View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Ramble, I am failing to understand how a dog trainer is being irresponsible if your dog is already vaccinated.

As has been mentioned before, because your dog has been jabbed, why is it at any risk from the other dogs?
Surely it will be all the unvaccinated puppies will be at risk and yours will be safe?

Also, if your dog is not jabbed, it runs just as much risk from just being out and about on the street as it does in a training class, so I cant understand why the trainer needs to hold the responsibility if an owner decides not to vaccinate.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 05:47 PM
what?!!!!!!

jess you work with electric collars??!!!!

no need for them! they should be banned!!!!!

do you know how bad you sound.......

puppys no vaccinated are allowed into your 'training school' - you then probably reccomend the electric collar to some pillock who miss uses it - omg i cant believe you actually agree with no vaccinations and the electric collar

for once on dogsey i am totally discusted....never have i been so shocked about a topic on here before - and i have been here for a long time
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by fimberly View Post
Ramble, I am failing to understand how a dog trainer is being irresponsible if your dog is already vaccinated.

As has been mentioned before, because your dog has been jabbed, why is it at any risk from the other dogs?
Surely it will be all the unvaccinated puppies will be at risk and yours will be safe?

Also, if your dog is not jabbed, it runs just as much risk from just being out and about on the street as it does in a training class, so I cant understand why the trainer needs to hold the responsibility if an owner decides not to vaccinate.
but thats not the point - all dogs sould be vaccinated - it can be spread round (diseases i mean)

what we are all discusted is is that - a 'dog trainer' allows unvaccinated dogs/pups ON THE FLOOR NOT CARIED into the hall or field wherever etc - its not right - at all

thats the point!!!!!!!!
*sorry am angry -not at you!!!*
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
LOL.

I do not advocate the use of ecollars. I have used one on my own dog, and I do not think that anyone should have an opinion on things they don't know the full story about. As they say a little learning is a dangerous thing, and I think that you proved that with your comment on titre testing.
I seem to remember there was a ong and involved (and locked) thread about you using an ecolar on your dog becuase it worried livestock when you were on your horse. I'm commenting as someone who was heavily involved in that thread and it is one of the threads on here i remember very well indeed.
What did I prove Jess?
I think it is totally irresponsible to not vaccinate pups. Personally I have my dogs boostered every year..why? Purely because there isn't a year goes by I don't have a small pup in the house and I am not prepared to risk its health.
As for titre testing...I would rather people who were concerned about over vaccination were responsible enough to make some effort to check on their dogs immunity levels...AFTER they have had ALL of their puppy vaccs.

It has been a year since I have been on here, and I could have come on under a different name. I have nothing to hide from anyone, and people that know me and have been to my classes will know that I now advocate postive training methods even for the severest of cases.
I'm very pleased to hear it but I am wondering what training you have had in that year that has given you the confidence and knowledge to set yourself up as a positive, reward based trainer? What qualifications do you have?
I think it is a natural thing to develop, and better yourself which I feel I am trying my best to do.
Brilliant and no one can blame you for that, but I think you should have the knowledge and information to hand and the experience (and lots of it) before setting yourself up as a trainer...
It does not matter to me what you think of vaccinations, but I am happy to debate the matter as I have alot of knowledge on the subject!
Okay Jess..so you have laid down the debating gauntlet so to speak... :smt002
If you don't advocate puppy vaccs...what do you think would happen to the dog population if no vaccinations were given? Do you think that diseases like parvo and lepto would disappear?
Do you think that those that don't give puppy vaccs are relying on those of us that do? Relying on the general dog population being as immune as possible to these killer diseases...so that their unvaccinated dogs can be relatively safe?

Personally, as I've already said, I vaccinate because I am not about to risk the health and welfare of my dogs...if something happened to them I would never forgive myself.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 05:54 PM

I have explained this already.
I am not willing to risk the helath of ANY unvaccinated pup...nor am I wishing to risk the health of my vaccinated pup...vaccination is never a total gurantee (how do I know...my son caught measles AFTER his MMR, but had a mild dose (still incredibly ill though) because he had been vaccinated..........
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
what?!!!!!!

jess you work with electric collars??!!!!

no need for them! they should be banned!!!!!

do you know how bad you sound.......

puppys no vaccinated are allowed into your 'training school' - you then probably reccomend the electric collar to some pillock who miss uses it - omg i cant believe you actually agree with no vaccinations and the electric collar

for once on dogsey i am totally discusted....never have i been so shocked about a topic on here before - and i have been here for a long time
In fairness to Jess she has said she doesn't advocate their use anymore.....
She used a shock collar on her own dog when it was worrying livestock and she wanted to ride her horse when exercising it so she couldn't put him on a lead.
She has said she now favours reward based methods.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have explained this already.
I am not willing to risk the helath of ANY unvaccinated pup...nor am I wishing to risk the health of my vaccinated pup...vaccination is never a total gurantee (how do I know...my son caught measles AFTER his MMR, but had a mild dose (still incredibly ill though) because he had been vaccinated..........
spot on ..........................
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In fairness to Jess she has said she doesn't advocate their use anymore.....
She used a shock collar on her own dog when it was worrying livestock and she wanted to ride her horse when exercising it so she couldn't put him on a lead.
She has said she now favours reward based methods.
fair comment my appologies

stilll dosent make it right though - i dont like them tbh

i still dont agree with this vaccine thing

stupid and asking for trouble..............
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Breath Suze....breath lol

Like people, not every dog can have jabs. My Riley for example had severe vaccine damage after his puppy jabs (he became paralised in his back legs) and has not been allowed to be vaccinated since. He is going to have to get the non combined vaccine every 3 years and another 1 every year and hopefully he wont react to it.
However vaccine damage is a huge worry to many owners and I can understand if they make an educated decision not to vaccinate. One of my cats has also suffered really badly from it and if I was to get another kitten, it would be jabbed in the tail incase there are any problems (sorry, slightly off topic).

If a dog is not vaccinated, it could possibly be a carrier of an illness.....BUT......I cant see how your vaccinated puppy would be at risk more in a training class than out in the real world.

And as for ecollars.......thats not what this thread is about, its a little off topic and is based on a locked posting from a year ago.

Sorry, thats my 2 cents worth
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Breath Suze....breath lol

Like people, not every dog can have jabs. My Riley for example had severe vaccine damage after his puppy jabs (he became paralised in his back legs) and has not been allowed to be vaccinated since. He is going to have to get the non combined vaccine every 3 years and another 1 every year and hopefully he wont react to it.
However vaccine damage is a huge worry to many owners and I can understand if they make an educated decision not to vaccinate. One of my cats has also suffered really badly from it and if I was to get another kitten, it would be jabbed in the tail incase there are any problems (sorry, slightly off topic).

If a dog is not vaccinated, it could possibly be a carrier of an illness.....BUT......I cant see how your vaccinated puppy would be at risk more in a training class than out in the real world.

And as for ecollars.......thats not what this thread is about, its a little off topic and is based on a locked posting from a year ago.

Sorry, thats my 2 cents worth
Jess questioned me questioning her as a trainer and I responded bringing the ecollar thread up, therefore at that point it was relevant.
In a training class the dogs are in closer contact and therefore more likely to pass illnesses around.
I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with vaccinations, you are one of the very unlucky minority and I hope your dog and cat are okay.You are especially unlucky having both of them suffer.

I am guessing you know Jess.
Page 5 of 41 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »