View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Could you go from Rural Living to City Living?

I know I couldn't!

I've only lived in the countryside for a year and a half, and I absolutely love it!

Since living here in the Scottish Countryside, I've been back home to the City and I didn't sleep very well, my legs hurt from walking on the pavement, rather than in mud and grass and I didn't cope so well being surrounded by people, rather than sheep and dogs!!

It's such a peaceful lifestyle, I love it!!

So, could you!?

x
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't live in the countryside... but I think I could - but only for short periods. I actually quite miss London, the hustle and bustle.

I want my cake and be able to eat it - would love to have a acre or two in london, big enough to lock everyone out but close enough to get into the city when needed
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 06:10 PM
No, I couldn't live in a city now. I spent 6 months in a flat in Edinburgh about 8 years ago and I felt so trapped.

But equally I wouldn't really want somewhere as remote as Moobli. I think i have the best of both worlds where I am.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I have done it! We went to live in a little village in the middle of Dorset with a little school for the kids with only 70 odd pupils in the whole school. 1 village shop & 1 pub - It was heaven but we came back to Sussex after 3 years - I'm a city girl at heart, but at least now we live on the edge of the South Downs so I still get my country fix - I also love being by the sea & close to the supermarket & shops!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I have done it! We went to live in a little village in the middle of Dorset with a little school for the kids with only 70 odd pupils in the whole school. 1 village shop & 1 pub - It was heaven but we came back to Sussex after 3 years - I'm a city girl at heart, but at least now we live on the edge of the South Downs so I still get my country fix - I also love being by the sea & close to the supermarket & shops!!
Likewise. I think you have the best of both worlds down here...countryside on your doorstep, but easy access to towns and cities.

I don't live 'rural', but I'd hate to live in a city (although it would be more tolerable if I were near plenty of green space).
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I did this when I went to university-I moved from a little village in the Welsh countryside to living in London.
I hated it for the first few years and would've come straight home as soon as I qualified, had I not been offered a dream job.
In total I lived there for 6 years, but never really lost the longing to be in the countryside, away from so many people, noise etc. Almost three years ago, we moved back 'home' (I live in the next town to where I was brought up) and I could never go back.
I miss my old job a lot but we have a much better quality of life now.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I have lived in a village - but I couldn`t now as I`m on my own and don`t drive. TBH there are probably more places around this town to walk my dogs than in the countryside.
I was born in London - but it`s changed so much I couldn`t live there now.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I couldn't do it. I spent 2 weeks living/working in a town last summer and thought any more of this I would go nuts. I live on the edge of peaceful woodland and the dogs love it.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I went from one extreme to the other, living pretty much in the middle of a city, then moving to literally the middle of no where! The local village had a post office, and a small one at that, and that was our lot.

Now though, I live about 10 miles outside the village, where there is a co-op, so we don't have to travel miles and miles to get some milk! Although, getting a take away is a bit of a trek!!!

x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I couldn't. I was born and grew up on the edge of the Lake District, so nice and quiet anyway. I then moved to London in my early 20s and loved city living for a few years and then started to become desperate to move back North, for the friendlier folk, the lovely countryside and the peace and quiet. Since moving back up I have lived in a number of small, rural villages and on the edges of towns before making the "big" move up to very rural Scotland.

I have to say that, even though I do occasionally miss my family and friends back in the Lakes, I don't miss the busy roads, the masses of people (especially in the summer) and having neighbours!

Up here, our nearest neighbour is half a mile away, we have beautiful views, lots of walks and complete rural living. I am not sure I could ever move back to a town or village, never mind a city
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >