Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you think 12 weeks is to young to neuter a puppy
yes 83 83.00%
no 12 12.00%
dont know 2 2.00%
sitting on the fence 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 37 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I suppose it's what a breeder would consider more important; risk their pups adding to the unwanted dog crisis or risk their pups not being able to further the breed.
But if all breeders neutered everything other than that which they kept you'd be a) destroying the gene pool and b) risking the breed because no other person would be allowed to breed and so no-one to take over when we all get far to old to breed!
Becky
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Tried googling it but nothing coming up If you come across it again would you mind letting me know please
Salmeri KR, Bloomberg MS, Scruggs SL, Shille V.. Gonadectomy in immature dogs: effects on skeletal, physical, and behavioral development. JAVMA 1991;198:1193-1203

HTH :smt001
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
I dont think its a bit harsh-Im sick to death of bullies on this forum and others. Malady NEVER posts about their dogs or anything to do with them- only on threads to wind people up. Im tired of these people being defended.
This idiot has upset lots of forum members and im not prepared to allow this to continue .So Im out of here as I hate to see bullies being held up as heroes. Good-bye.
Don't go!
If you or anyone else aren't happy with what someone posts you can report the posts and mods will look at it.
Dogsey is a very friendly forum and people are generlaly very polite when posting, even in debates (some of the people I admire most on here are people I have clashed with on some threads,we have developed mutual respect for each other because we've kept things calm and polite....we'll never agree on some things but I think they're brill anyway!)

I think the best thing we can do is not get personal...use the report post icon, thats what its there for.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
But if all breeders neutered everything other than that which they kept you'd be a) destroying the gene pool and b) risking the breed because no other person would be allowed to breed and so no-one to take over when we all get far to old to breed!
Becky
Could the ones that are going purely as pets be neutered or neutering followed up if against early neutering?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Salmeri KR, Bloomberg MS, Scruggs SL, Shille V.. Gonadectomy in immature dogs: effects on skeletal, physical, and behavioral development. JAVMA 1991;198:1193-1203

HTH :smt001
Thank you :smt001 but that article isn't against early neutering ie under 4 months it's against neutering before sexual maturity at 14mths + The studies tend to be for and against neutering before or after sexual maturity approx 18mths, not debating early neutering i.e 7 weeks to 7 months.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Sadly I'm not surprised.

A know of a few vets that were also dubious at first. Here's an article educating other vets on early neutering

http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/qs.htm
So you are saying that these "other" vets are correct? and the ones neutering babies are correct? and the ones that let animals mature first are wrong? I think you have been led a merry dance Anne, dont let people tell you what is right, you think for yourself!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Could the ones that are going purely as pets be neutered or neutering followed up if against early neutering?
What if the dog is bought as 'just a pet' but turns out to be a very good dog which the owner wants to show and start their own kennel from. If I'd neutered that one because when it was bought it was going as 'just a pet' then none of that could happen.
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Thank you :smt001 but that article isn't against early neutering ie under 4 months it's against neutering before sexual maturity at 14mths + The studies tend to be for and against neutering before or after sexual maturity approx 18mths, not debating early neutering i.e 7 weeks to 7 months.
Anne neutering BEFORE sexual maturity IS at 12wks!!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Have you read the Salmeri study? Part of it includes a comparison of the difference in height of bitches spayed at 7 weeks and those spayed at 7 months. In my mind that is to do with early neutering and not just neutering before maturity.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So you are saying that these "other" vets are correct? and the ones neutering babies are correct? and the ones that let animals mature first are wrong? I think you have been led a merry dance Anne, dont let people tell you what is right, you think for yourself!
All aspects of veterinary medicine have been taught, vets aren't born with their knowledge in veterinary medicine, they learn and continue to learn. Early neutering was once an new concept in America it is now common practice thanks to those professionals who studied it and passed their knoweledge onto other vets.

btw thanks for your concern but I do think for myself and also listen and learn from professionals more knowledgeable then me
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 37 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »