Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Suitable ponies for children

Our Shetland pony has been living away on a sort of loan agreement for the past year, but is due to come home sometime this year and I would like him to have a equine friend - rather than just the sheep!

As Ben will be riding Strom, it makes sense for us to find a kind pony that would be suitable for a confident 7 year old to ride, but that would also be sturdy enough to give me the odd ride.

I am thinking along the lines of a Highland pony. Would this be suitable? Are there any other breeds or x-breeds that I should also have a look at?

Obviously, it has to be quite hardy as it will live out most of the time up here - but will have a stable/barn when the weather is particularly inclement.

Thanks.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 11:35 AM
You arent heavy are you? Im pretty sure you are tiny!!!! so A nice Welsh section A,

Or a nice Dartmoor,
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 11:48 AM
i agree a welsh would be good, hardy as well. most of the british native breeds are hardy enough to cope with living out. always liked dales and fell ponies myself but may be a bit tall for what your looking for.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree a nice little Welshy or a Dartmoor, they can withstand the weather living out. I wouldn't advise a New Forest quite honestly, coz a friend of mine had one, and he was very naughty most if not all of the time. Steer clear of the Irish Sports because they're a bit more refined, you want something sturdy with a thick woolly coat, but Shetlands are too small for you Kirsty, so the next step up would be the Welshy, Dartmoor or the (forgotten the name, but they're always black with big feathery feet?????! Sorry forgotten!!) They're great fun and again could live out. I know anything can live out, but up there on them thar hills, with the old wind blowing, brrrrr!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
i agree a welsh would be good, hardy as well. most of the british native breeds are hardy enough to cope with living out. always liked dales and fell ponies myself but may be a bit tall for what your looking for.
That's the one!! The Fell pony!!!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I agree a nice little Welshy or a Dartmoor, they can withstand the weather living out. I wouldn't advise a New Forest quite honestly, coz a friend of mine had one, and he was very naughty most if not all of the time. Steer clear of the Irish Sports because they're a bit more refined, you want something sturdy with a thick woolly coat, but Shetlands are too small for you Kirsty, so the next step up would be the Welshy, Dartmoor or the (forgotten the name, but they're always black with big feathery feet?????! Sorry forgotten!!) They're great fun and again could live out. I know anything can live out, but up there on them thar hills, with the old wind blowing, brrrrr!!
always black with big feathery feet would probably be the fell or dales.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 03:26 PM
OOhhh get a wee Tink!...Welsh A or a Welsh cross..she's a star..

Tink lives out all year rugged up and is barefoot and lives on fresh air in summer and just hay in winter..(or grass if there is enough)
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 03:33 PM
i love new forests

fells or highlands??
what about a fjord (spelling..)?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
You arent heavy are you? Im pretty sure you are tiny!!!! so A nice Welsh section A,
Or a nice Dartmoor,
Thanks Mish. I do like the Dartmoors, and am sure they would probably be hardy enough. I am not tiny anymore though unfortunately I am 5'5" and was always a very light 8 stone, but am now more like 10 stone

Thanks Tilly. I do love the Dales and Fells too. I will be looking into all different types, so thanks for the advice.

Thanks Helen. Yep a shetland is far too small (and stubborn!) for me I love the Fell ponies and the Dartmoors. Not sure what Welsh ones are like, but as they are getting the vote I will look into them too. Thanks.

That's the one!! The Fell pony!!!
A shepherd we know has an old black Fell pony who is absolutely brill, as kind and steady as they come, but he is used every day for carrying the shepherd around the hills where he lives in Northumberland, so don't think he'd part with him unfortunately.

always black with big feathery feet would probably be the fell or dales.
They are very attractive aren't they?

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
OOhhh get a wee Tink!...Welsh A or a Welsh cross..she's a star..
Tink lives out all year rugged up and is barefoot and lives on fresh air in summer and just hay in winter..(or grass if there is enough)
Thanks Louise. I love Tink's piccies and she sounds a wee sweetie, so will definitely look at the Welsh A's too.

Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
i love new forests
fells or highlands??
What is a Fjord?! I will have to google Thanks for the advice.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
i love new forests

fells or highlands??
A fjord! now that would be an eyecatching addition!! and very hardy indeed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >