havn't been sprayed ) are good too.
The ripping of paper should release some anxiety though as it does sound like a stress thing.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks madmare, I'll try that
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Heres a wierd co-incidence, I was just emailing her breeder, to chat and send up to date photos, and I was talking about the problem, one of her rabbits, a tortoiseshell doe also has a problem with wisker pulling, she did it to some of her babies, and also did it to another rabbit after she was spayed, and a attempt to bond was made. I just thought it a bit wierd anyway
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Heres a wierd co-incidence, I was just emailing her breeder, to chat and send up to date photos, and I was talking about the problem, one of her rabbits, a tortoiseshell doe also has a problem with wisker pulling, she did it to some of her babies, and also did it to another rabbit after she was spayed, and a attempt to bond was made. I just thought it a bit wierd anyway
Not so weird - it is known to run in families!
At least you now have some kind of explanation: it's barbering, and nothing you have done wrong.

When found in smaller animals like mice & rats it's recommended not to breed from those who barber.

One of my Siamese cats self-barbered when stressed, and when I asked her breeder about it, she said she'd heard some cats in the background did the same .... including a Champion - heaven knows how they made him up to Ch as Siamese always grow their fur back in dark patches whenever they lose hair!

So it does indeed run in certain lines... as it would seem your English do, unfortunately.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Not so weird - it is known to run in families!
At least you now have some kind of explanation: it's barbering, and nothing you have done wrong.

When found in smaller animals like mice & rats it's recommended not to breed from those who barber.

One of my Siamese cats self-barbered when stressed, and when I asked her breeder about it, she said she'd heard some cats in the background did the same .... including a Champion - heaven knows how they made him up to Ch as Siamese always grow their fur back in dark patches whenever they lose hair!

So it does indeed run in certain lines... as it would seem your English do, unfortunately.
The thing is its Drew thats doing it, and that Doe has nothing to do with Nancy, the breeder who breed Nancy owns her, but the doe in question was brought elsewhere , it has got me wondering though, I got Drew when he was a unwanted bun, and he originally came from a petshop, the said pet shop in question sources buns regulary from that breeder (Drew was the first, and ever since their has always been one English in the shop at any given time ) I'm wondering if I talk to the shop if they could get in contact with the breeder and ask about their breeding stock, although they probally wont give me contact details I'm hoping that they will allow contact through the shop, although its a large chain .

The reason I don't think that they will allow me contact with the breeder is incase I source a bun from them, but my next bun is either going to be a tri-English, or a Black Belgain Hare
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
my next bun is either going to be a tri-English, or a Black Belgain Hare
Tri English are very pretty - I think Judy le Marchant brought the first in about 4-5 years ago, I saw them at the Rare Varieties club show at their debut.

And if you love English then I'd say go for a Hare - any colour - my love for 3.5 decades now and I'd have another tomorrow in a heartbeat if I could! So very intelligent, naughty and real characters, as well as being stunningly beautiful; they always remind me of deer or antelopes.

This is one of my past Hares:

and another, a Black & Tan girl who lived indoors with me as a house rabbit before I had my dog: here she is fast asleep under my computer table!
I think she may have been pregnant in that photo - she had her babies in my spare room and allowed me to watch her give birth, plus often nursed her babies while I was stroking her & them.

chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Gorgeous pics, I really would love a hare, but I'm not really actively looking for another bun, but if another English, or a Hare need a home round here and I'm approached I probally wont say no, although I'd want my two sorted out first.

I was looking at Tri-English breeders a while ago, before I got Nance and Drew, and then I looked at a few sites, and heard that there was only four breeders in the uk, but then if I'm honest I'd rather it be that there is a lower number of good breeders, then more average breeders and I had wanted a Tortie Charlie for ages, and had spoken to Nancy's breeder in 08, so when it came time to get her I drove up to Wales to her, and would do so again any day
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2