View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
A word of warning to anyone with hamsters. DON`T buy the fluffy bedding. They eat it and it can`t be digested and they can have serious problems.....The pet shops still sell it, but it is not safe. We were shocked to know that a product was being sold that was potentially life threatening.The shredded papery stuff is much better even though the fluff looks lovely to us.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
yes fluffy bedding its dangerous and should be allowed to be sold

rescuing hamsters - personally id buy one because like everything you know it from a baby -

my harrys cage was quite tall - they arnt stupid- as long as the shavings are thick they wont get hurt
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
A word of warning to anyone with hamsters. DON`T buy the fluffy bedding. They eat it and it can`t be digested and they can have serious problems.....The pet shops still sell it, but it is not safe. We were shocked to know that a product was being sold that was potentially life threatening.The shredded papery stuff is much better even though the fluff looks lovely to us.
Thats the first thing I got rid of when I got my pet shop.

My hamster (years ago) got some stuck round its leg.

I only sell the paper bedding
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
or shred toilet paper lol
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks again guys

A rescue, i think, is out of the question as Ramble said, its mainly for my daughter so we really need to get a baby as she is only 6. i am off to Wilkinsons after school, bit of a trudge but my mum had a quick look for me and said they have quite a few different ones, i will certainly bare in mind the height.

Although i have contacted the rescue just to see what they have (couldnt resist)

There is only 1 breeder in my area but they only breed dwarfs
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Just joining in
I had a male Syrian hamster after my ex husband made me give up my BC. He decided a hamster was "okay" . He was silvery grey and white and called "Bilbo", hence his house (a large Critter Trail cage) was called "Bag End"

He was fabulous and so friendly. He used to follow me around the kitchen in his exercise ball

I'd also recommend finding a good breeder - I disagree with petshops selling animals as most of them come from breeders who are simply out for profit and don't worry about in-breeding, genetic abnormalities and health issues. I think most people think pet shop hammies are "fine" because it's the traditional way of aquiring one, and a lot of people don't think of hamsters as being in the same vein of pets as dogs and cats.

Good luck finding a lovely friend for your daughter!

ETA - I used Carefresh as my hamster bedding and what was essentially shredded jay-cloths went in for his bed. I still use Carefresh now in my rabbits' litter tray. It's cardboard based, absorbs really well and traps the urine smell as well. Or you can toilet train your hamster - I had a little "toilet house" for Bilbo that had special small animal litter crystals in it, so the toilet was cleaned out daily and the whole cage done weekly.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, what a trek that was but a very successful one, we have got our cage!!!!! (thanks for the tip Alice and dogs )

Nice big one, wire with plastic bottom with 2 levels attached via tubes (nice big ones), comes with a wheel and a little house, it looks great, Mia is really excited now.

All we have to do now is find our hammy, i am not a fan of pet shops selling animals BUT our local one is very good, its a family run business and they have been around for about 20 years, we know the owner quite well now as with the amount of animals we have, we are regular customers so, i do know if i had any problems they wouldnt hesitate to do something about it.

I had a chat with one of the staff in there and he was very knowledgable and after talking to the owner he assured me they use the same breeder for all their hammy's. I know you could say "well of course he would say that" but i do trust him as he has his reputation to think of and they are very well known in the area.

There are no breeders (that i can find) in my area, 1 in London but they only breed dwarfs.

So, its off to the pet shop tomorrow to see their new arrivals
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:18 PM
awww thats great!!!!!

plenty of pics of the hammy n its new home needed!!!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
awww thats great!!!!!

plenty of pics of the hammy n its new home needed!!!
Oh you are sooooooooooo gonna regret saying that
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Mia is really excited now
Who am i trying to kid, I am sooooooooo excited now too
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >