View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I'd hate to live in a big city but I don't think I'd want to live in the middle of nowhere either.

I'd like a home in a village - detached, acre of land, lovely views, good community spirit and pub, nearby town with a good hospital and schools, plus a holiday home in the middle of nowhere.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I couldn't but you never know what is round the corner... Grew up in a funny place which wasn't a town but about the same size as one, moved to a city and then a market town and then moved to a very rural area in Northumberland. 40 mins to the nearest shop and most of that was down a single track road.

We are now 2 miles down a single track road and only 15 mins to a city but it feels remote enough for me. Means I can have a night out but then come home to the peace and quiet.

Helen
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Couldn't do it! We moved from Preston city centre, getting further and further away from civilization over the last 8 years.

I hate busy places, crowds of people, traffic etc

We recently went down to London to the hospital with Hevvur, and frankly, it was awful.

Ideally, I'd like to be as remote as Moobli, but that will have to wait a few years!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Likewise. I think you have the best of both worlds down here...countryside on your doorstep, but easy access to towns and cities.

I don't live 'rural', but I'd hate to live in a city (although it would be more tolerable if I were near plenty of green space).
I'm only 10 mins from Brighton but only go in when I have to (apart from my school run job twice a day) the traffic & the tourists are a nightmare!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:15 PM
No - is the short answer. I really cannot cope with being in the city - I feel very claustrophobic.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I grew up in the middle of deepest,darkest Oxfordshire, and by the time I got to my teens, wanted out., and moved to Oxford. Moved around quite a bit, always living in a smallish town or large village after the kids came along. But, now almost 40 and I have moved to the middle of nowhere, and I love it. I have got a city within 20 minutes though, I like to go and enjoy what a city offers, shops, places to eat, museums, galleries, then come home away from it all.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I could never live in a city. Even going into town if I'm desperate for clothes or kid's presents is an ordeal. I go to town once or twice a year. I'd like to live somewhere a little more remote. In the summer the noise of people's parties and the neighbour's kids drive me nuts. I'd like to be able to sit out in the evening with a beer and hear nothing but the birds and crickets. I do love living by the coast though.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I could never live in a city. Even going into town if I'm desperate for clothes or kid's presents is an ordeal. I go to town once or twice a year. I'd like to live somewhere a little more remote. In the summer the noise of people's parties and the neighbour's kids drive me nuts. I'd like to be able to sit out in the evening with a beer and hear nothing but the birds and crickets. I do love living by the coast though.
You should move Over Wyre near us!!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
You should move Over Wyre near us!!!
We are actually planning to move to Hambleton area hopefully next year.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Hmm, this is one I wrestle with - I lived in a village growing up, and I loved it, I went to Uni in London and adored it, have since moved back to Wales and have longed to live by the beach, but we live near the town and again really like it.....we would like to be more rural, but on the other side of the coin we also sometimes wish we lived back in the city......

Damn it lol!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >