View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Need help with caring for a newborn baby bird.

Trust me. I found a cracked egg (well my son did) and on closer inspection it was moving. Looks like a crow or something had taken it from a nest and dropped it as there were no trees or bushes around, I had a look to put it it back but couldn't find anything so it's obviously been taken from a garden or quite a distance.

Anyway I think it's a blackbird but could be a starling. It hatched so I kept him warm and he started chirping after a while. I have been giving it bits of worm with tweezers but not sure if this is what he needs. Obviously I cannot regurgitate his food for him! He's a lot weaker now than this morning but still hanging in. I'll be surprised if he survives but I can't cast him out now. He could be premature too as he was obviously snatched as an egg and cracked when dropped, but not too early as there was no fluid or anything in the egg.

Poor wee thing. Any advice welcome.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Not sure what to sugest hun, Except you could contact a local wildlife centre and ask them for some advice , Sorry Im not really much help , I hope you get something sorted for the little orphan birdy xxdk
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't hold out much hope but good luck.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Can't suggest anything, but I very much doubt if it will survive. I know you need to keep it warm though. If you had some live mealworms like I've got by the tonne you could have fed those to it with your tweezers! Carry on digging Kel, you never know, it might survive? Probably a magpie took it and dropped it or maybe a squirrel, they steal eggs too!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys, i've plenty of worms and bugs in the compost bin H but I read online I should feed it a dry dog food (soaked) and scrambled egg mixture.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:37 PM
there are some really good resources online.. when we had Marlin the Starlin' i looked into handrearing, but in the end i found where he had come from and put him back in the nest and luckily the parents accepted him..

but sometimes eggs will be rejected by parents if their nest becomes disturbed.. at the mo we're handrearing a redtailed hawk chick.. its parents rejected it when my dad had to make another enclosure near where they were nesting (i posted a while back about a dog trying to get into the garden)..

we've only really had success with pigeons in the past, but there's no harm in trying for the poor little thing..
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:41 PM
if you can hold of some handrearing fomula tomorrow from the pet shop ( it is normally kaytee)
or egg food that will be okay for a few days if it survives

i could post you some handrearing food tomorrow if you cannot get some

it will need to fed every couple of hours
water is all you can give it to drink through a syringe
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks, i've had a look online but can't find much really.

Thanks Jackie, if he makes it through the night i'll go down to PAH tomorrow and see if I can get some. It's looking slim though he's really quiet now compared to earlier.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:51 PM
keep him really warm Random

we raised a swift last year and that had only hatched too
he made it on handrearing food and flew off a few months later to join his mates

have you a heating pad like a reptile one?
we used that and kept him really warm, or close to a radiator will do it
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by jackiew View Post
keep him really warm Random

we raised a swift last year and that had only hatched too
he made it on handrearing food and flew off a few months later to join his mates

have you a heating pad like a reptile one?
we used that and kept him really warm, or close to a radiator will do it
He is on one of those things you put in the microwave at the moment Jackie, I have to keep reheating it every hour or so but my dad is sorting a lamp out for him for the night, never thought of the radiator!

He just seems to be struggling now, doesn't look good.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >