Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you think 12 weeks is to young to neuter a puppy
yes 83 83.00%
no 12 12.00%
dont know 2 2.00%
sitting on the fence 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Far too young.
Would never have a dog, or cat for that matter, of mine done younger than six months..even then i prefer to wait a little while.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 02:43 PM
http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html
Interesting reading also.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 02:45 PM
very interesting reading , Dawn thanks for posting xxdk
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I've never even thought of this before, as never had it mentioned to us.

Tonto is the first male dog I've owned, and he was done at 6months plus due to an undesended testes and also to calm his humping down. I don't think I'd have had him done otherwise.

Inca is the first female dog I've had done, purely because we didn't want to breed and the seasons were a pain for all concerned. I've had groups of bitches together before and not had them done, but they were all small dogs.

I've never had or thought there was a problem with leaving it til 6months plus, and was advised to let Inca have a season first, so I can't comment on the earlier/young spaying except to say I don't see a reason for it.

I would also say that if it is rescue, etc having dogs done to guarantee they are actually done, surely if the new owners can't be trusted to do this they shouldn't have the dog. Esp as many get vouchers as part of their rehoming package as financial incentive?
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
I've never even thought of this before, as never had it mentioned to us.

Tonto is the first male dog I've owned, and he was done at 6months plus due to an undesended testes and also to calm his humping down. I don't think I'd have had him done otherwise.

Inca is the first female dog I've had done, purely because we didn't want to breed and the seasons were a pain for all concerned. I've had groups of bitches together before and not had them done, but they were all small dogs.

I've never had or thought there was a problem with leaving it til 6months plus, and was advised to let Inca have a season first, so I can't comment on the earlier/young spaying except to say I don't see a reason for it.

I would also say that if it is rescue, etc having dogs done to guarantee they are actually done, surely if the new owners can't be trusted to do this they shouldn't have the dog. Esp as many get vouchers as part of their rehoming package as financial incentive?
well said hun , and a very valid point xxdk
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the link Dawn, I tried to find it to post but couldn't lol!
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Excellent point

That is what I was trying to explain on the other thread about breeders choosing owners through extreme vetting.

If an owner cannot be trusted to give you their word and stick to it, should they be trusted with a dog at all ?
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Regards animal size being an issue with ops- my boss's HAMSTER had a hysterectomy and no probs whatsoever with the anesthetic/op/recovery. I think age is more of an issue.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
Regards animal size being an issue with ops- my boss's HAMSTER had a hysterectomy and no probs whatsoever with the anesthetic/op/recovery. I think age is more of an issue.
Hence the reason for the thread !

Edited to add : Why on earth would you have a Hamster 'done' ??? Hamsters can't live together, and have to be kept separate, so why ??
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Hence the reason for the thread !

Edited to add : Why on earth would you have a Hamster 'done' ??? Hamsters can't live together, and have to be kept separate, so why ??
the hamster had a serious infection in her womb so had to have the op or be PTS. The reason I mentioned size is -if you read through some of the replies- some owners were concerned that they thought their their pup/dog was TOO SMALL for surgery....( irrespective of age)
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »