View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks Will measure it tonight and then go out looking tomorrow. Fingers crossed that is the problem as I can probably fix it myself. Anything else and it would need to be sent away for repair.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Thanks Will measure it tonight and then go out looking tomorrow. Fingers crossed that is the problem as I can probably fix it myself. Anything else and it would need to be sent away for repair.
Check for any serial numbers, voltage etc on it as well Carole. Just take all the information you can off it and that way you're fully prepared tomorrow
Carole
Supervisor

15-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Check for any serial numbers, voltage etc on it as well Carole. Just take all the information you can off it and that way you're fully prepared tomorrow
Will do
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2007, 08:07 PM
everything has been suggested looks like a trip to the shop but try and unplug the cable from the pc completely leave it for a bit then plug it in with the side of and see if the cpu fan starts if it starts and stops might be just a ram chip
Carole
Supervisor

15-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks Fred tried that already and nothing at all from the pc.
Carole
Supervisor

16-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Well it looks like Wufflehoond might be right Got a new PSU today and its still dead.

Anyone know how much it would be for a replacement motherboard? Its a pentium4 pc.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Well it looks like Wufflehoond might be right Got a new PSU today and its still dead.

Anyone know how much it would be for a replacement motherboard? Its a pentium4 pc.
If it were me, I'd take it in to a local shop and have them take a look at it. At lease they'll make sure it's sorted and up and running before you get it back. We don't even fix our own anymore as we have a local pc shop that's really good. Sorry the psu didn't fix the problem Carole
Carole
Supervisor

16-09-2007, 04:07 PM
That is the problem all the pc shops charge a diagnostic fee of around £70 I am beginning to think I should cut my losses and get a new one now.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 05:15 PM
That is the problem all the pc shops charge a diagnostic fee of around £70 I am beginning to think I should cut my losses and get a new one now.
That's a bit steep. How old is the pc? Are you due a new one? TBH we've decided when ours starts to go, we'll never build another one ourselves. They're that cheap to buy new ones now, it's not worth the effort!Last time it happened to us, we replaced psu, motherboard, hard drive and so on. Would have been better to buy a new one from the off! Also, it makes OH insane, cause they never go right for us first time LOL. I tend to agree and would probably get a new one but that's just my humble opinion
Carole
Supervisor

16-09-2007, 05:23 PM
It is 2 years old now. I could probably get one made up at Dell for less than £300 and it would be better than the current desktop. It would have more memory and a bigger hard drive.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >