Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys

We are going to have a look in our local pet shop to see whats what, just a look!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mforster85 View Post
i would recommend a male though as female can sometimes get moody
It HAS to be a girl, shes already thinking of names
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Ok, my next question, are pet shop hamsters ok to buy or should i find a private seller?

Or maybe it depends on the pet shop, our local one is very good and i have known and used them for years, never bought actual animals from them though, only supplies.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
syrian hamster - definately!!

i had 4 hamsters - 1 syrian - 3 russians - the syrians MUST live alone - the russians can live together but mine fought...

anyhoq - the russians (dwarfs) are evil litle sods - the syrian - harry - was lovley - only bit me once when i frightened him lol!!!

as for cage - i got the biggest i could (which if you lived closer is for sale lol!) - that cost me 40 quid - + the toys etc - at least 50 quid if you want it all done ina big cage....

syrians are a lovely first hamster - i miss mine - dont like the dwarf hamsters though tbh - i have 2 left now and i will never ever buy any more!!!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Ok, my next question, are pet shop hamsters ok to buy or should i find a private seller?

Or maybe it depends on the pet shop, our local one is very good and i have known and used them for years, never bought actual animals from them though, only supplies.
mine all were pet shop bought

harrry was in a terrible condition when i bought him - he got wet tail - and apparantly most hamsters die when they had that

anyhow - i recon her was about 1 when i gothim - he was about 3 when he died - they are only supposed to live to max 2 lol!

the dwarfs also bought from petshop - they will be 2 this year - (again only supposed to live 1 - 1/2)!

so its upto you really - personally i couldnt be bothered with the hastle with going to a breeder but thats my lazy attitude!! mine have al been ace - harry had his problems - but i choose to spend £££ on him...#

good luck
mforster85
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
i bought mine from a pet shop and he was fine, just look out for wet tail as its a killer,
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
We used to have Hampsters Chip and Dale they were both very good with their teeth we then decided to have Guinee Pigs and they were lovely I would recommend them to anyone with children. I believe at Pets @ Home they do starter kits for any pet
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I have found Fudge a sweet pet, I didn't even like Hamsters when MIL turned up with him.

He is Male and a Syrian ,males are more even tempered than Females. So a good combination for a first hammy owner.

My brothers kids have several the "evilones"they are Roborovski's they bite and his kids can't handlr them,they live as a pair . He also has two Syrians who live in seperate cages and they are both friendly, the female can nip, the boy is the most friendly.

If I was to buy one, I would ask to handle them first so you can see how tame they are, and if they do get much interaction with humans. I do have a small book about Hamsters if you would like I could post it to you.

This is a good hamster website
http://www.hamsterhideout.com/allabthams.html

Here is a list of reputable breeders
http://www.britishhamsterassociation...te_breeder.php
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the replies.

I think we will go for a Syrian and will see if i can persuade her to get a male although i think that is a losing battle. Shes a girl and doesnt want a stinky boy

Wet tail? I didnt think hamsters even had tails.

Now, see this is where i dont want to get caught out, you would think buying a hamster would be simple but its not, which is why i thought i'd ask some questions first.

I have owned most other rodents but not hamsters so i know nothing about them (as you can probably tell )

Also, Mia (my daughter) has seen a cage she wants, it has a plastic bottom, wire sides and then loads of tubes running here and there. Crittertrail i think it was called.

Are those sort of cages ok?

Sorry for all the questions but if we are going to do it, i want to do it properly and want hammy to be happy
mforster85
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2008, 02:11 PM
well they have tiny tails lol its a horrid disease which basicaly they cant do the toilet and well its gross, ive had about 30+ hamsters and girls are usually the stinky ones they come into season every few days and smell rather musty,
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I have 3 hamsters...2 Syrians and a Winter White.
My 2 syrians (male and a female) actually live together, as 1 of them is barren, so they can't breed!
My Winter White (very similar to a Russian Dwarf) has only got 3 legs (she was born like that), but is a great climber!

All are as friendly as each other - but thats because we handle them often!
Speedy (female Syrian) has bitten OH once, but thats cos he disturbed her lol
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »