Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Punish the deed, NOT the breed, is my opinion.
BUT

punishing the deed is too late, the damage has been done

so should wipe them out to eliminate SOME of the problem

i agree wiping the breed out wont stop ALL of it, but i will imo stop a lot
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:46 PM
The problem with pit Bulls is they were not bred to be aggressive to people and a lot of them now are lethal. Do a quick search and there are so many DEATHS by this breed, to me it seems they are completely different now to what they were originally. A SBT could be classed as a dog killer, but never ever a danger to people, this was how the PB was, but not any more. They strike without warning and inflict devastating injuries very quickly. Personally I think the relevant Countries ought to look into very strict control of such dogs in an attempt to curb the increasing amount of fatalities caused by this one breed.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I blame the owners of these dogs to be honest , I have known some fantastic pit bulls ,That where just big teddy bears ,I agree with Vicki its deed not breed , After all pitbulls are not the only dogs to attack people un provoked ,There just the ones in the public eye that are focused on , And surely if you wipe out the entire breed these people will just move on to another breed and turn them into lethal killing machines , So if there wiped out a lot of family pets will be innocently destroyed because of mindless morons who train these dogs to kill ,jmo xxdk
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:49 PM
THere are more attacks though by Labradors I believe than any other breed! The only difference being that maybe Lab's are not as strong in muscle tone, jaw etc. so do not give as much damage as a Pit Bull or other extremely powerful breed does.

So in reality should we ban Lab's now?

Still say that most of attacks are owner related, nothing to do with the breed as such. People need to be trained and notified on how to deal with dogs, or any other animal for that matter correctly.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
BUT

punishing the deed is too late, the damage has been done

so should wipe them out to eliminate SOME of the problem

i agree wiping the breed out wont stop ALL of it, but i will imo stop a lot
No it won't suze,
They will just move on to another breed.The point of the DDA was to try & prevent attacks,no impact has been made whatsoever.

Say your breed was responsible for attacking & killing a child,should we cull the whole breed?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Perrodeagua.
Can you find statistics that show the severity of attacks by labradors, and deaths also, that compare in any way to the amount of attcks by Pit Bulls. Attacks of a severe nature are always reported. I actually agree that labrador temperaments are nowhere near as good or as reliable as they used to be, however to put them is the same category as a PB is just not acceptable.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
No it won't suze,
They will just move on to another breed.The point of the DDA was to try & prevent attacks,no impact has been made whatsoever.

Say your breed was responsible for attacking & killing a child,should we cull the whole breed?
You keep saying that Sal, but where is the evidence to support it? If you are talking of dog fighting, then its never going to stop, call the dogs whatever you like, however if the PB was banned, then all these dogs people say roam, get loose or are pets, that cause such injuries wouldnt be here to do it would they? lets face it how may PB's that have inured people are fighting dogs? I think you will find that a fighting PB will have a very good temperamnet towards people.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Stats are unreliable Dawn....

They are usually based on what the public thought the breed was......
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:57 PM
If we want to stop unneccesary deaths then all cars should be banned, they are responsible for far more deaths and horrendous life changing injuries than any breed of dog!
Becky
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 09:57 PM
i dont agree dawn, yes there have been reports and yes there are dreadful injuries/deaths caused by dogs. A pitbull will do ,more damage than a similar sized breed due to its powerful jaw etc.

However, there are no statistics recorded that show accurate figures for death due to pitbull/dog attacks. There are insidents reported, but the actual figures etc are a little blurred as their has been pitbull caused deaths but these are rare and thus when they overall dog bite numbers increase its all blamed on pitbulls / rotties etc when in fact its just that these cases stand out more due to it being a fatal attack.

Theres not much mention of other deaths at the hands of other dogs eg: 6 week old baby mauled by a pomeranian in october 2000 ( USA)

Fatal injuries are rare, but yes pitbulls have been respnsible for some of them.
But again take them away wipe them out etc you will just get another breed preyed on.

take the rotties that killed the baby in the pub - was their an amnesty on them - did people have to hand over family pets ?? No, but because a "pit type " dog killed a little girl in merseyside people get their family staffies seized ??

its a dangerous territory to get into - you dont deal with the problems and every time its the breeders/owners who are not held accountable.

We in this country need stricter laws on cruelty, animal ownership and the RSPCA need police powers to act on offernders.

As far as the US is concerned i think a huge issue is chained dogs, something like 89% of dog attacks are on the owners property so that says it all as far as i am concerned.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »