Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MilosOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Chewing chair!

Hey all nees some advice my puppy is 6 mnths old and is chewing my dining chair when we are out he was only doing it to the one bt ia startin on the other what can i do? X
stafford
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Has he got plenty of chew toys or even a treat/food ball?
Just to keep his mind stimulated while no one is home.

Edit to say, have you thought of using a training cage when your not home so he doesn't get in to trouble or harm himself.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Put something nasty tasting on the chair leg,, like bitter apple, stop n grow or even tabasco (provided your dog isn't a spicy food junkie like one of mine is!) Then it won't be so pleasant and rewarding for him. You'll have to provide some alternative chewies though.
MilosOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah he got loadsa chew toys! Just dont want him ruining my table too lol
Tiny Paws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Albie is back to chewing now - he has started eating the door jam of his room when he is shut up in it for a while. Tried extra toys, chews, etc....but still doing it. He is also too big for the largest of crates now - so has to be shut behind a stair gate in his room! He gets told off when he does it and ignored for a few mins - and seems to know that he has done wrong. In every other way he is maturing into a lovely young man. I am hoping that this is just a faze, and as he is now 6 1/2 months old (2-3 in human years???) maybe its just the terrible twos and he will grow out of it. Or a touch of seperation anxiety as he spends all of his time next to me when I'm here!!!
This morning, just spent 2 hours sanding the door frame down, filling in, then sanding again before priming. Will gloss it later.
The plan is to pop out to the shops later, but smother the door frame in mustard first. Then we'll see what happens.......wish me luck
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Close the door to the room the table`s in?
It`s something they usually grow out of provided it`s not anxiety or they`re being left too long.
Try leaving him a filled Kong so he has something to chew.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 12:52 PM
My dogs are just 9 months old and one has started to chew more than he did. I've been using an anti-chew spray (from Pets@Home or most pet shops) and that has stopped him. I did find him chewing the carpet on the bottom stair a day or so ago so that is now covered in anti-chew. I've also just ordered some more toys that he can chew but are for severe chewers.
Good luck!!
MilosOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:24 PM
HeyA thanks all.. Milos the same he knows hes done wrong bt if u leave him e continues to do it.. Ruined my dining chair bt i need to stop him before he ruins the rest. Hes been pritty good up till nw.. Hes 6 mnths too! Mite try that spray and gt him a kong! Lol. Wish me luck ha
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:32 PM
1. If he's done one he'll do more. I lost 4 to my JRT getting into the dining room.

2. Shut the door to the room (mine had double doors and he still managed to get in so put locks on too), or exclude him from that part of the house with dog gates, ie restrict him to the kitchen.

3. As others have said, do you crate him, ie make him a secure bed to go in at night etc so it's a safe place to shut him in when you are out.

4. Give him plenty of stimulation with kongs, toys, the radio, whilst you are gone. My Jacks get through tonnes of toys and chews.

How long is he being left for? He's only a pup but aften when they've got through a chewing stage they have another one just before they are a year old......and it's not chewing, but teething at his age.

Hope that helps