Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You keep saying that Sal, but where is the evidence to support it? If you are talking of dog fighting, then its never going to stop, call the dogs whatever you like, however if the PB was banned, then all these dogs people say roam, get loose or are pets, that cause such injuries wouldnt be here to do it would they? lets face it how may PB's that have inured people are fighting dogs? I think you will find that a fighting PB will have a very good temperamnet towards people.
With regards to the DDA wasn't the evidence there for all to see the 1st of January this year.Pitts are banned yet one managed to kill a young girl.
Dog attacks have not decreased since the introduction of the DDA.
I still beileve it's the owners sheer irresponsilbilty,so we need to clamp down on them,not innocent dogs of the same breed.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:03 PM
It's the same as shark attacks, many blame shark attacks on Great Whites when in reality it's about 5 different, but very similar looking, species that are responsible!
Becky
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:05 PM
a predisposition to aggressive behaviour is bound to be more prevalent in some breeds than others, but i too agree with Sal- some people will just latch on to another breed for its potential traits. a ban would also be pretty much impossible to enforce as, among other things, the varying meanings of the term "pit bull" could also cause problems..
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:07 PM
, however if the PB was banned, then all these dogs people say roam, get loose or are pets, that cause such injuries wouldnt be here to do it would they?
but how can you be sure that ALL the dogs that roam free are pits i am sure there are vast amounts of crosses etc and i cant see how just banning pits will stop that problem?

dogs will still be in packs and still be capable of attacking. in this incident i am sure that if it was a pack of sheperds or mastiffs, or boxers etc etc that were vicikous would have killed the woman also, a pack of dogs is dangerous regardless of breed.

therefore just banning pitbulls wont ,make any difference
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i dont agree dawn, yes there have been reports and yes there are dreadful injuries/deaths caused by dogs. A pitbull will do ,more damage than a similar sized breed due to its powerful jaw etc.

However, there are no statistics recorded that show accurate figures for death due to pitbull/dog attacks. There are insidents reported, but the actual figures etc are a little blurred as their has been pitbull caused deaths but these are rare and thus when they overall dog bite numbers increase its all blamed on pitbulls / rotties etc when in fact its just that these cases stand out more due to it being a fatal attack.

Theres not much mention of other deaths at the hands of other dogs eg: 6 week old baby mauled by a pomeranian in october 2000 ( USA)

Fatal injuries are rare, but yes pitbulls have been respnsible for some of them.But again take them away wipe them out etc you will just get another breed preyed on.

take the rotties that killed the baby in the pub - was their an amnesty on them - did people have to hand over family pets ?? No, but because a "pit type " dog killed a little girl in merseyside people get their family staffies seized ??

its a dangerous territory to get into - you dont deal with the problems and every time its the breeders/owners who are not held accountable.

We in this country need stricter laws on cruelty, animal ownership and the RSPCA need police powers to act on offernders.

As far as the US is concerned i think a huge issue is chained dogs, something like 89% of dog attacks are on the owners property so that says it all as far as i am concerned.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in699668.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in694926.shtml

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGQAD3UJ61.DTL

http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/1207/480457.html

Those are stories from the first page of a search. I think you will find PB are responsible for MOST of the deaths to people by dogs according to breed.

The PB is a breed I like, however given its current state, I think keeping them as pets is far from ideal looking at the frequency of attacks by supposed "pets" that have never showed aggression before.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
but how can you be sure that ALL the dogs that roam free are pits i am sure there are vast amounts of crosses etc and i cant see how just banning pits will stop that problem?

dogs will still be in packs and still be capable of attacking. in this incident i am sure that if it was a pack of sheperds or mastiffs, or boxers etc etc that were vicikous would have killed the woman also, a pack of dogs is dangerous regardless of breed.

therefore just banning pitbulls wont ,make any difference
I didnt say ALL dogs that roam are PB, Im going on the stories and the fact that people are quoting dogs getting loose, escaping from chains etc and these being the dogs that are responsible for the attacks we are seeing. ESCAPED PETS. I agree thousands of dogs escape, but how many kill people when they do, or at least launch attacks of serious proportions to the degree we are seeing with the PB?

Just offering other sides to this. People said Cane Corso's, Presas etc.. would be the next PB, but they arent, nor I dont think they ever will be.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:13 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in699668.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in694926.shtml

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGQAD3UJ61.DTL

http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/1207/480457.html

Those are stories from the first page of a search. I think you will find PB are responsible for MOST of the deaths to people by dogs according to breed.

The PB is a breed I like, however given its current state, I think keeping them as pets is far from ideal looking at the frequency of attacks by supposed "pets" that have never showed aggression before.
Exactly Stories,media stories which by all accounts very rarely get the correct breed.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Just offering other sides to this. People said Cane Corso's, Presas etc.. would be the next PB, but they arent, nor I dont think they ever will be.
If Pitbulls are banned then they very well could be. The fact that many have managed to import Amstaffs into this country when in reality they shouldn't have been able to goes to show that a ban simply doesn't work.
Maybe particular breeds should have a licence to be owned as a way of controlling them?
Becky
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:18 PM
This is what a court in OHIO in the US heard in 2006.
Although some Statistics were presented in a CDC Report,which listed different dog breeds involved with human fatalities for the entire US,these Statistics were from 1979-1996.Most experts acknowleged that these were just simply bare Statistics,without reference to the total numbers of dogs in each breed population.
During the hearing the trial court acknowleged that since these numbers were simply bare statistics without reference to the total numbers of dogs in each breed the Statistics had no real relevance or meaning.

In addition,testimony was presented that the situations and reasons for any dog attacks,information which was not included in the CDC report, were much more important to the purpose of preventing further injuries than bare numbers.One expert testified that most fatal attacks on children could be attributed to lack of parental supervision,rather than inheretly vicious dogs.

Although Dr Wright testified he believed Pitbulls have some sort of trigger mechanism,which makes there behaviour unpredictable and they give off no warning signals,he acknowleged he had done no studies and had no scientific data,proof or any other evidence in support of his theory.
The other experts dismissed this theory and agreed that all dogs give off signals which may be ignored or unrecognised by people.

After considering the evidence the court found that Pitbulls are not,as a breed more dangerous than other breeds.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I dont know many pitbulls but know lots of boxers (my choosen breed)and have known alot of boxers attack people, and injure them quite bad, not often reported because the boxers are not part of the DDA, the reason all the attacks by pits are reported is because there on the DDA.
Having said that lots of other dogs, not all pits and rotts attack people and livestock and are reported, and people just dont panick as much if a collie or poodle live next door but they can inflict as much damage on a small child as a larger dog, i think imo if youre going to ban i mean total ban,wipe out irradicate a breed like the pitbull, you'l need to do a alround irradication of type dogs and it just wont work.
You've all heard the saying you only want what you cant have, well imo it makes people only want dogs they know they shouldnt have, a few years back not to far from here a glut of white boxers popped up, i was wondering why so many were about then a well known druggie was known to have told his mates etc that you'l know a dealer by the white boxer he walks, told to me by a police officer so people seem to follow a trend, its just a shame that the animals and then the people have to suffer through thoughtless mindless people breeding dogs they know may be one day seized because of there type. i also believe if the kc made tatooing complusory then the staffies wouldnt get typed as pit types if the parents are tatooed as staffies then so should the pups the them not tatooed would be known to be types or pits and normal joe public will know not to buy un tatooed pups but it would have to be fool proofed.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »