something likre that:::

they can climb more then...

(but check the size of the tubes..¬!)))
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
forgot to say - you can make your own

which are bigger, cheaper and more fun!!!

just get 2 empty storage boxes - plastic - drills holes in etc..... water bottle - food bottle etc

you could make the howl thing for less than 30 quid and it'd be bigger thana normal cage.......
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I like that, where is that from?

I'm sure our pet shop had a similar one to that, didnt see how much it was though as we were looking at the other ones, i think we will have to go back again tommorow and have another look as i would like to get the cage before we get the hamster, so its all set up ready.

I think i better take some more money with me, i get the feeling hammy will end up with a palace
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
check out all the online pet shops too, thats how we got Sulu's extension...looked online then phoned the shop...was here in no time and the people were great!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't advise that cage that Suze posted, wire floors are really bad for their feet. We have a home made one -

These are some wilkinsons cages which are great, only £20 too!

And this is our DIY job!

Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks guys

I thought the one Suze posted was a plastic bottom but yes i did read no wire on the bottom.

We are going back to our local pet shop today (I dont have a Wilkinsons) I remember seeing one in there, that might be suitable, we just didnt look at it closely.

Although, my parents have a Wilkinsons near them but i wont be seeing them until the weekend, i spose i could try and persuade Mia to wait a few more days, we could still pick which hammy she wants and they would hold it for us.

Shes worried they will sell them all
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Rather than buying from a pet shop have you considered going to a hamster breeder instead, I 'm sure they'll have a steady supply of babies!
http://www.hamsters-uk.org/ The National Hamster Council should know of breeders in your area.
After all we go on about responsible puppy buying and only go to breeders not pet shops :smt002
Becky
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks Becky

I did ask that question too are pet shop hammys ok or should i go to a breeder but everyone seemed to think pet shop ones were fine.

I am soooooooooo confused :smt101
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
People who breed small animals commercially for pet shops are in a similar vein as puppy farmers, not always you get the odd ones that are surplus from show breeders.
How about rescuing one? Many of the ones in rescue are only a few months old. Here you are, co-ordinator in SE London! http://www.thehamstersite.com/rescue_centres1.htm
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Make sure the cage you get isn't too tall. Hamsters are almost blind and are ground dwelling animals so don't 'get' it if they have a high shelf...they will jump off and can injure themselves. Just be awre of that if you think about getting a rat cage or anything...they are bigger animals so can deal with the drop better.

If your local pet shop is anything like mine, they can give great advice. I took my son to our friendly local pet shop to seek advice on medding/cages etc, but he doesn't stock livestock so we had to go elsewhere. We considered a rescue, but be aware, you won't know it's age or temperament... and that perhaps isn't ideal for a first time hamster owner who is only 6 years of age.
We tried to find a breeder...but couldn't.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >