Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I'm sure we've had this conversation before . If I do a companion show I always enter the fun classes as well as there a lot less serious and we enjoy them more. Also i use them as practise for the pups.
Just a thought was the springer a working English if it was it shouldnt be in the pedigree classes as it wont have full KC papers.
Yes, that conversation we have! But I'm not talking abot the Companion classes, this was the only Scottish Scruffts heat. The show for crossbreeds only.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
is it because they didnt have papers?
It's got nothing to do with papers. Scruffts is for crossbreed dogs, not pedigrees with or without papers.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Just a thought was the springer a working English if it was it shouldnt be in the pedigree classes as it wont have full KC papers.
This ESS did not look like a working ESS, it looked like a show ESS, it had all the furnishings and everything! It was most definitely an ESS from show stock.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Hold up all, I'm talking about Scruffts! It's for crossbreeds/mongrels only! I'm not talking about proper show dogs entering a Companion show!
Sorry hun didnt realise you were talking about "scrufts" I really should read the threads better.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry hun didnt realise you were talking about "scrufts" I really should read the threads better.
No problem.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The one and only time I took my dogs in a show (apart from a village fete fun thing) was at a show in Surrey where there was a `proper` show and also fun classes. The people who entered the pedigree classes also entered the fun classes (most handsome dog etc) . I heard one of them say - well it`s a rosette at least! The judge also took a Pedigree class. The showing people all knew each other and sneered at the rest of us. Guess who won?
Never again.
Aw, Claire. Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you do get these types of people at shows, including Companion and also agility shows! Wouldn't you try another one again, a different one?

I feel I am well within my rights to express my disgust at the state of this Scruffts heat. It makes a shambles of the whole thing, as if the crossbreed mean less than the pedigrees, which they don't!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Takes the fun out of 'fun dog show' doesn't it? I've entered Loki in a few of these. Once he came second to a Husky that was lunging and snapping at the judge! Sure it was a pretty dog, but shouldn't it be about temperament also?
Never entered a show where any judge knew Loki's breed. You would think that they would make the effort to know these things. Last show we did, the winner was an overweight Lhasa Apso with a dummy in it's mouth (owner was on first name terms with the mayoress, judging). I would like to do these fun classes, but they seem to be run by people who don't know about dogs.

And yes, I too have seen full pedigrees in crossbreed classes. Even labs and cockers - very recognisable breeds, I would think...
Some people have no taste!

Yes, you would thank they would recognise a popular breed such as an ESS, wouldn't you?!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Wangling the rules goes on all over! We used to put our Kali in the local show, just to take part in the local Community. On his first turnout, he came 2nd in the "Collies" class. Another pet collie called Ben took first. The prize shield could be retained if a dog won it three times in a row.

One farmer, though, had had his eyes on it for ages, and got the rules changed. Pet collies were now excluded, and had to be entered as "Any Other Breed" This, of course, put Kali out of the running, and the farmer's dog won, even with binder twine tangled in its coat - and kept the shield, although he never won three times in a row!

This same dog also broke loose in the showring and attacked all the other entrants: it should have been out on its a**e, but it went on to win!

Thank goodness the County Show is better run: Kali was able to show his true worth there, with 6 wee rosettes to his credit, over the years. He retired at age 10.

Snorri
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Wangling the rules goes on all over! We used to put our Kali in the local show, just to take part in the local Community. On his first turnout, he came 2nd in the "Collies" class. Another pet collie called Ben took first. The prize shield could be retained if a dog won it three times in a row.

One farmer, though, had had his eyes on it for ages, and got the rules changed. Pet collies were now excluded, and had to be entered as "Any Other Breed" This, of course, put Kali out of the running, and the farmer's dog won, even with binder twine tangled in its coat - and kept the shield, although he never won three times in a row!

This same dog also broke loose in the showring and attacked all the other entrants: it should have been out on its a**e, but it went on to win!

Thank goodness the County Show is better run: Kali was able to show his true worth there, with 6 wee rosettes to his credit, over the years. He retired at age 10.

Snorri
Gosh - it`s like something out of Hamish Macbeth! Well done Kali.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:59 PM
thats showing for ya eh,, it happens at all of them from champ down to scuffts

wonder if vinnie would have done well........joking lol
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »