View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 07:55 AM
I do totally agree with the little quote.

I have said it, and thought it for a long long time;

Much as I have learned loads for Kerrie, and I love her to bits. I know that, she would have been an amazing dog for someone who had the know how and the skills right from the off. (not me, who has had to figure it all out)

I do believe she could have been a good sport dog, she is very very smart, and very handler dependent.
I also feel that a better handler could have solved her DA

Yes, I do feel guilty
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
This is an interesting thread.

I left the training club I had joined with Molly when she was barely 6 months old because the trainer was giving me a hard time for 'letting her down'. I asked him to explain himself as Molly was excelling in her obedience. He told me I should be training more extensively with the view of competing her in the future. I have no desire whatsoever to compete (got the Tshirt for that many many moons ago) and I explained that she was at an acceptable standard for what I wanted from her (sociable, well-mannered and obedient to basic commands).

He was quite disgusted and basically suggested that I didn't deserve her.

Molly has a wonderful life, she goes everywhere and does everything with me. We train and play regularly and I ensure that she is stimulated with new challenges often.

I definitely haven't fulfilled Molly's potential in respect of competing...........but have I let her down for not doing so? I don't think so.
i think i left the same club, but at agility, the whole win at any costs attitude made me really uncomfortable, the whole idea for me is to have fun with my dogs if they do win thats a bonus, but its not the be all and end all.

On the other side, i have one dog that i wish i had, had from a pup her drive to work is out of this world, just a pity someone let her go self employed from an early age, and i have had to spend the last 4 years correcting that, if someone had put the work in early on she'd have been an outstanding working dog, as it is she's about there
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
This is an interesting thread.

I left the training club I had joined with Molly when she was barely 6 months old because the trainer was giving me a hard time for 'letting her down'. I asked him to explain himself as Molly was excelling in her obedience. He told me I should be training more extensively with the view of competing her in the future. I have no desire whatsoever to compete (got the Tshirt for that many many moons ago) and I explained that she was at an acceptable standard for what I wanted from her (sociable, well-mannered and obedient to basic commands).

He was quite disgusted and basically suggested that I didn't deserve her.

Molly has a wonderful life, she goes everywhere and does everything with me. We train and play regularly and I ensure that she is stimulated with new challenges often.

I definitely haven't fulfilled Molly's potential in respect of competing...........but have I let her down for not doing so? I don't think so.
When I started to read this thread I immediately thought of an older neighbour who had a very similar experience to yours. He enjoyed a local agility club - it turned out his dog had great potential but he didn't and everyone at the club was just awful to him - stating outright that he should pass her on to someone who would take her all the way.

Yes, in some ways its a bit of a shame that so many dogs don't reach their potential because of their handlers but do the dogs care? I'm damn sure that Meg didn't think 'if it wasn't for him I'd be a champion by now'. she has a very happy life and there is a strong bond between her and her owner.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2012, 12:57 PM
What we think would be a better life for dogs is not always what they like best anyway.
My OHs dog is a great example, he goes to work with my OH most days which involves a walk on the beach in the morning then spending the rest of the day sat behind a shop counter with a short spin in the park at midday. This dog is really clever and great to train so I often tease my OH and tell him he's like someone with a ferrarri that he just uses to fetch milk from the local shop.
On paper the dog would be much better off staying at home with me where there is a couple of acres for him, daily training, stimulation and play with the other dogs etc. but the dog prefers going into the shop and is dead fed up on the one day a week he doesn't go in!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I do totally agree with the little quote.

I have said it, and thought it for a long long time;

Much as I have learned loads for Kerrie, and I love her to bits. I know that, she would have been an amazing dog for someone who had the know how and the skills right from the off. (not me, who has had to figure it all out)

I do believe she could have been a good sport dog, she is very very smart, and very handler dependent.
I also feel that a better handler could have solved her DA

Yes, I do feel guilty
You have no reason to feel guilty. Is it possible that someone else may have done better
I guess its possible
its also possible that many many people would have done worse - and most people would not have tried - she would have been dumped or PTS

and these 'better' people were not there for her - you were
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
You have no reason to feel guilty. Is it possible that someone else may have done better
I guess its possible
its also possible that many many people would have done worse - and most people would not have tried - she would have been dumped or PTS

and these 'better' people were not there for her - you were
Oh, I am under no illusion, that she may have been PTS or abused because of the way she is. But at the same time, I do feel guilt.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Oh, I am under no illusion, that she may have been PTS or abused because of the way she is. But at the same time, I do feel guilt.
I am the same with Cookie, I do think that someone else who knew better would have got him out of his DA earlier and fully, where as for the most part he is now fine, but still kicks of every now on then, especially on lead and if the other dog is kicking off.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I am the same with Cookie, I do think that someone else who knew better would have got him out of his DA earlier and fully, where as for the most part he is now fine, but still kicks of every now on then, especially on lead and if the other dog is kicking off.

Don't you believe it, not everything can be cured, so don't beat yourself up unecessarily.

(Let me do that for you)
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Don't you believe it, not everything can be cured, so don't beat yourself up unecessarily.

(Let me do that for you)

I think I probably just love him too much, if that is possible. As such I want the very best for him. I would be no good with children, if there was anything wrong with Cookie they would end up starving
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4