register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you 'do' dominance?
Yes I believe in the dominance/heirachy/pack theory 51 43.22%
No I don't 'do' dominance 42 35.59%
Have absolutely no idea 1 0.85%
Sitting on the fence 24 20.34%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lara'sYorkies View Post
Nope we don't 'do' dominance in this house, the dogs sleep on the beds, go on the furniture, eat before us, go through doors before us etc etc. Yet they are perfectly well behaved and a joy to live with. My relationship with them is based on love, understanding and mutual respect. I do not feel the need to be the 'alpha', we all live together in harmony. Plus at the end of the day i'm a human, not a dog so they have no need to form a pack with me

To be honest If I had yorkies or other small dogs I dont' think I would "do" it either.. BUT when you have dogs that are the same height as you on their back legs and stronger.. then I think its needed
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I agree Lou, and I feel many forget this bit !!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Malamutes are very talkative animals and play very rough.. what peope think of as growling and fighting is merely an arguement and playing..
My dobes do exactly the same things, but they also box with each other as well.

Here's two of the nutters in action: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=70317
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
My dobes do exactly the same things, but they also box with each other as well.

Here's two of the nutters in action: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=70317

And 2 of mine.. the bigger lighter one is the youngest and top dog.. the darker smaller one is bottom of the pack..but he lets her away with murder

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url
vickinicks
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
To be honest If I had yorkies or other small dogs I dont' think I would "do" it either.. BUT when you have dogs that are the same height as you on their back legs and stronger.. then I think its needed
Again I agree here our Neo mastiff can put his head on top of my head when he's on his back legs and I'm 5'8, he's 13stone, and he needs to know his place if he didn't then we'd have a huge problem! We're firm but fair and enjoy or dogs, yes we let them in the front room and sometimes on the bed, but only when invited.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 05:43 PM
I dont do dominance as such but if im challenged by any of mine then they're soon reminded of whose boss. Dogs constantly challenge our ability as being leader. It's up learning the signs and dealing with it correctly that makes us a true alpha or not.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 05:45 PM
I have come in a bit late on this one I dont do things like dominance rolls or such, but I do feed my lot in a particular order, because THEY them selves have set this order, they have not done it by fighting for top place or any such thing, but you can tell by the body language which dogs are ranked in which place, I normally let them get on with things without too much intrusion from myself, I do invite dogs on occassion to get on the sofa with me, but when I have had enough they are told to get off, which they all comply, I do not let them on my bed because that is MY personal preference in fact I dont allow any of them upstairs. I do however have respect from all my dogs and feel I am in charge of them, I am quite fluid in how I deal with the dogs, I have noticed though that with the breed I now own there is definately a pack mentality, than there was when we had x breeds many years ago, so there could be something in this being a sort of breed specific type thing, all I know is my dogs behave resonably well and more often than not listen to me when I ask something of them, non have ever shown aggression to me or challenged me or any of my family, they know PEOPLE are to be respected, I dont see myself as being a dog of a higher ranking I see myself as their owner and in charge and that I have the right to be respected by them, wether this is classed as being dominant I dont know to be honest. but like others have said the fact that I too own relatively large dogs its my place to teach them their boundaries.

Mo
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I didn't do dominance when I had two little dogs as they were little and I had no children.

Now I have a big dog and a son, I do do dominance to a certain extent.

They eat when they want as the food is always down so don't do the feeding last bit, but they aren't allowed on beds, upstairs, chairs etc.

It is hard with two totally different dogs, and Louise gave me some good advice when not following the pack hierachy caused problems (me letting Tonto on my lap etc was causing fights).
That has calmed down a great deal. We still have the rare spat as I still have essentially two big dogs, its just the little one doesn't know that and pushes his luck until he's told off by Inca.

I don't do any physical stuff, like the dominance rolls, etc, it's all psychological, following an order/hierarchy etc.

So I voted yes.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=beckyc;1163078]I
It is hard with two totally different dogs, and Louise gave me some good advice when not following the pack hierachy caused problems (me letting Tonto on my lap etc was causing fights).
That has calmed down a great deal. We still have the rare spat as I still have essentially two big dogs, its just the little one doesn't know that and pushes his luck until he's told off by Inca.

QUOTE]

Just popping in quickly, this is a genuine question, but was there a reason this was a pack thing as opposed to a resource thing?

Not saying it wasn't a hierarchy between dogs problem but wondered why it was ...if you see what I mean.

Wys
x
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Just popping in quickly, this is a genuine question, but was there a reason this was a pack thing as opposed to a resource thing?

Not saying it wasn't a hierarchy between dogs problem but wondered why it was ...if you see what I mean.

Wys
x
I don't know what you mean by a resource thing? or why you wonder why it was???

So no, I don't see what you mean?

Sorry.
Page 6 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »